11 West Broadway

ParkerChris

Reaction score
*If this thread exists, please excuse and point to proper location.

Originally Board Approved as Leachmere Point in 2007:

Original approval: consist of 64 residential units, including 4,700 square feet of first floor retail (3 retail spaces), along with 69 underground parking spaces.

Stalled during recession, this project is now called 11 West Broadway, and consists of 50 residential rental units and 8,000 sf of ground floor retail.

Here are the latest pictures, presented to the West Broadway Neighboorhood Association last week:

11west.png

11west2.png

11west3.png

Does anyone know any more information on this project? I think it will be a HUGE improvement to the area, the missing link in the latest west broadway developments. Would love to see a pharmacy and/or grocery in the retail space.

I was told by a listing agent in a nearby building that they recently broke ground on this project within the last two weeks. I'm unsure of the credibility of that statement, but am also wondering about timeline for completion, as well as ground floor plans. This area could absolutely use a grocery store.

This is a no go in my book. We must preserve that white three-decker between the T and the church.

What is that, vinyl siding? Instant eyesore.

The Quiet Man Pub has been well, quiet for quite some time now.

This is a solid project and will be very popular with young professionals working downtown.

Here are some older renders that I found after some brief google-ing.

2008ish proposal photo:
JRIZX.gif

Older versions from 2006-7ish:
O1T9V.jpg

u99Pn.jpg

This is a no go in my book. We must preserve that white three-decker between the T and the church.

True, the drunks need an abandoned building to sit on the stoop of.

There were construction vehicles in the lot last week, but all that they noticeably did was move around some rocks and stuff. They are gone now. However I've heard from the WBNA that the three remaining buildings (aforementioned triple decker, Quiet Man Pub, and a another brick building) on the lot are to be demolished in the next week or so.

As for grocery, a lot of progress has been made on the soon-to-be Foodies building a block up. They are shooting for a Spring opening. That will be a huge benefit to the neighborhood, but it could use another grocery, large or small. A large grocer (hopefully Whole Foods) is rumored to be targeted for large empty lot on West 1st, but with all of the zoning issues on that street I'd be surprised if that ever pans out.

Good to hear about Foodies opening in the Spring. Great for the immediate area as well as surrounding neighborhoods.

Absolutely. Foodies and hopefully a pharmacy in this project should get the foot traffic on the streets (along with broadway traffic that exists) to boost retail interest in the vacant spaces in 50 West Broadway, Macallen and 9 West.

I was told by a listing agent in a nearby building that they recently broke ground on this project within the last two weeks. I'm unsure of the credibility of that statement, but am also wondering about timeline for completion, as well as ground floor plans. This area could absolutely use a grocery store.

I walked past yesterday and nothing has changed on the site. The Quiet Man as well as the parking lot are still there.

And I second the grocery store.

What is that, vinyl siding? Instant eyesore.

Not sure if it is vinyl siding or not. Overall though I think the design of the building is consistent with that of recent development/proposals in the area. First thing that comes to mind is West Square (which is anotherr project that I'm not quite sure about the status of):

west%20square-thumb-520x279-42061.jpg

Some might say that this look is "cheap" like comments on 50 West Broadway's thread. Regardless, I am glad to see that this area is open to change unlike the majority of South Boston. I guess going from abandonment helps.

New rendering will probably turn out better than the original design would have.

I dont understand why theyre leaving the T stop like that on the corner. Why not incorporate it into the building and add more sidewalk space?

Where is the Foodie's going? If I'd known they were building a Foodie's I would have never left CSP.

I dont understand why theyre leaving the T stop like that on the corner. Why not incorporate it into the building and add more sidewalk space?

I agree.. sort of like the new residential complex on Canal Street and that T stop. I'm guessing its due to cost. I'm all for whatever it takes to get this built, but would have been a nice addition.

I like the diverse materials palette and varying depths. Really gives the building dimension. Keeping that ridiculous T headhouse is really silly though.

I think it's cheap looking mess of a building. And its design and materials seem far below the quality of its close neighbors like the Macallen, Court Sq. Press or even the Allele (or whatever it's called) and the lofts next door to it. Certainly such a prominent spot deserves better.

Does anyone know, have there been any talks of developing the large lot next to The Cornerstone?

I read somewhere on a blog post about the original plan for 11 West, then called Leachmere Point, that Pappas owned the lot and was looking into developing on it in 2007 (didn't say what). It also said that Pappas owned the land that the Cornerstone is on. Not sure if it was a credible source though.

Back