5-Story Hotel & Park Proposal | Lewis Wharf | North End

I'd love to see an open connection though the connector, similar to Rowes Wharf.

I realize it's replacing a parking lot, but come on, 380 parking spaces for a 300 bed hotel.
I hope the BHA pushes back on this and encourages guests to take taxi's, Uber, Zipcar, the T - anything but drive more cars into the North End.

It's a luxury hotel, they aren't going to be using the T.

I think most of the garage spaces are not for the hotel, but to replace the existing surface lots at Lewis Wharf, and on both sides of Commercial St between Lewis Wharf and Union Wharf. Does DeNormandie own the large lot on the harbor side of Commercial St. north of Lewis wharf? As sure as the sun rises in the east, that lot will be developed. Moriarty is not excavating out yards and yards of Boston blue clay simply for parking at Lewis wharf residents and hotel guests. (The yachties also need parking.)

The low-rise connector between the two hotel wings doesn't bother me. If the connection is elevated, that obstructs the view of the end condo units at Lewis Wharf; perhaps they have a view easement. Regardless, those end condo units will litigate like hell if their view is taken away.

Finally, let's not overlook that the end of Lewis wharf will be armored against storm surge, so there would be no plaza if there was no connector, but a berm.

Either way I dont think many if any of us were going to be directly involved with this project. I know I'm not affording a waterfront dwelling in the north end, I haven't made any deals with the devil.

It looks like they have a boardwalk on the water side and maybe they'll put in a fancy restaurant, those are two wins in my book

We need more hotels just as much as we need more housing... Even the Holiday Inn Express in Sullivan averages over $225 a night.

Agreed. Boston is one of 4 most expensive cities for hotel rooms in the U.S. (NYC, SF, and Honolulu are the other 3). About as basic supply/demand example as you'll find.

The new Courtyard by Marriott, stuck between Somerville and Northpoint (and across from the horrid Twin Cities strip mall) is often packed with Mercedes and other high end (presumably) rental cars during the week.

Starting to think north end nimbys are the worst in all of Boston.

New website & renders:
http://www.lewiswharfboston.com/

aerial+looking+easta+homepage+1-rendering+1+%281%29.jpg

aerial+looking+easta+homepage+2-rendering+2+%282%29.jpg

aerial+looking+easta+homepage+3-rendering+3+%284%29.jpg

aerial+looking+easta+homepage+4-rendering4+%285%29.jpg

aerial+looking+easta+-rendering+5+%288%29.jpg

aerial+looking+easta+-rendering+6.jpg

aerial+looking+easta+homepage+1-rendering++7.jpg

150921-Website+Sequence+new+mock+ups+9.22.15+jpegs_Page_1.jpg

Very tastefully done and will activate the area in a major way. Plus its currently a rotting dock, this is such a win for the area. The fact that this is so controversial to the neighborhood groups is mind boggling to me.

We need more hotels just as much as we need more housing... Even the Holiday Inn Express in Sullivan averages over $225 a night.

I know somebody that works at Logan. Supposedly every single hotel room in Boston has been booked the past year. When they have cancellations, the passengers are screwed. I think we could go for a few more hotel rooms, not only because the city is out of rooms, but also because of the price.

Very tastefully done and will activate the area in a major way. Plus its currently a rotting dock, this is such a win for the area. The fact that this is so controversial to the neighborhood groups is mind boggling to me.

It's such an obvious net positive, but the neighbors talk about it like it's a nuclear waste facility. Now we've got Michaelwitz, LaMattina, and Petrucelli signing a letting against it too. Great leadership, guys...

We can't have anything nice:
Passionate Commenters Speak at Lewis Wharf Public Forum [Video]

by Matt Conti on Thu, Oct. 8, 2015 in Photos & Videos, Real Estate / Development

Unfortunately, many commenters were heckled and several shouting matches broke out before and during the public session. Police were called and on site during the forum. At times, the discussion became divisive and hostile. Among the barbs thrown were harsh, sterotypical references to types of people living in various parts of the neighborhood (waterfront vs. interior North End, newcomer vs. oldtimer, rich vs. poor, etc.).

http://northendwaterfront.com/2015/10/emotional-public-forum-held-on-lewis-wharf-video/

According to a friend who tried to get involved in his neighborhood there is a really toxic civic culture in the North End. He credits it to all the people who are bitter that their friends are all dying or moving away, and that bitterness gets turned on the newcomers. It's a neighborhood of 10,000 people represented by two recognized civic groups. I think the North End/Waterfront Residents' Association is more reasonable than the North End/Waterfront Neighborhood Council, or maybe it's the People's Front of the North End/Waterfront that's the reasonable one.

Were some of the hecklers union workers? Just curious. And, how many opponents live on that *wharf? I assume many.

Back