45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

Building codes prohibit windows in staircases? I'm sure I've seen some fairly new buildings with them.

^ The code gets changed yearly. I'm not currently at my office. When I get in on Monday, I'll post the relevant passages.

^^Would that be a state or national code (or is there even a difference?)

The new BU dorm tower has windows in the staircase. Its set to open this summer.

^^Would that be a state or national code (or is there even a difference?)
Yes and no. There's a national code, grandly misnamed the "International Building Code", that's used in the United States and the Bahamas.

Each state issues its own amendments to this code. Sometimes the length of the amendments exceeds the length of the code.

I think they should have put glass elevator shafts facing out towards the Common. That would have made the building look much more attractive IMO. It also could have been known as the best elevator shaft in Boston! Majestic views as you ascend to your luxurious residence! A shiny glass wall is much cooler than the black death we have now.

I like how you think.

Maybe the thought is that because they built right to the neighbors property line on that side of the building, there is a possibility that at a future time, the adjacent property owner could build his own 30 story tower and block all views. On the downtown side of 45 Province, there at least is Province St. and across the way a number of different buildings/owners.

That possibility was raised a few pages back, but the chances of views on the Common side of the building being blocked are very, very slim. Many of the buildings that could block it are either too new or too historic to be redeveloped for decades, if ever.

Assuming you have to locate the blank wall on either the Tremont St. side or the Province St. side, residents are going to enter the building via the front door on Province St. I'm guessing the developers figured a blank wall on the front facade would be more off putting to potential buyers than sticking the wall in the alley. How many potential condo owners are going to care about how the blank wall looks from parts of the Boston Common? That being said, the blank wall is still ugly and could have been designed much better.

Maybe the fact that 101 Tremont, and it's associated properties running right back to Province St., are on the market at the moment and the potential best use scenario would be to demolish the block and re-build something similar to what is being proposed for One Bromfield St. This would directly impact the views from 45 Province to the Common, etc. (Excuse the grammar, it's late!)

Where was the BRA is this? A black wall? Given this choice, I prefer what was there before.

You prefer a ugly parking lot over a condo tower? You guys amaze me. I'm going to agree with Van and say you guys really look at the negative and never the positive.

You prefer a ugly parking lot over a condo tower? You guys amaze me. I'm going to agree with Van and say you guys really look at the negative and never the positive.
You guys? There's more than one of him?

You're just NOW realizing there's no shortage of Debbie Downers around here?

I think the consensus is people would have preferred windows on the wall, or at least a wall that faced in the other direction.

I think that's a pretty reasonable criticism, not some nihilist whine.

No, its fair to criticize that. Its just the whole 'I look smarter if I criticize everything when honestly I'm not sure what the hell I'm talking about' thing on here thats ridiculous.

Are we still criticizing the wall, or criticizing the critics of the black wall?

I'm fine with it. Unfortunate result, but an otherwise excellent building. Let's look to the future, and hope that an equally handsome building is built right next to it.

No, its fair to criticize that. Its just the whole 'I look smarter if I criticize everything when honestly I'm not sure what the hell I'm talking about' thing on here thats ridiculous.

Agreed. It's fair to criticize it. However, when you criticize the tower by saying that just because of the black wall, the tower is worse than what was there before, then that just reached a new low. The comment is practically retarded.

Given the torturous process to build in this town one would hope for a better result.
If that's disappointing to hear, so be it.

Are we still criticizing the wall, or criticizing the critics of the black wall?
The wall's easy to disagree with; it's inanimate and has no feelings, so putting it down need cause no one any pain.

By contrast, we kneejerk contrarians should note that forumers are animate and have feelings, so disagreeing with forumers requires diplomacy --or else it becomes disagreeable.

And few people are so consistently wrong that their every utterance requires correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back