50 Liberty @ Fan Pier | 50 Liberty Drive | Seaport

Whats that wood building you can see in the distance at the end of pier 4? I thought there was going to be a mini park there. Is that another little ice cream shop or restaurant?

That's the sales office. It is a temporary structure that will be replaced by said park/harborwalk.

From 7/8

IMG_5151 by David Z, on Flickr

David Z[/url], on Flickr

Taken from the top of the new overlook I bet! That whole corner of the Harborwalk must be completed about now! How's it looking over there in person, from the pics, it looks amazing!

Last edited:
Taken from the top of the new overlook I bet! That whole corner of the Harborwalk must be completed about now! How's it looking over there in person, from the pics, it looks amazing!

It's a nice little spot, but I was surprised that the stairs can only hold 49 people. There is definitely room for a lot more, and at some point it will probably be crowded enough where it wouldn't surprise me if too many people got on it and broke the thing.

It's a nice little spot, but I was surprised that the stairs can only hold 49 people. There is definitely room for a lot more, and at some point it will probably be crowded enough where it wouldn't surprise me if too many people got on it and broke the thing.

The capacity limit is for the better, I think. It maintains a nice flow without being crowded. I hope it stays that way.

Just a couple of shots from the stairs on a fairly recent evening when it actually happened to be empty!

Photo_Jun_25_8_55_12_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_25_8_52_48_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_25_9_09_28_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_25_8_49_12_PM.jpg

Its not about strength ... its about safety. Welcome to our litigious world.

Jl326, stunning pics of a beautiful spot on the harbor. Really like the lighting, both the landscape lighting and the lighting on the stairs/seating. This spot is a winner!

What I mean about the capacity is that they built it too big, where it could end up having over 49 people without people actually counting and waiting. There isn't like a bouncer or anything to make sure it doesn't exceed 49 people, and the stairs are actually pretty spacious. In that respect, I think they made it too flimsy and that there is a risk of too many people going on it at once and causing it to collapse.

What I mean about the capacity is that they built it too big, where it could end up having over 49 people without people actually counting and waiting. There isn't like a bouncer or anything to make sure it doesn't exceed 49 people, and the stairs are actually pretty spacious. In that respect, I think they made it too flimsy and that there is a risk of too many people going on it at once and causing it to collapse.

I actually completely, but disrespectfully disagree.
1. I don’t think it’s too big at all. in fact, I happen to think the much smaller staircase in DTX is laughably tiny and insignificant looking in comparison. Theres a good presence here and there’s enough space here to spread out a bit even with people walking up and down the stairs. The staircase here also houses a cafe and a small Marina office under it, so the space is being utilized.
2. To be clear, the staircase can certainly easily handle over 49 people, stated capacity limits notwithstanding.
3. Maybe you see something I don’t realize, but very curious to hear what it is about the structure that makes you believe it is flimsy. The base beneath the wooden planks is poured concrete. Actually, the whole structure itself is concrete

Jl326, stunning pics of a beautiful spot on the harbor. Really like the lighting, both the landscape lighting and the lighting on the stairs/seating. This spot is a winner!

Thanks. The photos don’t really do it justice. The true lighting was difficult to capture on the phone. You can see I tried to overcompensate that a bit in a couple of the photos where it looks a bit over saturated. Summer times in Boston are truly something else.

3. Maybe you see something I don’t realize, but very curious to hear what it is about the structure that makes you believe it is flimsy. The base beneath the wooden planks is poured concrete. Actually, the whole structure itself is concrete

Parts felt flimsy when I was on it. I feel the same way about the boardwalk by the Converse building. It just feels like some of the planks aren't built to last.

And yet, somehow, humanity has survived for millennia with wooden benches.

And yet, somehow, humanity has survived for millennia with wooden benches.

It would be like if the average bench in the common only had a weight limit of 2 people. Then they would have all collapsed within a day. Of course, a collapsed bench probably isn't going to kill anybody. My continued point is that the stairs seem to be able to fit many more people than the occupancy allows, and I don't think the average person is going to try to count 40+ people before getting on the stairs themselves.

I was referring to sitting on wood = splinters.

Back