The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_3389.jpeg

Four more floors to go.

I'm highly anticipating the last vertical push - it seems like steel decking has caught up so I'm wondering if the supply chain/labor stuff is holding stuff up.

Each vertical addition with the columns has added four floors as evidenced by the notches. This whole process has been interesting to watch and a foreman on the site told me a few days ago that they expect to see the prefab exterior sections arriving in a few weeks. The entire building will be enclosed prior to the arrival of snow and frigid temperatures.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about construction and I'm sure there's a reason for it, but why put up half the columns and start building out the floor plate rather than put up all the columns first and then start building out the floor plates?

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I was out and about. Maybe they are waiting for the last delivery of columns and have decided to press on with what they have on site. From certain angles this building is rather imposing in comparison to the other nearby high rises. I need to check and see if it's as wide as Franklin Towers.

*** After a little research utilizing Google Earth, the podium of 201 Federal Street appears to be around 15 feet wider than Franklin Towers and the upper floors of both are pretty equal in width. Both buildings are around 50 feet wider than Back Bay Tower and 30 feet wider than 511 Congress Street.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max
Not the perfect angle for this, but 201 Federal rising over 83 Middle. I tried to convey depth in the image through the use of foreground and background power lines:

uahwselfougahsledkjf.png

You will need to answer to mainejeff for that photo, good luck! :)

Last edited:
^ Corey has a few photos in the 75 Chestnut Street thread that are worthy candidates and are reminiscent of a back alley in Bangkok!
42479310375_1fa9215eb7_b.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Basel, Switzerland to see a friend in July and I can't remember seeing any power lines. I'd say that city is about as opposite to Bangkok as there is with its modernity, cleanliness, lack of crime, and pleasant populace (and nearly everyone speaks English). I felt like I was in a movie the whole time, wondering when it would end. Yeah, it ended--when I flew back home to the states. However, the multiple trolleys downtown do connect to an elaborate network of crisscrossing thin power lines. They travel on meandering embedded rails and sort of interact with pedestrians and bicyclists. It feels weird when one creeps up beside you, and the operator merely nods to acknowledge that you can walk past. It's nothing like how it works in Boston--no horns. Now that's the way life should be. And I'm willing to bet that they are working on battery powered options for the future.

Last edited:

Back