535-545 Boylston St. Redevelopment | Back Bay

There's a small triangle/parking lot next to the pike on the odd numbered side of Boylston, but Boston is citing the even numbered side ("1000"). Hmmm.

Based on the Boston Parcel Map, Mass. Ave is actually the 1060 block of Boylston. 1000 Boylston is also known as MassDOT air rights parcel 15. Stick has it right - it's a new render of the detailed building in his picture (I assume, since what Boston02124 described doesn't sound like what's pictured).

In short, I wouldn't hold my breath. Best case, this is a Viola-like official plan to be completed in 2025.

Also, Boston02124 - when you can post the render, can you do it in the dedicated MassDOT parcels thread?

It would be interesting to know how those were approved in the district, if they were. I think the BBAC dates from the mid-1960s so those could predate it.

That said, I'm not sure NIMBY is the right acronym. This is a designated historic district that has standards and guidelines to protect it, which is very different from random people protesting everything all the time.

JeffDowntown -- there is nothing remotely historic about the Darth Vader Building on Boylston

large_014e6cab6cb4514cb3ca4bfed8fa76cb.jpg

So the NIMBY argument against a tower on the corner of Boylston & Clarendon replacing these
535main.jpg

holds no water what so ever

So is there any news or you just saw a render and forgot this was a thing?

No its a ENF with new renderings of two buildings, that our company is summiting to MEPA tomorrow, sorry I wont do this again, I just get excited when these(new renderings) cross my desk, this new rendering is very different than the renderings shown above

Don't feel bad. I like the warning. Now I know to look for it tomorrow :).

There is no link I just saw the cover to the ENF booklet being printed for submission

Seeing that you said it had balconies I'm going to guess its a new and unseen design. Not a huge fan of balconies but if done right it can look good. The best part about this parcel is that it will block the view of 888 Boylston from the west. Then obviously coming in a close second is that it will knit the city together and deck over the pike..... Sarcasm obviously, but if this is moving forward this is HUGE.

The old BRA presentation:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/22873a11-94be-4be2-b3f5-f88b04bf2889

Heres the link whenever the time comes haha. In the meantime you guys can enjoy looking at renders of some extremely urgent needs of the city that wont get built for a very long time.

Why will it be a 'very long time' ? Steve Samuels + Weiner Ventures won the rights to develop Parcel 15 three and a half years ago. Would it not be safe to assume substantial progress has been made in the 1275 days since?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/03/samuels-weiner-win-air-rights-project.html

South Station was supposed to start 10+ years ago, Viola across the street is in "preconstruction" and its supposed to finish in 2020. These parcels haven't even had a peep written about them in years so until today when Boston2124 said he saw something, there was no news for 3 years. Well see what the BRA says though since it is apparently about to break one way or the other. Theres so much that will go into this parcel though that even when shovels touch the ground its going to be a few years from that point.

i read the pdf several months ago.

And with the two towers going all on terra firma,

i thought Parcel 15 didn't look bad compared to the 'others.'

Last edited:
The towers themselves are going on the ground, but they are still air rights parcels because the rest of the structure will cover the pike. Parcel 14 will require partial demolition of existing structures before it can commence. Boston02124 knows something we don't so apparently well find out soon what the deal is. I hope as much as the next person that these go up soon, we just have to wait and see.

Not really the right place to put this, but it's some new action on the fring of the BB.

At the corner of Stuart and Columbus this building is being renovated. Talked to crew member and he said it will become a new seafood resturant. Ground floor will be a bar, the kitchen will be on the second floor and the dinningroom will be on the third floor. He did not know what it will be called.
https://flic.kr/p/NcNSZw

https://flic.kr/p/MqkZWd

I'm shocked the Flash's space has been empty for so long now. It was a popular Liberty Mutual bar then it just shuttered one day.

I loved Flashes. Wasn't there a Viga on the corner? No big loss, as there are a couple of them in downtown.

Back