465 Congress Street | Portland

This would be an opportunity to convert the entire building to housing and the reconsider back lot which included the drive up window.
I say we reconsider this proposal:
FIDELITY XA.jpg

If the new draft dimensional standards get adopted this would be zoned for 250, could even get more floors out of it.

I'm not such a fan of that, because it blocks the view of the roofline (one of the few interesting rooflines in the city) from the skyline.

Found out today the M&T signage on the roof will remain until mid 2025 even though the bank is putting all of it's efforts into the Fore Street location. The drive thru and ATM will be removed from the building early next year. The Fore Street branch will be expanded on the inside and is expected to almost double the current square footage. M&T spent a fortune on transforming the rooftop sign and the new owners will not compensate them for any of the costs so it will stay as is and it will surely be removed forever on both sides once the current lease expires.

That is true and we'll have to wait and see if the new ownership group decides to utilize that parcel for new construction or turn it into surface parking for the future residents.

Did the company move out of the old Portland market also? if they did, that would be an opportunity for the Block

That is true and we'll have to wait and see if the new ownership group decides to utilize that parcel for new construction or turn it into surface parking for the future residents.
I'd have to check, but it might be awfully difficult – if not outright impossible – to try and get planning approval for a new surface parking lot in the B3 zone one block away from Congress Street. Drive-thrus are also prohibited – this one is grandfathered, but hard to see how it would be worth the expense of maintaining it, so once it's gone it's gone for good (in every sense of the phrase)

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.16.47 AM.png

Curious to the level of ransacking this clown accomplished and was it contained to the now vacant M&T Bank lobby? Hopefully the abandoned Time & Temperature Building won't be next.

Is Monument Square due for an update? Every time I drive by at night I can't help but notice the flood lights. There's got to be a better way to light it that doesn't make it feel like a waste land, right?

I agree nomc, the entire plaza needs to be rebuilt due to 50 years of wear and neglect. The city has been repairing the broken granite and missing bricks with asphalt over the years and it looks tacky for an area that is one of the historic focal points of the entire state.

Business owners and delivery trucks have a 30 minute limit but basically anyone can park in the square for free due to the lack of signage which is a little secret that is not known to the general public. It is not consistently enforced by parking control and normally takes an actual complaint for ticketing which can't be written until 40 minutes after the tires have been chalked which in most cases the culprit has already left the square.

I agree nomc, the entire plaza needs to be rebuilt due to 50 years of wear and neglect. The city has been repairing the broken granite and missing bricks with asphalt over the years and it looks tacky for an area that is one of the historic focal points of the entire state.
This is an issue in Maine overall. I know that we have bad weather and the money can be tight.....but the maintenance of buildings, public areas and landscape is pretty shoddy. Some plow trucks are operated by idiots and tear up everything. And those in charge of overall upkeep don't seem to give a crap or don't have a budget to fix the damage.

Are the majority of the sidewalks in cities brick? NO. Come to Portland where the sidewalk plows ripe it up, we have to make the sidewalks historical, well as you can see from the Pics, it doesnt work. Then you add cobblestones and granite to the mix.

Back