🔷 Open Thread

It is 1:32 AM, and according to the counter at the bottom there are 3 members and 90 guests on the site. What are they looking at? Let's have a look... Ok, the 3 of us are looking at the same old shit. But most of the 90 "guests" are "searching forums". What gives?

but how many search engines are there these days? Google, Bing, Yahoo (or are they just Bing repackaged now?), DuckDuckGo, Blekko, .... what else?

My guess would be that different engines send out multiple bots looking for different types of data and files (text, images, pdf, etc)

Just a guess though.

It's Baidu. They just showed up recently. Spiders aren't supposed to show up as guests--none of the others do. I find it annoying and hope to have it fixed soon.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. As a dog, I can relate to flea problems.

us-denominations.jpg

religion.jpg

Ok then, "what the heck are these arches made from?" Now we're good. ;-)

Still a triumph for architecture. Thx for the background info though.

Er...yeah, Nagasaki is in extreme southwest Japan, basically swimming distance from the Korean peninsula, while the tsunami wreaked havoc on the northeast. About as different as you can get for such a small nation.

Those "arches" are called torii, the most ubiquitous and recognizable structures associated with the Shinto religion. I'm sure everyone's seen pictures of Itsukushima shrine in Hiroshima...

300px-ItsukushimaTorii7381.jpg

Boston.com
The almost match: Facebook and Boston
By Michael B. Farrell
Globe Staff / November 1, 2011

If Facebook cofounder Mark Zuckerberg had to do it over, he might have kept his online social network, which today has more than 800 million users, in Boston.

Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, famously hatched the company while he was a Harvard University undergraduate but moved it to California’s Silicon Valley, where it grew into the multibillion-dollar enterprise it is today.

Asked Saturday at a Stanford University forum what he would do differently, Zuckerberg said he might stay local, a video of the event shows.

“If I were starting now,’’ he said, “I would do it very differently, but I knew nothing back then. Honestly, if I were starting now I would have just stayed in Boston.’’

Zuckerberg said Silicon Valley’s attention span lacks “long-term focus’’ and its culture often does not value commitment. “A lot of the companies that have been built outside of Silicon Valley . . . seem to be on a longer-term cadence than the ones in Silicon Valley.’’

The comments struck a chord in Boston. The fact that Cambridge saw the birth of one of the Web’s biggest innovations - and of a company that has been valued at $80 billion - but lost it to California has been a sore point.

“What I was pleased to see is that he’s acknowledging that Boston can hold its own,’’ said Michael Greeley, a general partner of Flybridge Capital Partners, a Boston venture capital firm.

Many investors have said Boston has a strong roster of companies but lacks brand-name consumer companies like Facebook, Google Inc., and Apple Inc. “If Facebook had stayed,’’ Greeley said, “we would have had a dozen other companies that would have been started by Facebook employees.’’

Zuckerberg said his point was that upstarts don’t need Silicon Valley to succeed. Still, California at the time was the right place. “I had to be [in Silicon Valley]. Facebook would not have worked had I stayed in Boston.’’

Michael B. Farrell can be reached at michael.farrell@globe.com.

Sounds like Menino should hire him for SPID PR... and there's still plenty of room in the SPID to build a new Facebook HQ!

That's rly cool how he's acknowledging that Boston can hold its own though.

Back