The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Cool. It would be such a stunning and signature thing to do with a thin light strip at the top of the building, going around in a circumference. I was living in Manhattan on East 33rd Street the last 5 years for work, and my 20th floor balcony looked down 33rd to the Empire State Building. That varying light show on its top was always the highlight of my happy hours (IG: @motionhero). Incredible sight and feelgood for NYC. The past year I've been to Kansas City and Dallas, and both these cities are killing it with rooftop lighting. In combination with the Time & Temperature sign for Portland, wow, what a beacon draw for the city. It can't be that BIG a deal, except the installation, because LED lighting is relatively inexpensive. Maybe Pandora can offer a tip. Her signature lighting is all over the city.

Catherine may have been talking about the lighting in the park and not on top of the building. And I agree TC, simple LED lighting along the perimeter of the roofline would look amazing from all vantage points.

Catherine may have been talking about the lighting in the park and not on top of the building. And I agree TC, simple LED lighting along the perimeter of the roofline would look amazing from all vantage points.
Yes, was assuming that. I was transitioning to other accents for the building--notably lighting at the top. Accents can be key, and can make nearly anything pop.

Cool. It would be such a stunning and signature thing to do with a thin light strip at the top of the building, going around in a circumference. I was living in Manhattan on East 33rd Street the last 5 years for work, and my 20th floor balcony looked down 33rd to the Empire State Building. That varying light show on its top was always the highlight of my happy hours (IG: @motionhero). Incredible sight and feelgood for NYC. The past year I've been to Kansas City and Dallas, and both these cities are killing it with rooftop lighting. In combination with the Time & Temperature sign for Portland, wow, what a beacon draw for the city. It can't be that BIG a deal, except the installation, because LED lighting is relatively inexpensive. Maybe Pandora can offer a tip. Her signature lighting is all over the city.

Then you have Boston where the 750' 1 Dalton disappears into the night, with the 685' Millennium Tower close behind.

Yes! The artist got samples for their installation Friday and they are AMAZING!!! The artist is very excited. Have a meeting today on the proposed water feature specs/infrastructure we need. So moving along nicely! Next thing I really need to engage in is the lighting. The artist and the lighting consultant have been working together I just need to get up to speed. ~ C
As a landscape designer I hope that a lot of effort is put into implementing a reasonable and attractive planting plan for the development. This is too often totally ignored be developers and has become blatantly evident in Portland.

69033FEF-B3FA-4E57-B762-4914B91F25F9.jpeg

Steel rising

Great shot Corey, may I add this photo to the Portland skyline thread?

Last edited:
That photo really reinforces the "lid" that the city had put on the city's skyline with their historical height limit.

There is actually an overlay for taller buildings along Congress St., so long as they step back so as not to create a steep-walled canyon. But, most of that overlay is in the historic district (not going to redevelop the JB Brown block any time soon), by the time it was enacted the 80's building boom was over, and with bank consolidation the office space demand never recovered.

Back