115 Federal St. (Winthrop Square)

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, the developers hate the BRA and the NIMBYs, because they don't let them make money. I'm very sure they would be more than happy to have a group on their side, and I'm sure they could spare a little change...

We could be the Boston Development Patriots!!! Loyal to development in Boston!!! Also, I think that is a great idea, and I seriously think if you formed a group like that, things would really start getting done. Some people have said we don't have the numbers, but I disagree. I have always been for development in Boston, but I just found this site like 2 months ago and joined. I know that their are plenty of other people out there like us, who share these same ideas, but they don't have time for this site or don't even know it exists.
We must gather our forces and conquer the NIMBYS!
It's just like 300! :D
WE ARE BOSSTTTTTON!
(WOW, INTENSE)

kennedy said:
See, the developers hate the BRA and the NIMBYs, because they don't let them make money. I'm very sure they would be more than happy to have a group on their side, and I'm sure they could spare a little change...

so, say you decide to take the plunge and become a public advocacy group promoting commercial development in Boston -- what is your first step?

TheBostonBoy said:
WE ARE BOSSTTTTTON!
(WOW, INTENSE)

Bostonians! Ready your building codes and eat hearty, for tonight we build in hell!

singbat said:
kennedy said:

so, say you decide to take the plunge and become a public advocacy group promoting commercial development in Boston -- what is your first step?

Contact Vivian Lee and ask how to get our names in the paper all the time, duh.

We need to ally with this guy! 8)

"I think that this building should be taller," said Tony Yee, president of Chinatown Main Street. "Boston is like the corn fields compared to every other city."

First we should probably think of a name, and then write/publish some sort of mission statement.

I used to belong to PMI (project management institute) -- the US ISO rep that owns the ANSI project management standard PMBOK (project management body of knowledge). interesting group, good place to belong to, probably pay full freight to join for the third time someday.

the boston chapter organized a tour of the big dig while it was in progress, about 2 years from completion. we got an hour review of history and progress to date from the top project manager prior to getting underground. pretty fascinating stuff, especially talking with the guy who was on the hook for billions of dollars of work.

my point is that was a great way for the Mass Bay chapter to get its members face to face, involved with the group, and focused on what the group existed to do: improve project management practices.

maybe someone should write a note to belkin... (while someone else is doing the easy armchair stuff: mission statements, by-laws, etc...)

BostonSkyGuy said:
TheBostonBoy said:
WE ARE BOSSTTTTTON!
(WOW, INTENSE)

Bostonians! Ready your building codes and eat hearty, for tonight we build in hell!

A thousand towers shall descend upon the city of Boston! Our buildings will blot out the sun!

Then we shall sit in the Common in the shade!

I've been out of town for a week but if there's a group against NIMBYs count me in. strength in numbers.

This special feature covers a lot more than just 115 Winthrop, but rather than spend time digging up all relevant posts, I will just place it here. Whoever cares to can update the other pertinent threads as they see fit. It doesn't offer all that much new substance but for the visual learners out there, you will be pleased by the diagrams and and google earth type graphic for the greenway and SBW.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/special_projects/2007/futureofboston/

kmp1284 said:
This special feature covers a lot more than just 115 Winthrop, but rather than spend time digging up all relevant posts, I will just place it here. Whoever cares to can update the other pertinent threads as they see fit. It doesn't offer all that much new substance but for the visual learners out there, you will be pleased by the diagrams and and google earth type graphic for the greenway and SBW.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/special_projects/2007/futureofboston/
Wow from that picture, it looks like Winthrop Tower will be 1200+ feet to the spire.

The author of that article also emphatically states that construction will begin in 2008, and the building will open in 2011. Wishful thinking I think, but does he know something that we don't?

singbat said:
kennedy said:

Considering I won't take the plunge and lead on this thing, what I say doesn't matter. I'm in high school, I don't run public advocacy groups that are fifteen miles from where I live, during school. Doesn't work.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean I can't give input. First thing I would do is make sure I'm up to date on building codes, have a mission statement written down, and I would write up a petition/membership paper. I would then publish a .pdf of that, and place it on this website. Everyone would fill out their support. They would mail it to me. I would put it together, write a cover letter, and send it to the head of the BRA, Menino, Belkin (and many other developers/architects in Boston).

Oh, and I almost forgot-a name!

"Sure, You Can Put It In My Backyard!"

Lets show these NIMBYs that we're serious first!

BostonBoy--I suggest you lead the push for high density residential in your hometown of Bedford, NH. If we work together we can extend Manchester's tight street grid over the suburban cul de sacs and erase once and for all the postwar rape of pastoral lands that is suburban Bedford. I'm sure your home-owning parents can be counted on to help raise the first triple deckers!

Then its on to Assonet. LRFOX, we'll be relying on you to smash the NIMBY heathens who dare to block the east bank of the Taunton River's true destiny--an urban riverfront from Fall River to Taunton!! The NIMBY's will know our true wrath when we run SRTA's new Fall River to Taunton light rail line through their in ground pools and two car garages!!

Finally, kennedy will use his judgement to determine whether his 15-mile from Boston community is in need of the anti-Nimby patrol. If its a dense prewar town like Salem, Brockton or Waltham, we can give them the benefit of the doubt this time. But if its Weston, Sharon or Wayland, let them know our fury!!!!

Then its on to Boston! And on to VICTORY!!!

^^ I'd love to hear Howard Dean read this in his "I'm way off my meds" voice...Maybe we could put up a .wav or. mp3...

@Belmont Square- I appreciate your sarcasm. and I understand that your point is that suburbanites have no place in discussing urbanization and density.

I would also like to add, that my house IS on a cul-de-sac, with an swimming pool AND on the river (Assonet River, a Taunton River Tributary). So, I'm sorry to say i won't be leading the charge for making the Taunton River Urban from Fall River all the way to Taunton. We have enough problems with idiots protesting the tiniest of retail developments (Paine's Crossing for anyone who cares).

On a serious note, There are places for suburbs, open spaces, and pastures etc, and those places are not downtown Boston.

Boston is not my town. But it is my state capital. It's where a lot of my business and recreation takes place and that is why i chime in on this stuff. Boston is one of (if not the most) historical cities in the United States and also one of the most densely settled. It's one of the ten largest metropolitan areas (Assonet, MA is actually outside the metro if you did not already know that) in the U.S. and one of the world's largest concentrations of higher education and high tech industries.

Because of all that and it's Geographic proximity to me (yep, 40 minutes by car isn't all bad) i find it OK to chime in on the NIMBY problem. If they want open spaces, move to Assonet, or Bedford NH, or 15 minutes outside the city. But in order to preserve (that's what they want to do, preserve, right?) what makes Boston special to not only the residents of Boston Proper, Density should be preserved.

Old cities are dense. that's the way it is. Knocking down the old and building half-assed parks (See: Rose Kennedy Greenway) is not what makes cities better. My issue with Boston NIMBYs is that they are hypocritical; they want to preserve Boston, but want more open space. Not possible.

Preserve the dense urban jungle and history that make Boston Boston (great example- Filene's redevelopment). And leave the open spaces for the Common, the Fens, Assonet, Bedford NH, and 15 minutes outside the city. I don't see why it's a problem for people like me to chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back