đź”· Open Thread

Will you never stop? I mean, being the opposite of a gentleman? Seriously, dude cant you read?

If you have a problem with someone on WiredNY or SleepNY, then take it up with them. You can PM archnyer at WiredNY at your link or on SleepNY here. Don't bother me about it - I've received no complaints about archnyer.

It's obvious from your posts here and elsewhere that you have a problem with dissent and now accuse everyone of being in cahoots.

I am sorry that I can't be more obedient to your brand of paranoia.

That said, this thread should not be about your personal problems.

Boston Globe - July 17, 2010
SUMMER IN THE CITY
Blocks away, urbanites find season?s splendor

By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff | July 17, 2010

In the hierarchy of summer destinations, New England?s resplendent array of beaches is undisputed royalty. Crane and Coast Guard. Scusset and Siasconset. Wingaersheek. The surf and sea breeze, the shimmering shorelines. The perfect summer getaway.

If you can muster the energy to get there, that is.

For many Boston-area residents, a day at the beach is often a bridge too far, demanding a bit too much time and effort. Packing up the car, fighting traffic, waiting in line for parking, all for a postage-stamp patch of sand by numbingly cold water? Maybe next weekend.

So for the carless or time-crunched, for weary workers and harried parents, the city?s parks and playgrounds, roof decks, and riversides provide a quick escape and a sweet respite from the urban grind.

At the Public Garden and Paul Revere Park, along sun-splashed stretches of the Greenway and Esplanade, from Post Office Square in the Financial District to Peters Park in the South End, many city dwellers spread their beach towels and work on their tans in the heart of the city. They?re used to the sirens and don?t miss the gritty sand and scavenging seagulls.

Sure, the neighborhood park might not be as glamorous as a day trip to the ocean. But in a city where winter can seem to last half the year, warm, sunny days can?t be squandered, many say.

?You don?t need to travel to find the sun,?? said Jenna Albers, a 24-year-old from Beacon Hill whiling away Thursday afternoon on the Boston Common.

While some took full advantage of peak tanning hours, the powerful sun kept many in the shade and sent throngs of families to the Frog Pond wading pool in search of relief. Young children splashed and sprinted through the shallow water, ignoring parents? pleas and the occasional lifeguard?s whistle. Families used park benches as their plot of sand, covering them in towels, picnic baskets, and coolers.

There was no sea breeze, but a watery mist helped brush the heat away. And merciful shade was only steps away.

For children, Frog Pond is a magical place. On one side, there is a merry-go-round. On the other, the Tadpole Playground, with sprinklers and fountains, and a nearby face-painter. They could be happy for hours.

Midway through the afternoon, three mothers brought their eight children to the pond, delighting as they found a good-sized square of shaded grass.

?Perfect,?? said Amy Narvaez, a 30-year-old mother of two from Roslindale, as she and the children stretched out a blanket. ?What a spot!??

As the children scrunched on to the blanket, Narvaez opened up the picnic basket and started handing out lunch. Ham-and-cheese sandwiches, fruit, and Capri Suns. The children, none older than 10, dug in. The faster they ate, the sooner they could be in the pool.

At the Christian Science Center yesterday, crowds thronged to the campus?s popular pool and fountain as if it were a water park. Luz Ruiz, a 32-year-old from Everett, even brought her 7-year-old?s remote control boat. Until then, he would just splash.

Adults need to splash sometimes, too, said Roger Lussier, a 27-year-old who took a five-minute break from his pedicab to run through the fountain.

?I went in shoes and everything,?? he said, laughing as water droplets freckled his glasses and dripped from his baseball cap.

Along the Charles River in Brighton, the sun and shade were in equal demand. Across a grassy field, 20-somethings chatted on the phone as they lounged in beach chairs, read page-turners, or drifted off into catnaps. Some lay perfectly still for long stretches, stirring only to reorient themselves to the sun or to grab a treat from Snowy Joe?s ice cream truck.

Most wore little clothing, but made sure to apply sunscreen. But some of the older crowd, while mindful of warnings about the sun?s damage, said they never touched the stuff.

?I don?t want to scare it away,?? quipped a 60-something Brighton resident named Lorraine, who had been roasting in the sun for several hours. Asked if she ever got burned, she frowned, as if letting a child know it was past his bedtime.

Across the way, a couple sat near the river. They sat on the asphalt?s edge, feet dangling. Behind them, bikers and runners zipped by. Before them, kayakers and rowers. Beyond that, a steady stream of cars and motorcycles rumbled along.

There was no sand or swimming, but it was only minutes from their Watertown home. They could come here for a short visit or stay until the sun went down. They brought shrimp and iced tea and swapped stories. As families packed up the children and the sun bathers called it a day, they laughed and lingered, in a riverside nook all their own.

Globe correspondent Sydney Lupkin contributed to this report. Peter Schworm can be reached at schworm@globe.com.

Gotta be honest. If there is one time of the year that my love of all things urban wanes it is July/August. When it gets above 80, give me trees, trails, lakes & beaches. About the only good thing the city provides in the summer is plenty of air-conditioned buildings to duck into to escape the heat.

If the city aggressively maintained street trees and allowed buildings on side streets to cast sufficient shadows on each other to provide ample shade, this part of the year wouldn't be so bad. Most of the greenery at street edge seems to be a token gesture made with a half heart. Anemic and underscaled in almost every instance. The utter paranoia against shadows and the complete disregard for the nature of diffused environmental light boggles my mind in this city. It's as if anything blocking the sun in the slightest fashion is going to induce the chilling darkness of space, while conversy the incendiary glare of the sun does not receive any scrutiny for what seasonally would be desirable abatement.

Nah, I can't really pin this one Boston. It is cities in general and specifically it is their typically greatest asset: density. When it's hot, being stuck in crowds of people sucks. Walking everywhere sucks. I don't want to share a T car with a bunch of gross, sweaty people, I don't want to have to push through a group of people on a sidewalk. I'm cranky, they're cranky, it's just a bad scene all around. I can only imagine this would be worse in places like NYC.

The worse time for Boston is February/March. This place is disgusting with the mounds of dirty snow, slushy puddles, ice, nasty weather, everything is still dead and all the filth that was buried under the melting snow.

edit: Everything you said still holds true though.

Saw Sam Adams at the HOB last night. That is one hell of a concert venue, even if the exterior architecture is tragically cartoonish.

^ Speaking of which, isn't nighttime during summer in the city pretty okay, at least?

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting burnt and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

And babe, don't you know it's a pity
That the days can't be like the nights
In the summer, in the city
In the summer, in the city

-- John Sebastian & the Lovin' Spoonful, 1966

my main complaint about the urban design here is that all housing is organized into walled complexes, which wouldn't be a problem if you can pass between adjacent complexes, but no, one has to go out of your complex to the street and take a circuitous route through the other complex's main entrance to get there. It's like suburban roads, taking a long distance to get somewhere that's close by as the crow flies, but just much higher density

well there's still a ton of street life, but yeah it is sorta close to Le Corbusier's vision (Eastern European cities are a lot closer to his vision, apartment blocks are more repetitive and zoning puts things in their designated areas)

1. This sentence contains four words.
2. This sentence contains five words.
3. Exactly one sentence in this list is true.

1. This sentence contains four words.
2. This sentence contains five words.
3. Exactly one sentence in this list is true.

Only #3 is correct. "Four" is a number, "five" is a number, and if either were correct then two sentences would be true in that list.

Yes? No? Kinda?

^^That is an interesting solution to the paradox.

There is no truth in this world.

Is that the moral of the story?

Shame.

I just had my first NIMBY moment (I'm over it now).

I live across the street from a cemetery, but as luck would have it there is a large berm in the section I live directly across from so as look out from the front of my house it looks like it is just a large park. You would need to strain your neck to the right to see any stones off in the distance. I just read that they plan on putting 120 new plots in the berm. Disturbingly, my first reaction was "No! My view!"

Ugh.

At least I don't have to worry about shadows. ;)

Back