45 Townsend Street | Roxbury

I think it was originally a Jewish organization’s hospital that got converted into a rehab.

Edit - yeah, check this out http://digifindingaids.cjh.org/?pID=109176

I remember being curious about this several years ago. The article doesn’t mention the circumstances under which it ended up dwindling down, but think it was some other rehab before it totally closed.

Last edited:
maybe you can include 322 units/ 380,000 sq ft in the op.

There was a two-post thread on this two years ago. I decided to start over.

DPIR:

http://www.bostonplans.org/document...5-townsend-street-draft-project-impact-report

3CX6WHfh.png

imvt3Kzh.png

O3OJniHh.png

s0t4r0Wh.png

KcZugMrh.png

bEVedXXh.png

pFPWiWjh.png

M5Uf5PFh.png

VNM7LMqh.png

x3cH7Enh.png

780lrKnh.png

He1TxnFh.png

0vNSsPAh.png

dCGTE3lh.png

O4wVnWeh.png

5RG0C0Wh.png

EJDcVXoh.png

oWIu02nh.png

Come on, van. Not you?! I mean, yes, it's more density than the immediately surrounding blocks. I'll take it. But cons? Many. We all know what it's gonna look like (banal plastic panels etc, ie, the usual) and it's an enormous block that could accommodate much more density than this, and would ideally actually put a few roads through the area to prevent it from being yet another huge, isolated swath of land in Roxbury. The cynic in me says this is the best we could hope for, but there's nothing exciting about this.

Looks like a pedestrian connection to Codman Park is needed here. Makes a far shorter walk to Jackson Sq.

I find it really...interesting that under traffic improvements, they put 'increased parking ratio'. Not surprised, just ugh. I am glad that theres some affordable ownership units being created offsite.

Come on, van. Not you?! I mean, yes, it's more density than the immediately surrounding blocks. I'll take it. But cons? Many. We all know what it's gonna look like (banal plastic panels etc, ie, the usual) and it's an enormous block that could accommodate much more density than this, and would ideally actually put a few roads through the area to prevent it from being yet another huge, isolated swath of land in Roxbury. The cynic in me says this is the best we could hope for, but there's nothing exciting about this.

i saw your "come one Van," and stopped to study the renders.

Came back and read your post. You put into words almost exactly what i thought (well done). i wondered why some people like it. It's decent density. i oddly considered security vs police access in the Courtyard Area. Really don't know what to think. The layout is confusing (to me).

One of the reasons I loath reading this forum anymore is the feelings which come through are that any new building should be the most beautiful 1000' skyscraper in the world or its shit. Frankly a project like this is exactly what the city needs. I have always been a proponent of boring background buildings. We bemoan how expensive the city has gotten but forget that new construction is by definition more expensive so keeping new buildings affordable requires keeping the designs simple. Is this the most beautiful building? Far from it. But I've seen far worse on here.

What I'm more impressed with is how they were able to take a tough plot and create an elegant use of space and footprint. This is a very dense development for the neighborhood so to fit it in so seamlessly is impressive.

i saw your "come one Van," and stopped

That's basically how I am with your posts too.

i think you're reading too much into my post.

My first thought was it could be Stoughton.

Being down 30~40% for the # of units it could be, makes it kind of 'meh.' It has absolutely nothing to do with still being pissed over the loss of Copley Tower, the abysmal process to rid ourselves of the Harbor Garage, or future wars in the West End.

One of the reasons I loath reading this forum anymore is the feelings which come through are that any new building should be the most beautiful 1000' skyscraper in the world or its shit. Frankly a project like this is exactly what the city needs. I have always been a proponent of boring background buildings. We bemoan how expensive the city has gotten but forget that new construction is by definition more expensive so keeping new buildings affordable requires keeping the designs simple. Is this the most beautiful building? Far from it. But I've seen far worse on here.

What I'm more impressed with is how they were able to take a tough plot and create an elegant use of space and footprint. This is a very dense development for the neighborhood so to fit it in so seamlessly is impressive.

That's basically how I am with your posts too.

I don’t want it to be perfect, and I would settle for banality. I just think they could accommodate more units. Not out of any height masturbation, just because we need the housing and parcels this big are hard to come by.

One of the most impressive massings I've seen. Many varied forms on a very hilly plot and a quality park that connects to surroundings. I'm sure the materials won't be stunning but I'm sold based on the massing alone. And it's not like there's any obvious roads that can be put in this hilly plot to connect surrounding roads.

i'm applying for a 1st degree mulligan.

i had no idea it was challenged terrain.

i'm changing my post to "i love good infill and i'm elated."

Back