4-6 Newbury Street | Back Bay

Re: New Building Proposed for Newbury Street

If I am correct about it having been an empty lot, I do not remember how it came to be. Maybe someone can enlighten us. All I know is that I recall the city being relieved to fill the lot with something and that the Ritz owned and developed the land in question. Similarly, for decades the Ritz owned the land on which their condo tower was built. That set of lots used were originally filled with town houses. Before I was born, the Ritz bought the land and removed the townhouses, planting the lots with trees and grass until they decided to develop the site for the condo tower. Originally, all of the first blocks of the Back Bay had large town homes facing Arlington St and the Public Garden. These were similar in scale and massing as the few that are left (e.g., the one on the corner of Commonwealth Ave and Arlington St.) These large, French Academic Style buildings offered a consistent public facade to the beginning of the Back Bay development, broken only by the Arlington St. Church. Some were torn down as early as the 1920's, including the site of the Ritz and the art deco buildings down toward Beacon St.

If I am correct about it having been an empty lot

It seems it was an empty lot, starting sometime in the 50s or 60s according to these two pictures.

This first one, taken sometime in 1945 shows what is said to be 2-4 Newbury St with the taller 8 Newbury Street just visible at the top right. I assume 6 Newbury Street is the brownstone showing half of itself to the right-center of the photo:

003169.jpg

This second photo, taken sometime in 1962 it says, focuses more on the aforementioned 8 Newbury Street, with what was 4-6 Newbury Street now missing, said to have become the parking lot for the Ritz. Seems a shame to have lost those great looking buildings.

003177.jpg

(If hot-linking the images aren't cool, let me know, I could host them elsewhere later on when I'm home from work. Also, the Bostonian Societies' online photo collection is great for this kind of stuff.)

The thing that makes this forum are guys like Joe who find stuff like this. Thanks for providing the best entertainment money can't buy!

Many thanks, Joe. It's good to confirm vague memories from 35 years ago! Good job!

there's an article in the current banker and tradesman about this project. could someone post it please? :)

Banker & Tradesman said:
Centremark Proposes Hub Office Plan
By Thomas Grillo
Reporter

4-6NewburySt1.jpg

B&T staff photo by Thomas Grillo
The garage at 4-6 Newbury St. could be razed to make way for more office
space in Boston at a time when the city?s vacancy rate is in the single digits.

It could become even harder to find parking in Boston?s Back Bay.

Centremark Properties has proposed razing the 6-story garage at 4-6 Newbury St. and replacing it with a 49,000-square-foot, 7-story, terra cotta-and-glass structure with indoor parking. If approved, the building would offer retail on the first three floors and offices on the upper levels. The developer needs city approval to exceed zoning height limits of 65 feet.

?Our intention is to upgrade the building and we?ve tried not to make the building?s height overbearing,? said Richard J. Bertman, principal of CBT Architects in Boston.

But many residents at last week?s public hearing on the project disagreed. State Rep. Martha M. Walz acknowledged that no one would miss the nondescript garage if it were demolished, but she noted that the building?s lack of appeal does not justify making its replacement taller.

?I cannot support the excessive height at this location and I hope you are all here because you agree,? she said to applause.

The garage is located on the first block of Newbury Street opposite the TAJ Boston, formerly the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, and is surrounded by upscale shops. The 41,650-square-foot brick building was constructed in 1980 to provide parking for the Carlton House at 2 Commonwealth Avenue and the Ritz. The garage was sold last summer to Newbury Garage Assoc., a Centremark subsidiary, for $15.9 million.

If the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) gives the project a thumbs-up, the mix of uses would include 28,200 square feet of office, 20,800 square feet of retail and 16 parking spaces. Today, the garage is a monolithic structure with tinted windows. The two garage doors opening onto the Newbury Street would be removed if the project were approved.

But few residents expressed support for the plan at the two-hour session at the Boston Public Library. Jacquelin Yessian, chairwoman of the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay (NABB), opposed any change in the height limit for the historic district.

Steven Sayers, a Marlborough Street resident, expressed concern that the project would set a precedent for replacing other buildings with taller ones.

Susan Prindle, a NABB member, said the developer is asking to increase the height by about a third. ?This is totally out of whack,? she said. ?With mechanicals, the height would be almost 100 feet. The proposal is a lot larger than it should be.?

Still, not everyone was opposed to the project. David Gibbons, TAJ?s general manager, spoke in favor. ?We would rather see a new world-class building than a rehab of the ugliest building in the Back Bay,? he said.

?It Makes Sense?

William Motley, managing director at Jones Lang LaSalle, said the office conversion idea for the garage has been talked about for 15 years. While investors believed the location is ideal, the vacancy rate only recently dwindled to the single digits, making the project viable.

?In a market with a 3.6 percent vacant rate, it will probably lease fairly well,? he said. ?There?s only one other office building in the pipeline, and they?re having their own issues. It makes sense to examine alternatives.?

Boston Properties has proposed a $115 million high-rise at 888 Boylston St. But the controversial plan has pitted NABB against the developer. The well-organized group has rallied other neighborhoods to voice their opposition during meetings of the Prudential Project Advisory Committee (PruPAC), a 41-member panel founded to advise City Hall on development at the Pru.

The project, to be built between the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention, has been in the works for years. In 2002, the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) approved the office building at 11 stories. But the 287,000-square-foot high-rise never broke ground. Today, the developer is seeking city approval for a 19-story structure.

Earlier this month, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino told Banker & Tradesman that he would like to see the two sides settle their differences and reach a compromise. But so far Boston Properties has not offered to lower the height and NABB has refused to support a taller building.

Yessian, NABB?s chairwoman, has declined to comment on Menino?s offer for a compromise. But in an op-ed column in The Boston Courant last year, she wrote that while the 11-story building called for in the master plan would be an asset to the Pru, ?we strongly oppose any building that would exceed this height.?

Meg Mainzer-Cohen, president of the Back Bay Association and a strong supporter of the building at 19 stories, said she is disappointed that some members of PruPAC have refused to consider a compromise.

?The point of PruPAC is to work together to reach consensus,? she said.

In a recent letter to the BRA, Mainzer-Cohen wrote, ?The building proposed at 888 Boylston St. at 19 stories is a better building for the neighborhood and will create another signature building in Back Bay. The building?s architecture will add a modern glass facade to the streetscape and add first-class office space to Back Bay, which is in demand.?
NLA

sloganering

"world class" building, at least they didn't use the other overworked phrase, 'for the children'.

Banker & Tradesman - March 10
BRA Head Shows Openness To Newbury Street Proposal

Palmieri Says Plan for Office Facility Would Be ?Consistent? With Adjoining Back Bay Building

By Thomas Grillo
Reporter

4-6NewburyStBostonrendering.jpg

rendering courtesy CBT Architects
A $20 million, 7-story office building has been proposed for 4-6 Newbury St. in Boston.

Developers of a controversial plan to replace a Newbury Street garage with a $20 million office building may have an ally in the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

?Some neighbors don?t want the new building to exceed the present garage height, but it might be fair for our staff and the neighborhood to consider some movement upward to be consistent with the adjacent building,? said John F. Palmieri, BRA director.

Newbury Garage Assoc. has proposed demolishing the 6-story garage on the first block of Newbury Street in the Back Bay and replacing it with a 7-story, terra cotta-and-glass structure. If approved, the 49,000-square-foot building would offer retail on the first three floors and offices on the upper levels. The joint venture of Centremark Properties and Bristol Property Management needs city approval to exceed zoning height limits of 65 feet.

But many residents and some public officials have lobbied to keep the height to within zoning. Opponents fear that approval for a taller building at 84 feet will set an example for other properties in the historic neighborhood.

In a letter to the BRA, the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay (NABB) said the proposed building exceeds zoning by nearly 30 percent.

?While we are not opposed to the demolition of the garage and appreciate the potential removal of curb cuts on Newbury Street, we are concerned that the precedent set by this proposal would overturn zoning that protects Newbury Street,? said the letter from Jacquelin Yessian, NABB?s chairwoman, and Manya Chylinski, the group?s president.

NABB officials declined to comment on Palmieri?s remarks. But privately some of the group?s members fear the BRA would allow the increased height.

Susan Prindle, chairwoman of the NABB?s Architecture Committee, who also wrote to the BRA in opposition to the project, declined comment on Palmieri?s statement. But at a public hearing last month she said, ?This is totally out of whack. With mechanicals, the height would be almost 100 feet.?

Peter J. Bassett, one of the project?s principals, disputes suggestions that the building would be much taller than the garage. He insists that the added 19 feet would have ?minimal? impacts to the neighborhood. He noted that while the parking garage is 6 stories, the seventh floor roof also is used to park cars.

Still, Bassett said he understands why some neighbors would be concerned about setting a precedent for slightly taller buildings. But he added that the tradeoff is worth it.

?We are replacing seven revenue-producing stories with seven revenue-producing stories,? he told Banker & Tradesman. ?So maybe that?s not such a bad precedent for an allowed use on the street. If you took a poll, the garage would be voted one of the city?s top-five ugliest buildings. It?s a dark hole, an unattractive building and it?s certainly not lending anything to the vibrancy and activity of the premier first block of Newbury Street.?

?A Dream Come True?
In a letter to the BRA, state Rep. Martha M. Walz, a Democrat whose district includes the Back Bay, acknowledged that no one would miss the nondescript garage if it were razed. But she noted that the building?s lack of appeal does not justify making its replacement taller.

?Ridding ourselves of an unattractive buildings is no justification for the zoning code variances that would be required for the proposed building,? she wrote.

Of the 115 letters to the BRA about the project, 41 are opposed, four are neutral and 70 are in favor. But at least 39 of the communications from proponents were form letters.

The garage is located at 4-6 Newbury St. opposite the TAJ Boston, formerly the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, and is surrounded by upscale shops. The brick building was constructed in 1980 to provide parking for the Carlton House at 2 Commonwealth Avenue and the Ritz. Newbury Garage Assoc. paid $15.9 million for the facility last summer.

?This is a dream come true for a Boston developer,? said Bassett.

If approved by the BRA, the mix of uses would include 28,200 square feet of office, 20,800 square feet of retail and 16 indoor parking spaces. Nader Golestaneh, the project?s other principal, said they expect retail rents for the property to be over $100 per square foot while the offices could fetch as much as $50 per square foot.
NLA

Anyone who is freaked out about the height of that needs brain treatment. You could center a level between it and its neighbor.

The CBT drawing appears to show a 6-story building, not 7. The old building to its right looks taller than the new building.

It's seven if you count the setback penthouse.

These people have their heads up their asses. Look at that rendering! a change of 20ft will still be perfectly contextual. I fault the zoning more then the residents. We need a new zoning vocabulary that is flexible and allows for slight height allowances if appropriate. You can debate what is appropriate but come on, this is appropriate.

B&T said:
In a letter to the BRA, state Rep. Martha M. Walz, a Democrat whose district includes the Back Bay, acknowledged that no one would miss the nondescript garage if it were razed. But she noted that the building?s lack of appeal does not justify making its replacement taller.

?Ridding ourselves of an unattractive buildings is no justification for the zoning code variances that would be required for the proposed building,? she wrote.

What is this women's deal? I wonder how she reconciles her opposition to this with her gushing support of razing half a block--literally, around the corner from this proposal--and building a blatantly out-of-scale mid-rise in its place.

B&T said:
Of the 115 letters to the BRA about the project, 41 are opposed, four are neutral and 70 are in favor. But at least 39 of the communications from proponents were form letters.

I'm amazed that such a little project, especially one so obviously benign, is getting so much negative attention from the "neighborhood". These people really need to get their priorities straight.

It would be interesting to learn how many negative letters the BRA received concerning the proposed Druker project.

I agree, Briv. Given that it seems like half of us wrote the BRA -- and a few of my friends not involved on this forum wrote in a short note of protest as well -- I would think there's a good amount of opposition to that stinker of a project. ... I wonder if Jay Rourke and the BRA plan to release numbers on how many people wrote in on SCL.

I really, really don't understand what's with the people who oppose the Newbury St. project, or the stuff in the Prudential Center. I don't know how a slight height uptick would open the sluice gates for "soaring towers" on Newbury St., and the Prudential is what it is. A well-designed contemporary building could be great in either location -- residents' concerns should be with the quality of design and building material; that'd affect their home values more than the height involved.

Meanwhile, they're happy to destroy one of the few remaining scraps of history on the Public Garden for crying out loud. Hypocrisy, thy name is Boston.

I agree about this Newbury Street site. But to be fair, 11 stories changing to 19 at the Pru is not a "slight uptick". It's almost a doubling.

That's a good point, Ron. I did mean to restrict the "slight uptick" point to the Newbury St. project. As for the Pru, I would say it's an area designated for tall buildings and other than people's million-dollar views getting blocked I don't see any reason not to allow height there (I know they're trying to add 8 stories after getting approval for 11 and that there should be due process; that said, I don't see why that due process would reject the new floors...).

Once an agreement like that has been reached, the only legitimate reason I can see to modify it is if there's some construction problem that prevents the 11 story building and requires adding 8 more floors. I can't imagine what that could be.

As regards dear Marty, this is par for the course. She's a shill for a handful of wealthy residents in Beacon Hill and Back Bay, and to the extent that they oppose good urbanism, she does too. Her opposition to a few extra feet of setback here is completely consistent with her ridiculously inflexible position on the Suffolk/Somerset fight, her tizzy over a few cherry trees on the Esplanade (a gift that threatened to block some views), her opposition to Columbus Center (the entire project, not just the funding). My personal favorite was the fit she threw over a proposed tunnel routing for Silver Line Phase 3 that threatened some of her constituency - she wrote a whole editorial about the groundwater concerns. However, as soon as the T narrowed its focus to a routing further away, near Bay Village and Chinatown, she came out in support ... never mind that this new location is even more sensitive from a groundwater perspective.

In sum, Marty likes public transportation, as long as it doesn't impact her wealthy supporters; she she claims to advocate "responsible development," which means development that is responsible enough to be a ways away, preferably in someone else's district; and her sense of whether or not a development proposal is appropriate in context will be governed by the lowest-common-denominator aesthetic sense of blue-haired constituents who generally prefer trees (as long as they don't block views) to any development and who insist all development be four-story and brick, whether it's actually in the historic district or not, and irrespective of what it's replacing.

If the Shreve situation is an exception, it's not difficult to fathom why.

Sadly, this is good politics. Turnout in elections is very poor, and donations from the connected few are very important.

Here's an article from the BB Sun regarding the last meeting on this proposal:

Backbay Sun said:
Friday, February 29th 2008
A chilly reception: Residents come out In force to oppose 4-6 Newbury proposal by Dan Salerno

A controversial plan by a developer to turn the garage at 4-6 Newbury Street into a mixed use retail/office facility met with staunch and vocal resistance from elected officials and community members at a public meeting last week, casting doubt on the future of the project in its current form.
The main objection to the project, the brainchild of Centremark Properties, is its proposed height, which would exceed the height of the current building and the height currently allowed by zoning regulations.
State Representative Marty Walz spoke out first against the proposal, saying there was no way the developers could justify the added height. ?I hope you all are hear to voice your opposition to this project,? said Walz to enthusiastic applause. Her objections were echoed by the office of city councilor Mike Ross.
The current garage already exceeds the 65 ft. allowed by zoning; in order to extend the height even further, Centremark will need to obtain a variance from the city zoning board of appeals.
Dennis Quilty, an attorney representing Centremark, said that the heigh was consistent with the block and would provide a natural sense of slope.
?We feel this is an appropriate place for additional height,? said Quilty.
The building as proposed be seven stories, with the first two or three floors devoted to ?high end retail,? according to a representative from Centremark.
Centremark also claimed there would be no significant shadow impact on the nearby Public Garden, and that the building itself would ?read? as shorter from the street, since the top floor penthouse would be set back. The building would have 16 parking spaces underground.
Excited by the proposal was David Gibbons, a general manager with the Taj Hotel, which sits across the street from the garage.
?We would rather see a world class building there than?the ugliest building on Newbury Street,? said Gibbons.
However, the vast majority of those in attendance were bitterly opposed to the height increase. Tom High, who sits on both the NABB architecture and licensing and building use committees, said the increase would be another step in the Back Bay?s ?death by a thousand cuts.?
?You?re going to end up with Newbury Street being a canyon,? said High.
Jackie Yessian of the NABB expressed trepidation that the building would set a bad precedent for future projects, and pointed out that the building went against the principles and guidelines for Back Bay development.
The project is currently in a public comment period. John Fitzgerald, who is managing the project for the Boston Redevelopment Authority, stressed that the city would take very seriously the opinions and comments of residents as they reviewed the project.
The opinion of Beacon Street resident Steven Feinberg, meanwhile, was all too clear, when he claimed that increasing building heights threatened to ?destroy our neighborhood.?

Unbelievable.

its funny how, the two most recent articles shed completely opposing lights on this project. so who's the biased source, banker and tradesman or BBS? with that said, why doesn't the 'neighborhood' embrace this project? in return for an almost insignificant height increase, the developers are willing to replace the existing veritable butt crack of a building. seems like a no brainer to me!

Back