The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

If you take Mark's first rule for the "tallest building north of Boston" and extend the boundary just 22 miles to the west of New England, the Erastus Corning Tower at 589 feet in Albany wins the title. It is also the tallest building in the state outside of NYC which includes Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. In addition, seeing that Cleveland is located south of Boston, Albany's skyscraper would be the tallest between Boston and all the way to Detroit as you head west while still remaining north of Beantown. I respectfully request a 22 mile waver from markhb in order to claim my prize!

Toronto would win hands down if you included Canada when going between Detroit and Boston. Otherwise you are correct about Albany's within the states. The tower actually sits in an even more awesomely dystopian plaza than Boston's City Hall, with a sibling of City Hall within that plaza!

DZH22, you did not request a waiver from Mark to include Canada! :)

Last edited:
If you take Mark's first rule for the "tallest building north of Boston" and extend the boundary just 22 miles to the west of New England, the Erastus Corning Tower at 589 feet in Albany wins the title. It is also the tallest building in the state outside of NYC which includes Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. In addition, seeing that Cleveland is located south of Boston, Albany's skyscraper would be the tallest between Boston and all the way to Detroit as you head west while still remaining north of Beantown. I respectfully request a 22 mile waver from markhb in order to claim my prize!
I appreciate your efforts, but I am disinclined to grant a waiver on behalf of the building that my collegiate friends and I called "Rockefeller's Last Erection", and there's certainly no hope to include the CN Tower in the mix! 🤣🤣🤣

I can't find the exact height and emporis is definitely estimating it wrong. (as an aside I believe they estimate based on floor count without adjusting for building type, which is a brutal way to do it) Behold the James Bailey Center at Wallace State University, Hanceville, AL. The city's population is 3377.

1661292779907.png

^ I deleted the post because I didn't think anyone was interested. Excellent effort and research on your end and I agree that the Bailey Center is close to or exceeds 150'. However, the trivia question was for a commercial building (1923) in a downtown setting. So, a few clues: the city is east of the Mississippi, south of the Mason Dixon line, was nicknamed "Little New York" during is boom period and I added a photo which may yield a few more clues. I actually passed though this town accidentally while on a road trip in the 80's and was stunned with the cluster of 8 to 12 story buildings for such a small city as far as population goes.

Last edited:
^ I deleted the post because I didn't think anyone was interested. Excellent effort and research on your end and I agree that the Bailey Center is close to or exceeds 150'. However, the trivia question was for a commercial building (1923) in a downtown setting. So, a few clues: the city is east of the Mississippi, south of the Mason Dixon line, was nicknamed "Little New York" during is boom period and I added a photo which may yield a few more clues. I actually passed though this town accidentally while on a road trip in the 80's and was stunned with the cluster of 8 to 12 story buildings for such a small city as far as population goes.
View attachment 27701

Cool
Bluefield, WV
The West Virginian

And Thanks for the lost sleep tonight 😂 I couldn’t stop until I found it …

Last edited:
^ Winner and great job! Was going to add a clue that the city has a color in its name but that would have made it much easier, sorry about the lost sleep. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I follow the Skyscraper forum on occasion and actually remember that thread. There are quite a few mid size and small cities in the Appalachia region that are very urban and dense for their size. I would also add SW Pennsylvania into the mix with cities like Uniontown, Johnstown and Washington. Am going to start an urban trivia thread for those who may be interested so as not to sidetrack this one.

Last edited:
My ability to count may be a little more limited as I get older but it appears that the 13th floor is not closed in yet so there should be 5 more floors and a mechanical penthouse to go. :)

Last edited:
My ability to count may be a little more limited as I get older but it appears that the 13th floor is not closed in yet so there should be 5 more floors and a mechanical penthouse to go. :)

Yeah I only count 12 fully formed, and currently forming the 13th. Must have just been a mistake.

I was hoping Redfern would add an extra floor in the cover of darkness, I surely don't want to lose one!

Last edited:
^ The curved corner and sharp cut line at the end of the former Maine National Bank building (1955) on Temple Street is a nice segue to the new tower in my opinion. Thanks for the photos DZH22.

Back