101-105 Washington St. | Mixed Use Complex | Brighton

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Looks like work has begun on the 101-105 Washington project in Brighton.
(Excavators, tree removal, pile drivers all busy this morning)

Excerpting Ty's post from another thread, as I believe this project is big enough for its own thread (73-unit residential on one side of parcel, re-built Synagogue on the other)

Some renderings released from the PNF in August (We aren't on top of things).

The BCDC has also unanimously approved this project.

v45wr7.png

2gtarzs.png

nn7gup.png

dxeels.png

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/d2daddd9-bf45-41e5-b6d6-2ee7f0511b54

I don't have pics, but the foundation for the underground garage is now pretty far along/dug out. The existing small buildings haven't been demo'd yet, and I am guessing that more foundation work will need to be done.

There are some high-quality renderings posted on the architect's site (similar versions of which tysmith posted previously):
https://www.rodearchitects.com/105-washington-residences

Thought I'd take a moment today to update several of the Brighton projects that are chugging along at a solid clip, despite being somewhat under-the-radar here on aB.

This development has been u/c for almost a year. It appears that construction of the right/rear-most structure (Mikvah building) is now complete, which would suggest that the new Synagogue portion will go u/c soon, followed by demo of existing Synagogue to make way for the apartment building.

Pic from a feature in Architect Magazine -
Residential building (73 rental units) on Left...Synagogue on Right:

I’m surprised that they are building this with all concrete.

I was surprised when Winthrop tower was cast in place as well as the Parcel 12 building. I read that cast/ reinforced concrete benefits has to do with slightly less design costs, material lead-time, easy to obtain materials locally and steel requires laydown space. The two towers and this building appear to be lacking laydown space so that could be some of the reasoning.

Still chugging along. I noticed they are installing a PVC / polymer window brand I have not seen before. I'm suprised they are not white. The top lite is fairly large with a thin profile, they must have reinforcing in the frame. We'll see if they hold up on the sunny side of the building.

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

Still chugging along...

Thanks for the updates in/around Brighton today @dhawkins . This project, in particular, is intriguing (in a good way). I cannot recall the last time (if ever) a 6-story residential building in this area was framed entirely in concrete. There are a couple of versions of renders upthread, but based on the massing and footprint your photos show, it seems like the design they're building is close to this one (though the windows have changed):

It seems like there's a chance it will have a nice brick facade. I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates in/around Brighton today @dhawkins . This project, in particular, is intriguing (in a good way). I cannot recall the last time (if ever) a 6-story residential building in this area was framed entirely in concrete. There are a couple of versions of renders upthread, but based on the massing and footprint your photos show, it seems like the design they're building is close to this one (though the windows have changed):

It seems like there's a chance it will have a nice brick facade. I look forward to seeing how it comes out.
The developer is local, maybe they care about construction quality - hence the concrete.

Heres what I could find, youre right the massing definitely lines up with the one you posted.

f69fd1_1827f6ea3c684543af27eaa73b5ed300~mv2_d_2896_2038_s_2.jpg

0.616795001486742675.png

f69fd1_f6ca867f81ff4ec6a417c62d89d705c2~mv2_d_3000_1250_s_2.jpg

f69fd1_1bc57e7a3a91434ca04bb5fdcdc70e10~mv2_d_7800_4914_s_4_2.jpg

0.972320001486742664.png

f69fd1_75c9984637b9484593d06050915c98e2~mv2_d_2484_1728_s_2.jpg

f69fd1_934a67e25e7d4c6e8ea3b62c62c1cda8~mv2_d_3372_3371_s_4_2.jpg

From the developers site Rode Architects

Starting exterior materials towards the back.
IMG_9551.JPG

It appears the air /vapor barrier is spray applied, I have not seen this product in use around New England. Brick can be started in the back, looks good and they have pre-cast window sills, that's nice!
IMG_9563.JPG
IMG_9559.JPG

Awning at entrance and Pre-cast materials
IMG_9565.JPG
IMG_9556.JPG

Last edited:
This building is of a demonstrably better quality than nearly any other residential construction in the area

as someone who knows nothing about construction quality, what makes you say that?

Back