1400 Boylston Street | Star Market & Gulf | Fenway

I don't think you guys are going to get any of this. Star Market is in the grocery business -- not the development business. They may build a larger grocery store -- but they are not going to go taller, add a hotel, residences, or offices.

You realize theyre owned by a very big company right?

You realize theyre owned by a very big company right?

Specifically, the one that did this:

pic_dev_wheaton_metro.jpg

Looks like just extra parking for the market for now:

Star Market buys lot to expand Fenway parking

West Bridgewater-based Star Market has bought a Gulf gas station parcel on Boylston Street next to the parking lot for its Fenway grocery store.

The company paid $16.9 million to Elias Enterprise LLC for the 0.41-acre property at the corner of Park Drive, according to documents filed with the Suffolk County Registry of Deeds. A Star Market spokeswoman said the parcel will be converted into additional parking for the store. The store and parcel are in an area undergoing a development boom in recent years." http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2017/02/the_ticker_16

Looks like just extra parking for the market for now:

Star Market buys lot to expand Fenway parking

West Bridgewater-based Star Market has bought a Gulf gas station parcel on Boylston Street next to the parking lot for its Fenway grocery store.

The company paid $16.9 million to Elias Enterprise LLC for the 0.41-acre property at the corner of Park Drive, according to documents filed with the Suffolk County Registry of Deeds. A Star Market spokeswoman said the parcel will be converted into additional parking for the store. The store and parcel are in an area undergoing a development boom in recent years." http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2017/02/the_ticker_16

Makes sense. I presume that Star Market would have waited to design the new building until after the deal had closed. So if that's true we have at least a year or two before they start construction on anything.

So whats going on here? Are they replacing the gas station or star market? Any renders? Whats up.

So whats going on here? Are they replacing the gas station or star market? Any renders? Whats up.

There's a reply four posts above saying it will become a parking lot in the short term. In the long term it will be developed with a new star market as the ground floor retail.

Would think if they demolished the station, they would have removed the pumps and dug up the underground tanks at the same time. Unless the pumps and tanks are owned by a third party.

I don't think the Gulf site alone is developable--they want to combine with the Star Market site. So once the grocery store has moved across the street to a new building, then we will see a proposal for this one.

Saving it for the next cycle?

I don't think the Gulf site alone is developable--they want to combine with the Star Market site. So once the grocery store has moved across the street to a new building, then we will see a proposal for this one.
Given that we now know that Star is moving over to the Landmark Center and Samuels will be doing the redevelopment here, I'd be surprised if the Gulf site ends up being combined with the existing Star site. I think it's more likely that the Star building and its Boylston St parking lot get combined into one development (although really the site is big enough for them both to be their own thing), and the Gulf site and Star's Park Dr / Peterborough St parking lot get combined into another. That'd maintain Private Alley 931 for access off of Boylston, much like the alley maintained between the Pierce and Fenway Triangle across the street.

These Star Market parcels are sneaky big. The Gulf site plus the abutting lot at the corner of of Park and Peterborough would be bigger than the lot the Pierce is on. If Samuels were to build along Boylston all the way from Kilmarnock west to the intersection with Park (covering the Star Market, its Boylston lot, and the Gulf) that'd be the longest block on the corridor and by far the longest single development. Kilmarnock to Park is longer than Jersey to Kilmarnock, and Jersey to Kilmarnock has three separate developments on its S side.

Samuels & Associates Development LLC (the "Proponent") filed a Letter of Intent ("LOI") with the BPDA on December 2nd, 2021 for the proposed redevelopment of the approximately 2.4-acre site at 1380 - 1420 Boylston Street in the Fenway, which is presently occupied by a single-story Star Market grocery store, a decommissioned gas station, and surface parking lots. As detailed in the LOI, the Proposed Project would revitalize the site with the construction of an approximately 553,000 gross square foot project, including approximately 498,000 square feet of office/research and development space, approximately 20,000 square feet of retail/restaurant/service and accessory uses and facilities on the ground-floor, approximately 30,000 square feet of enclosed loading and back of house space, approximately 5,000 square feet of civic/cultural space, and over half an acre of landscaped green space, with underground parking to support the building's programming.

Thank god this parcel is finally being proposed. The gas station parcel in particular is a dominant eye sore in the area given its prominent placement at the edge of Boylston. Too bad about no residential though..
The LOI does include both the gas station and the supermarket parcels. I know there was some thought about them being developed separately even though Star owned both.

According to the LOI, the project will create over a half acre of green space adjacent to the Emerald Necklace. The gas station and the parking lot to its south are about .9 acres combined, so there must be something going there aside from green space. I wonder if we are looking at two buildings on the whole site or just one. 550k square feet on just the Star Market site would imply about 15-17 stories depending on setbacks.

Back