đź”· Open Thread

A police car parked in a dedicated Silver Line lane in front of a fire hydrant in front of a Dunkins. Anything else? Was there a burning bus full of children nearby, too, while the cop was eating his donuts?

A while ago there was long, off-topic discussion about 'hipsters' and what they were and were not. This is about the best explanation I've seen:

Zmprs.jpg

Cool hipster poster. To me a hipster is someone who thinks they are above society's ills. B/c they don't shop in malls and own a car. But in truth the metal used to make their bike, was rapped from the earth. It was also probably mass produced using cheap labor. Their food was transported in by gas guzzling trucks. They all have cell phones which are run by companies on the stock market. And if they ever get hurt they will use all of technologies advancements, which involve chemicals, radioactive material, pharmaceutical companies (and the lobbyists who rep them), and rich doctors (who have country club memberships). So while I think they are less detrimental in general they still reap the benefits as well.

And on a musical note they think their music is truelly original, when infact its probably just a rip off of some 60's flower power band.

wow, that's a black & white worldview you have there. You should find a hipster to borrow some crayons from

Yeah, hipster does not necessarily equal hypersmug liberal. There's a lot of overlap, true, but it's also a well-documented hipster trait to be too ironic or apathetic to ram such do-gooder self-satisfaction down others' throats, even if it seems implied by said hipster's lifestyle. Not that such ironic detachment isn't annoying in and of itself...

That said, there are a lot of hypersmug liberals living in Cambridge / Somerville / Jamaica Plain who dress a lot like hipsters, but if you see them stopping to fill their biodegradeable hemp bag with granola from "Life Alive: Urban Oasis and Organic Cafe" (actual name of a new place in Central) on the way to a protest or community garden harvest, I probably wouldn't put classify them as "hipster", plaid shirt and beard or otherwise.

I've been playing music long enought to tell you most hippsters think they're better than you. Sure some are just dudes that keep it scruffy, and I can like them. The others act like their shit don't stink and go out of their way to look scruffy. I'm also convinced that they only wear nut-huggingly tight pants to get girls that like guys that wear tight pants. There ain't no way that they wear them b/c its comfortable.

But on the flipside I will give them they're due credit, they are less consuming. But like I said earlier they arn't off the grid either much to their dismay.

Boston's infrastructure costs would be way lower if it could get itself a road printer:

full_1289852502pavestones,brickroad,greenroads,hardscapes,greeninfrastructure,.jpg

Boston's infrastructure costs would be way lower if it could get itself a road printer:

full_1289852502pavestones,brickroad,greenroads,hardscapes,greeninfrastructure,.jpg

The unions would murder everyone involved in the implementation of that device and destroy any evidence it ever existed.

Can you imagine paving our streets with granite setts using that machine? It would be glorious......

Haha, maybe they would. Then again, they don't seem to complain about the other machines they get to use. In Mexico, I've seen vast teams of laborers chiseling kerbs by hand. Of course, everyone's brother can get this job...but the job must realllly suck.

5207682259_0b73915189.jpg
<-- Hipster Astronaut Turkey

5207686107_883a5f8a06.jpg

5207686469_34685084ec_b.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving, ArchBostonians! I hope you all had a good holiday. I'm thankful for the city of Boston, the MBTA despite it's many shortfalls, the people on this forum (minus one or two trolls), and various people important to my personal life.

Special thanks to those who serve[d] in the military and emergency services. :)

Didn't feel like starting a new thread or trying to find an appropriate one.

My town section Globe
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...n_zoning_chang.html?p1=HP_Well_YourTown_links

Proposed zoning code changes could alter the allowable height of the South End's Harrison Albany corridor to reach 175 feet.

Friday marks the end of the comment period on the proposal which city planners hope will draw development, including possibly a hotel, to vacant parcels on Albany Street near the Massachusetts Turnpike.

The plan targets six lots that connect the South End to neighboring districts to the north and south. Lower Roxbury and the northern-most portion of the South End, abutting Chinatown, would see increases in the allowable height for some parcels increase by as much as 105 feet. The South Washington area sandwiched between them, a destination for galleries, restaurants and boutiques, remains zoned at 70 feet, according to the plan.

"There's certainly a historical significance being preserved on Washington Street with the tight restrictions," says Nicholas Fedor, executive director for Washington Gateway Main Street, a business development organization representing Washington Street from Herald Street to Melnea Cass Boulevard. Fedor says his organization supports the development of a hotel along Albany Street.

Comments can be submitted to Carlos Montanez at (617)-918-4442 and carlos.montanez.bra@cityofboston.gov or Marie Mercurio at (617)-918-4352 and Marie.mercurio.BRA@cityofboston.gov. The comment period on the proposed changes will be accepted by the Boston Redevelopment Authority through the end of today. The city plans to finalize the changes by the spring of 2011.

Boston ComiCon is moving back to the Backbay next year! I don't blame them since they made all their fans wait in line outside for 1-1.5 hours in the cold. Backbay > South Boston Waterfront

Zukerman: NIMBYs ruin national economy

As terrible as the Great Depression of the 30s was, it had one big advantage over our current depression: the lack of NIMBYism (Not In MY Back Yard). What?s happening in the city of Newton reflects the national trend. Every significant project that can create revenue for the city to fix its infrastructure and public buildings and retain its middle class is met with ferocious resistance from local groups of special interest.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/news/x1316690708/Zukerman-NIMBYs-ruin-national-economy

lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again: We are a nation of spoiled children who will get what we deserve.

Nimbys are objecting to everything. Tower Verre is being held up (again) after having a 200 foot haircut, all because of the local opposition. I don't think it's the worlds greatest skyscraper, but the fact that they are building these in the city means that we are doing well. It's the same furore that erupted when Trump World Tower went up on the east side ten years ago. Now we think of it as a welcome addition and part of the furniture, even though it gets in the way of a lot of folk's view of the Chrysler Building.

Increase in the population density of college degree holders by US county over the last decade:

5234678734_b0631ae6ac_o.png

Also this:

5234086251_64d0e132a7_b.jpg

Just wondering, is this based off students' hometown or where they study.

Back