1033-1055 Washington Street | South End

areiss

Reaction score
Initially part of EB80, this appears to have broken off now and has its own filings.

PNF:

Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (9).png

The design in a vacuum is nice, it ties into the south end in exactly zero ways. Go back to the drawing board and save this for someplace else
This part of the South End has never had much of an architectural identity to tie into (save the 5-10yr old new developments). Seems right at home among 'Ink Block,' 345 Harrison, and the other developments along Traveler and Herald.

The ped. connection/plaza between Shawmut and Wash is a nice touch, especially given the current lack thereof along this stretch. I hope the final landscape design is a little more imaginative than the current iteration, but at least the broader thought of a ped. connection is included.

A render sans balcony greenery would be more useful and honest about the ultimate appearance though. (Is it me, or are the balcony ppl super tiny?)

True, but still a tad monolithic.
Are we hoping for brick rowhouses here? These large buildings are pretty much the standard for any sizable parcel. Would more interesting shapes and breaking up the facades help?

I think given the context, it's pretty solid and I like the depth of the facade and cladding, with the offset balconies adding enough interest to prevent it from simply being a boring box.

I don't know why, but this feels very DC to me.

When every project arbitrarily refuses to pass the 12 story mark, then yes they would all fit right into that scourge of a city. The sad thing is I thought this corridor was (publicly with fanfare) zoned to be upward of 300', but nothing proposed comes close to that.

When every project arbitrarily refuses to pass the 12 story mark, then yes they would all fit right into that scourge of a city. The sad thing is I thought this corridor was (publicly with fanfare) zoned to be upward of 300', but nothing proposed comes close to that.
Only the edge by 1-93, along Albany has the high zoning (200 ft.). The rest of the New York Streets area is constrained by both height and FAR, to step down to the historic South End. They are building pretty much to the (recent 2012) zoning limits.

Last edited:
That's still under Menino though. Didn't we get something new under Walsh?
Not that I am aware of. That was a very serious multi-year master planning effort. BPDA was not just going to throw it out.

Back