171 Tremont Street | Downtown

I just can not believe how they chop it down because of shadows. this needs to be at least 2 times the height and 30 % thicker. I know it is a narrow space.

I think it was because of the bitches in the Ritz Towers.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but the current proposed dimensions of this one actually look pretty good to me. Sure, it could be a couple floors taller, but given the small footprint and that it fronts the Common I'm okay with capping it at the height of it's neighbors.

I'm usually all for fighting for more density, but on this specific project I don't think it's really appropriate.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but the current proposed dimensions of this one actually look pretty good to me. Sure, it could be a couple floors taller, but given the small footprint and that it fronts the Common I'm okay with capping it at the height of it's neighbors.

I'm usually all for fighting for more density, but on this specific project I don't think it's really appropriate.

I completely agree. As noted above, I favor more height and density maybe 90% of the time we have these discussions, but this is one place where the 255 foot iteration looks best to me. Higher is not ALWAYS better.

I say this on how I think it fits in at 255 feet, not because of any hurt feelings of neighbors if it went higher.

I also agree. Perhaps we are in the (formerly) silent majority on this one.

I agree, 255 looks correct. I think three hundred would look even better but the 400' and 500' ones just are silly. Personally, I don't really want very tall buildings along the common and prefer they be setback if they are going to be tall (e.g. Ritz).

I agree, 255 looks correct. I think three hundred would look even better but the 400' and 500' ones just are silly. Personally, I don't really want very tall buildings along the common and prefer they be setback if they are going to be tall (e.g. Ritz).

Agreed with all above.

Anti-American NIMBY communists, the whole lot of you!

^^Hahaha.

I also agree about the current dimensions. They are just right.

Another 50 feet would have been cool. But it looks fine.
The exterior finish will be of more interest for me. ToC and the next door 1980's floparoos set the bar low.
Why do I look at the Edison building and wish it were 250-300ft tall!

Beyond the residential tower, the project will include a “pocket park” that Cameron says will provide respite from the busy Tremont Street.

Oh thank God! Finally a park near Tremont St!

That shitty little parklet has more to do with preserving the views for the buyers than adding to the urban environment.

BCDC meeting tonight.

BOSTON CIVIC DESIGN COMMISSION DESIGN COMMITTEE MEETING

FEB 09, 2016
5:30 PM - 7:30 PM

Contact Name: David Carlson
Contact Email Address: David.Carlson@Boston.gov
Contact Phone: 617.918.4284
Type: Boston Civic Design Commission (BCDC)

1 City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA 02201

The agenda is as follows (times may be approximate):
5:30 PM Room 937A 171 Tremont

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho.../02/09/boston-civic-design-commission-meeting

171 Tremont got shorter... again.

Developer scales back ‘skinny tower’

By Jon Chesto GLOBE STAFF APRIL 14, 2016

15skinnytower.jpg

The Swiss developer behind a proposed skinny tower on Tremont Street overlooking Boston Common has shaved off more floors from the building — again.

Maurice Dabbah originally approached Boston officials with plans for a 355-foot tower, totaling 32 stories, at 171 Tremont St. Neighbors balked, and Dabbah’s team last year knocked the height back to 255 feet, and 20 stories.

The Friends of the Public Garden complained publicly in January about the project, citing a 1990 state law aimed at limiting shadows cast on the Common from new buildings.

So Dabbah lowered the tower again, to 235 feet and 19 stories, according to figures provided by O’Neill and Associates, a Boston public affairs firm representing Dabbah. The width of the tower remains at 50 feet.

Full article:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...adow-impact/TILsTkuYDyUEBmkp9gF6HJ/story.html

It doesn't matter at this point if it's 235 feet or 23.5 feet.

Back