11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Sometimes the refusal to sell out means you get two buildings instead of one and increased density. Worked for that KO space in Southie, iirc, but dubious here.
Density isn't everything. The old Boston Casualty Co. building (Sam Lagrassa's) is a cute architectural gem. Boston's downtown texture needs buildings like that.

fake trees on the renders?

Along with being a breathtakingly cynical gesture, if the trees shown in the renderings are fake, then how the heck are they going to accomplish this, so loudly trumpeted on the website?:

"will be one of the first buildings in downtown Boston to be Net Zero Carbon and will produce onsite or procure enough carbon free renewable energy to meet building operations energy consumption annually."

It baffles me that major architects don't bring their "A" game to Boston. Why not try to knock it out of the park and do unique things vs. glass boxes with fake trees on the renders?

Don't look at the architecture firms, look at the development firms paying for the architects.

When they have the meeting here online like they did for the Harbor Towers, im going to make a point to day this is way too short. Way too short.

When they have the meeting here online like they did for the Harbor Towers, im going to make a point to day this is way too short. Way too short.

And you expect the developer to take on more risk building more space than they think they can lease because you and a couple of other people really like tall buildings?

Public meeting next week: http://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2021/02/10/11-21-bromfield-street-public-meeting

IAG slideshow from a few days back available here: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/4d5vjrhn25vdlg7rfr8fya0cfeeudh70

Note that half the slides are devoted to the BPDA explaining* itself--i.e., its IAG and Article 80 processes--and have nothing to do with the proposal. Good grief.

*(cynical translation: defending itself, in its state of perpetual fear/paranoia, especially now given that Michelle "I love to dream about nothing else so much as dynamiting the BPDA" Wu might become mayor rather soon)

Public meeting next week: http://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2021/02/10/11-21-bromfield-street-public-meeting

IAG slideshow from a few days back available here: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/4d5vjrhn25vdlg7rfr8fya0cfeeudh70

Note that half the slides are devoted to the BPDA explaining* itself--i.e., its IAG and Article 80 processes--and have nothing to do with the proposal. Good grief.

*(cynical translation: defending itself, in its state of perpetual fear/paranoia, especially now given that Michelle "I love to dream about nothing else so much as dynamiting the BPDA" Wu might become mayor rather soon)

Fun to start a new game here on Archboston.

Compare the ratio of trees on ledges/balconies, etc. in RENDERS to the amount of trees on those buildings when actually BUILT.

This is the longest running Three Card Monte game being run. At some point I want to holler at these renders - - quit the bullshit!!!! Your VE'd damn building ain't gonna be Walden Pond.

Yes, why indeed should we build new Class A office space in the central business district?! What is this, a city?!

Even though it's only a few blocks over, there's a big difference between Washington Street and Post Office Square.

Furthermore, I think 617 was wondering whether there will be enough demand for office space downtown post-covid. Especially considering Winthrop Square rising now and South Station Tower on the horizon.

Clearly the developers think there will be demand in a few years... I agree. Covid is not going to be the death knell to commercial real estate that it looked like in April 2020.... mostly because a year later I think we've all learned how much most people hate working from home due to the fact they don't have the space for it along with kids and they enjoy getting the fuck away from their spouse.

I'll second the notion that isn't it the job of the developers to gauge the market for office space and not random people on an internet message board? If they're wrong that's their problem, right? We had people posting out here 6 months ago who were sure Winthrop Square and South Station projects were completely dead, for example.

Fun to start a new game here on Archboston.

Compare the ratio of trees on ledges/balconies, etc. in RENDERS to the amount of trees on those buildings when actually BUILT.

This is the longest running Three Card Monte game being run. At some point I want to holler at these renders - - quit the bullshit!!!! Your VE'd damn building ain't gonna be Walden Pond.
You can do that with the trees at ground level also! 5 years after completion it is bare sidewalk all around.

And you expect the developer to take on more risk building more space than they think they can lease because you and a couple of other people really like tall buildings?

Im not a big proponent of height as previously noted by my posts, but Downtown Crossing is the heart of the city and I would really like a 500-600fter that has Residential Space. But hey if they can make Office Space work, why not. I do think this spae should be developed a little better than it is. Lets also not bring up risk, its an office building.

Last edited:

Back