đź”· Open Thread

There is something specifically human about 12 inches, 5280 feet, 100 yards. Metric makes more sense, but it doesn't have that romance. No one in this country is impressed by 110 meter home runs, we like 400 ft home runs. Its part of who we are. Aren't American scientists already using metric? If so then lets keep the more human life measurements what it's people want. As far as fahrenheit goes, really Celsius is no better. So water works perfectly for celsius, 0 degrees if solid water, 100 is water vapor (at sea level), but what about every other substance, then the numbers are just as random as fahrenheit. And again fahrenheit is more of a human measurement. 0 degrees F is fucking freezing, 100 is a fuckin scorcha!

There's some truth to this. An average human walking speed is 3 miles per hour -- at least both in my personal experience and in what Google Maps seems to use to calculate walking times. And a typical bicycle speed is 12 miles per hour, a mile every 5 minutes.

Obscure semi-relevant fact: The north-south cross streets of Somerville (Walnut, School, Central, Lowell, Cedar, Willow) are at 1/4 mile intervals. On foot, you'll cross them at 5 minute intervals.

There is something specifically human about 12 inches, 5280 feet, 100 yards. Metric makes more sense, but it doesn't have that romance. No one in this country is impressed by 110 meter home runs, we like 400 ft home runs. Its part of who we are. Aren't American scientists already using metric? If so then lets keep the more human life measurements what it's people want. As far as fahrenheit goes, really Celsius is no better. So water works perfectly for celsius, 0 degrees if solid water, 100 is water vapor (at sea level), but what about every other substance, then the numbers are just as random as fahrenheit. And again fahrenheit is more of a human measurement. 0 degrees F is fucking freezing, 100 is a fuckin scorcha!

People who grow up with the metric system will immediately think "scorcher" when you say it's 40 out, and wonder why you're so worried about it being "below zero". For them, metric measurements are intuitive. If the US went metric, it would be this way within a generation as well. "Human life" measurements are really only what we come to accept as "normal" when we're at an impressionable age.

Yea I suppose your right. And metric is far better for science, but I'm a foot and miles kind of guy.

But if we were using metric, we would never have this quote:

Mae West: How tall are you, sonny?
Sailor: I'm six feet, seven inches.
Mae West: Let's forget the six feet and talk about the seven inches.

(Okay, I rephrased the joke.)

It's more fun to grow up on the metric system and then be left trying to figure out why everything is a damn fraction. Silly Americans and their decadent system of measures.

The fall foliage photo at the bottom right of that page ... isn't this either the Frog Pond on the Common, or the Swan Boat Pond in the Public Garden? It certainly is not anything in the vicinity of this hotel.

The fall foliage photo at the bottom right of that page ... isn't this either the Frog Pond on the Common, or the Swan Boat Pond in the Public Garden? It certainly is not anything in the vicinity of this hotel.

They're just advertising local attractions/areas. Marriott has a really good marketing team that makes some bizarre stretches in the way they word/show things.

It would be a better advertisement if it labelled the photo, so that hotel visitors could find where it is in the city.

sorry for the size.

online_communities_2_large.png

206553_10150132326677669_528512668_6753248_28264_n.jpg

Made of solid Kevlar, weighs just 2 lbs, and shoots heat-seeking diamond bullets filled with C4 isotopes making it incredibly radioactive and explosive at the same time upon impact. Fires at a rate of 1000 rounds per second... minimum. We could not find a clip long enough to last a full second so we're not sure. A trigger is not necessary as it's computer guided technology (located inside the stock and grips) fires at enemies automatically. Grips and stock are necessary due to massive recoil, and it has actually been confirmed to rip off arms of any weakling foolish enough to use it, and send their severed arms into orbit around the sun. Also functions as a secure wifi hotspot.

It's been dubbed "WW-3".

196824_10150132347867669_528512668_6753487_808415_n.jpg

The deadliest knife known to man: the QWERTUIOP-9001. With an accurate range of several thousand AU (100 million miles each AU), and a scope capable of seeing the very edges of the universe itself, there is nothing more deadly nor more accurate than the QWERTYUIOP-9001. The blade of this finely serrated knife is said to be made out of an element which hasn't even been officially recognized by the scientific community yet. It is said to be poisonous to the touch, and causes chemical reactions which turns blood to acid. This new element also features antigravity qualities, meaning it is lighter than 0 pounds. The clips are cleverly hidden inside the grips and contain bullets made of nanobots which are attracted to concentrated neurological activity (meaning they will travel through their victims and attack their brain). For best results, stab your first victim or two, and then shoot everyone else using their corpses as silencers to prevent the inevitable sonic boom from giving away your location.

I can believe that Chicago does better. That list almost certainly takes into account the metropolitan area, not just the city (Toronto proper is nowhere near as dense as New York). Boston, because of its make up as a metro area that just sort of enveloped existing towns that once upon a time where not connected to the city in any meaningful way because the distances were too great for the transportation at the time, whereas other cities grew and the suburbs sprouted in reaction to the city.

Take, for instance, the examples of Newton and Evanston, IL. Both are similar in population (Newton: 85,000; Evanston: 75,000), both are approximately the same distance from the downtowns of their respective core cities (about 10 miles) and both are home to a large college/university. However, Evanston has a population density of over 9,000 per square mile and is more centered around a single pole that has excellent transit links into downtown Chicago (subway and Metra commuter rail). Newton, on the other hand, has a population density only about half of that of Evanston and is still organized around its multiple villages. While some of these areas are well-served by the D Line, much of Newton is better off just jumping on the Turnpike if headed into the city outside of rush hour.

Also, Chicago has a suburban bus system, PACE, that has no Boston equivalent. It provides, from what I'm told, decent service throughout many suburbs that, under the MBTA, would probably be much worse.

That said, the numbers are somewhat surprising given that, just like Boston, many of Chicago's farther flung suburbs like Schaumburg are home to huge, suburban office parks and the region as a whole is fairly decentralized.

I also think of Northwestern University as central to Evanston's identity, while Boston College is peripheral to Newton's (and half of it is not even in Newton).

Does anyone know if that black guy who's always on the Red Line who is "HIV positive" is legit? I see him all the time. ALL THE TIME. So it makes me think so. But then again, I see Spare Change Guy all the time and he's not even homeless.

I gave him a 2-dollar-bill one time for the lols. I'm wondering if it actually went to an AIDS fund or not.

Back