The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

I know that some people want local but I'd like to see something like this....more dependable mix of food/merchandise and pricing.

242326-target-tribeca-storefront.gif
Unknown-1.jpeg

It's got to be a local store. I think the proliferation of Targets, Walgreens, Starbucks, Whole Foods and other national chains in our urban centers only contributes to them becoming more homogenous and boring. There are blocks of Manhattan now where the storefronts are all national brands. Why leave home? Blah!

It's got to be a local store. I think the proliferation of Targets, Walgreens, Starbucks, Whole Foods and other national chains in our urban centers only contributes to them becoming more homogenous and boring. There are blocks of Manhattan now where the storefronts are all national brands. Why leave home? Blah!
That's nothing new. I remember in the early '90s Dennis Miller delivering a bullet on SNL Weekend Update that went something like "The New York City Planning Department today made it official: every storefront in Manhattan is either a Chinese takeout restaurant, a fax outlet or a Benetton."

I want homogenous and boring when I go grocery shopping for bananas, milk, eggs, etc.

Again, bow street makes most sense by far. You get few aisles that are hannaford loaded with regular prices. Then you can add a deli and a great beer section and other goods. Please god not a rosemont. That is not for the everyday person with everyday needs.

On a random note, the Burj Khalifa is 14 times taller than this. Your move Redfern

At a more localized level, this would be the ~214th tallest building in the immediate Boston area (including Cambridge/Somerville/Brookline/Everett). Those numbers are from the skyscraperpage diagram here and include U/C. At 204' this comes in right after "New Julie Hall."

At an even more localized level, this will be more or less the tallest building in Maine! Your move, internet forum posters!

Does anyone know what the current "tallest building north of Boston" is? Caveat there's no good definition of that area, but I'll make one up:
  • In New England
  • North of the Mass Pike (note that this includes Worcester but not Springfield)
  • Outside 128
I know this isn't it (the two ugly boxes in Manch Vegas beat it out, for starters) but I'm wondering what it could be.

Does anyone know what the current "tallest building north of Boston" is? Caveat there's no good definition of that area, but I'll make one up:
  • In New England
  • North of the Mass Pike (note that this includes Worcester but not Springfield)
  • Outside 128
I know this isn't it (the two ugly boxes in Manch Vegas beat it out, for starters) but I'm wondering what it could be.

On the map it looks like Worcester comes in just South of Boston, so the tallest buildings would be the 2 in Manchester. Worcester happens to have 2 buildings taller than Manchester, with controversy surrounding the height of the older glass one. They're both listed as 289' but apparently the glass one might be missing the higher middle section in that calculation and really be just over 300'.

Tallest free standing structure is the Penobscot Narrows Bridge at 447'.

Tallest (any) structure that I know of is there is one of those radio/tv masts somewhere in the vicinity of Lake Sebago that's around 1600'.

Keep going out of Vermont and the tallest to the North are in Montreal. That city has a strict height limit but its tallest to the roof is 672', or 205m. Otherwise it is building a sea of buildings exactly 656' (200m). While it can't go taller without lifting the height restrictions, there have been rumors of a 900'+ in Quebec City for a few years.

Keep going the other way, out of Maine, and Halifax has a 320'.

EDIT: Let's throw in tallest monument, the Bennington Battle Monument in Vermont, at 306'.

Last edited:
Definition of a skyscraper has increased to either 100m (328') or 150m (492') :)
Could almost envision something as tall as 100m in Portland - A scaled down 333 Wacker (Chicago) would be cool, haha

Tallest (any) structure that I know of is there is one of those radio/tv masts somewhere in the vicinity of Lake Sebago that's around 1600'.
Thanks for all of that... wow! The TV mast in question is WGME's in Raymond, Me., which for a short time was the tallest structure on Earth until supplanted by a similar tower in the Dakotas. (It's easy to pick out at night, it's the one with an insane number of obstruction lights.)

Thanks for all of that... wow! The TV mast in question is WGME's in Raymond, Me., which for a short time was the tallest structure on Earth until supplanted by a similar tower in the Dakotas. (It's easy to pick out at night, it's the one with an insane number of obstruction lights.)

I feel like a pilgrimage might be in my semi-near future.

If you take Mark's first rule for the "tallest building north of Boston" and extend the boundary just 22 miles to the west of New England, the Erastus Corning Tower at 589 feet in Albany wins the title. It is also the tallest building in the state outside of NYC which includes Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. In addition, seeing that Cleveland is located south of Boston, Albany's skyscraper would be the tallest between Boston and all the way to Detroit as you head west while still remaining north of Beantown. I respectfully request a 22 mile waver from markhb in order to claim my prize!

Last edited:

Back