45 Worthington Street | 6 (née 35) stories, 141 (née 385) units | Mission Hill

This is basically the same issue and argument I put to people in my city who keep demanding (and having them installed) traffic lights everywhere in town.
They added 3 of them on a semi-main street which used to just have lights on either end of it. The neighbors complained it was difficult to cross the main street or take turns onto it. What they don't seem to realize, this "inconvenience" is what keeps their streets quieter and safer.

As the resident you should learn to plan ahead. If it's tough to take a left onto the main street, then add a minute to your travel time and take 3 rights instead of two lefts depending on which way you are headed that day.

Adding lights now makes your quiet side street a cut thru for non-residents. Adding more traffic and more potential danger to your street.

Even worse, I see them adding lights and intersection after an existing 4-way stop sign. That 4-way was already questionable and ignored by too many. Now, that they are trying to make a changing light a 100 yards away, I see people blow thru this intersection as if it's not even there.

The cut off streets in Boston bother me less from a driving standpoint, but bother me incredibly when they get completely blocked for a pedestrian who then has to walk several hundred feet to get to the other side. Particularly bothersome when there previously existed a thru-way.

From this:
B834A5E1-682F-4D09-B2C3-D1D80BCE10A7.png

To this:
EB73F2B4-4D73-4783-8C70-F1D71D55BE26.jpeg

I mean, the city does need a lot more townhouse-style development.

This might just not be exactly the right place for it. An apartment or condo highrise would’ve made sense here.

Edit: guess looking closer that it’s actually just apartments after all and not really townhouses?

Last edited:
Man...I understand some of the initial concerns with the project, but the area is sort of perfect for increased density. Walking distance to two major transit stops, major, major student population, and rents getting crushingly high. Something's going to have to change, and a higher spine extending along Huntington is probably going to eventually happen one way or another, lest the neighborhood insist on being trapped in amber forever.

Man...I understand some of the initial concerns with the project, but the area is sort of perfect for increased density. Walking distance to two major transit stops, major, major student population, and rents getting crushingly high. Something's going to have to change, and a higher spine extending along Huntington is probably going to eventually happen one way or another, lest the neighborhood insist on being trapped in amber forever.

The tower is gone, it’s now the 4 story building at street level, with a landscraper behind it.

Nobody actually believed that was going to get built

Well whatever, but I do believe that the developer aimed high, they never sincerely believed it would be built as proposed

Back