đź”· Open Thread

And you should be ashamed...because every good urbanist knows that burials for dead people are a far better use of urban real estate than the open space you might foolishlty and instinctively hope to protect.

Based on where I live (and why) I would never call myself a good urbanist. A good urbanist is what I hope to someday be, if I can ever talk my wife into it. :(

Urban cemeteries are an interesting topic though. When I first heard someone say they were a waste of land I was horrified. As time went on, and learned more about urbanism I became more and sympathetic to the idea and now I see modern cemeteries as more or less ridiculous. Though, I must say, they do make neat (if unnecessarily large) time capsules. Hopefully, over time people will chose cremation and these large tracts of land will be put to better use.

I'm generally not too into bikes, but I love me some art deco.

Rhinebeck_2010_B1_102-tm1.jpg

Link

Speaking of sexy, I cannot wrap my mind around how starkly beautiful the Upper West Side Apple Store is. Bohlin Cywinski Jackson just astounds me.

uws_photo3.jpg

Especially when it's devoid of any life.

It burns my retinas:

tumblr_l5zbbqpONG1qzqvm2
Those are more urban than the seaport district and as far as land use aren't too different from the Back Bay or South End. If only the building typology, some mixed use retail/office/etc was introduced into that density, those neighborhoods would be praise worthy.

It's extremely autocentric though. It screams "car" and there seems to be zero mixed use or mingling of zoning.

The architecture looks a bit stale to me. Much prefer the Fifth Ave. and even Boston versions.

No way. This one seems so much more pure than Fifth or Boylston. This almost seems like it holds some sort of monument to Modern/Minimalism inside. I can't get enough of those stone walls. And the arced glass roof is just right, in terms of concavity and the amount of supports. This and Regent Street are my favorites.

photo_regentstreet.jpg

^ The Regent Street one is cool, because of the contrast between Apple minimalism and pompous neoclassical.

The UWS one? I haven't been, admittedly, but the curve in the ceiling looks a little too PoMo. Kills the sharpness of it all.

I thought Henry Siegel Co. (a short-lived branch of an NYC department store) was in the Washington-Essex building, not up here in Scollay Square?

It was probably just a billboard advertising them, not the actual location.

I was originally going to post this in the Walking in Boston thread.

^ 128 breakdown lane during rush hour?

Back