441 Morgan Ave | Lot U | Cambridge Crossing | Cambridge

I wonder if these buildings are supposed to completely integrate with the bridge - i.e. get rid of the railings on this side and make it like a real street wall..
Similar to Summer Street and N and P parcels..

Lot U in Cambridge Crossing is set to be redeveloped as an office/lab space, following the guidelines under the North Point development special permit.

Highlights
  • 313,270 sq. ft
  • 150' (mechanicals) / 120'
  • 282 parking spaces (requiring 3 story underground parking area, replacing 132 parking spaces currently on lot U, at maximum allowed limit under North Point special permit)
  • Includes elevator access and widening of Gilmore St. Bridge
  • Ground-floor retail
Renders / Screengrabs from Design Review

View attachment 7188
View attachment 7189
View attachment 7190
View attachment 7192
View attachment 7191
View attachment 7194
View attachment 7193

Links

Design Review Pt. 1
Design Review Pt. 2
BLDUP link

Doesnt look like this one integrates with the bridge at all unlike the building next door.

The illustrations in the first post have the notation that a connection to the Gilmore Bridge is pending MassDOT approval.

As a Charlestown resident all these new connections to the Gilmore are really welcomed. I have to believe East Cambridge will also appreciate easier access to the Orange Line and a supermarket.
I agree its nice to connect to Gilmore... that is until everyone's ubers stop here and let them out. There should be a feature in ubers where the doors wont unlock until the car is in a official drop off zone. Tie it to the GPS.

Kind of like in dorchester at the jfk entrance on columbia. It drives me FUCKING CRAZY how ppl just stop in the right travel lane and drop people off there every day… completely blocking 1 of the 2 traffic lanes right before you have to deal with the rotary from hell. Great lets make this even more of a shitshow than it already is… We need to brick back public humiliation like tarring and feathering ppl and publicly shame anyone who does this. You dont get to screw everyone over just so u can save 41 seconds by not having to go to the drop off area.

Kind of like in dorchester at the jfk entrance on columbia. It drives me FUCKING CRAZY how ppl just stop in the right travel lane and drop people off there every day… completely blocking 1 of the 2 traffic lanes right before you have to deal with the rotary from hell. Great lets make this even more of a shitshow than it already is… We need to brick back public humiliation like tarring and feathering ppl and publicly shame anyone who does this. You dont get to screw everyone over just so u can save 41 seconds by not having to go to the drop off area.
Social media serves as the public shaming/ tar and feathering of modern times. Post videos of idiots being idiots and some will learn from their shame, but most won't.

There is nothing redeemable in Cambridge Crossing. It's a total loss.
King vibe, what were you hoping for here? I'm not judging your remark, just I'm curious because I've followed this development ever since it was a rail yard and industrial zone, through multiple recessions. My hopes were not high given the plethora of "box" buildings creating a campus of sorts. I can't say I'm totally disappointed. I'm really interested in knowing what your take on this development and its architecture ought to be.

The labs have to go somewhere, putting them way off to the side of downtown Cambridge across mcgrath highway and next to a real highway and train yard isnt a bad option. The city gains tons of lab space, doesnt lose any old buildings, and old industrial land is put to use payibg taxes. It definitely could be a lot better, but it serves its purpose and nothing had to be flattened to add a shit ton of lab space.

Plus... its a massive construction site right now. People were calling the seaport trash while it was majority under construction as well.

Things like this give me hope
Parcel-I-4.jpg

CX-Cambridge-Crossing-DivcoWest-PCA-12-1800x983.jpg

Lets at least see how some of these come out before its declared trash. This is following the normal archboston circle of life: renders "nice", construction starts "excited", half of everything is partially complete "this sux", finished "its not so bad".

Anyways heres a link to the project site with a 3d tour of the completed neighborhood.
https://tangram3ds.com/vr/1999DCW/05/tour.html

King vibe, what were you hoping for here? I'm not judging your remark, just I'm curious because I've followed this development ever since it was a rail yard and industrial zone, through multiple recessions. My hopes were not high given the plethora of "box" buildings creating a campus of sorts. I can't say I'm totally disappointed. I'm really interested in knowing what your take on this development and its architecture ought to be.

Mike (and Stick n move), you both have a lot more patience than me. I don't give any credence to declarative posts that don't give reasons to back up the declaration. Those are just farts in the wind. (Following my own rule - - Reason to back up my statement: Both farts in the wind and declarative only posts both dissipate in benefit and importance with seconds). :)

...Both farts in the wind and declarative only posts both dissipate in benefit and importance with seconds). :)

They're also similar in that they both are lazy and are indicative of minimal self-restraint ;)

That said, long-winded and well-substantiated posts often drop like dense turds in the punch bowl: spoiling an otherwise jovial free-flowing exchange, prompting people to withdraw from the conversation altogether.

Ah, how we all long for a regularity of pithy yet thoughtful posts.

The labs have to go somewhere, putting them way off to the side of downtown Cambridge across mcgrath highway and next to a real highway and train yard isnt a bad option. The city gains tons of lab space, doesnt lose any old buildings, and old industrial land is put to use payibg taxes. It definitely could be a lot better, but it serves its purpose and nothing had to be flattened to add a shit ton of lab space.

Plus... its a massive construction site right now. People were calling the seaport trash while it was majority under construction as well.

Things like this give me hope
Parcel-I-4.jpg

CX-Cambridge-Crossing-DivcoWest-PCA-12-1800x983.jpg

Lets at least see how some of these come out before its declared trash. This is following the normal archboston circle of life: renders "nice", construction starts "excited", half of everything is partially complete "this sux", finished "its not so bad".

Anyways heres a link to the project site with a 3d tour of the completed neighborhood.
https://tangram3ds.com/vr/1999DCW/05/tour.html

Agree. Also the park there is pretty nice and well-landscaped. Nice little oasis in the middle of an otherwise very loud area. But should be somewhat quieter once the construction wraps up.

I both love and hate this building simultaneously. I can't really explain why.

Also, doesn't the first render prove the last one to be BS? One of the Museum Place towers would be in the way.

I both love and hate this building simultaneously. I can't really explain why.

Also, doesn't the first render prove the last one to be BS? One of the Museum Place towers would be in the way.

Same. This north view reminds me of a glassy but unfinished Met Life North Building (11 Madison) in NYC; this massive base that looks like it had a 700' tower cut from it, sitting incomplete for eternity. The lot isn't that big in reality, but something about the renders makes the scale feel strange.

Back