650 Eest Kendall | 650 East Kendall Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

stellarfun

Reaction score
This is the project bounded by Linskey Way, Atheenaeum St., and 2nd St in East Cambridge. For a long time, it was a foundation that pooled stagnant water. But now it is soaring!! I can find no name for the project, only that Berry is building it.

(This was previously under the Cambridge Developments thread, but as it soars, I thought it deserved its own thread.)

P1030349.jpg

P1030350.jpg

P1030352.jpg

P1030353.jpg

P1030354.jpg

P1030351.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The No Name Cambridge project. The Mosquito Pit Soars!

talk about the most mysterious project in boston...
does anyone have any idea what its going to be?

I'll take a stab in the dark and say: lab/research facility.

Don't ask me why, just a wild, crazy guess.

But it could be indistinguishably precast "condo" dormitory housing for lab rat workers, too!

^ hmm, i think you might be on to something...

The only other info that I have is that the original contractor (for the mosquito pit) was DiMeo, and it is not an MIT project.

Berry has his signs every thirty yards on the construction fence, but thats it.

Oh, and the below ground garage is probably four or five levels deep.

Awhile back the developers who built the Watermark said they were about to start construction on another 20-story condo tower ... could this be it?

edit: well i guess not ...

"Closer to the square, 300 units of housing in a 20-story high-rise building (known as Watermark) are now being occupied at Cambridge Research Park on Third Street. Ground has been broken for the 500 units of housing approved at 303 Third Street, just across the street. Approved in July of 2005, 180 units of housing are expected to be constructed in the heart of Kendall Square at Ames Street in another 20-story high-rise tower."

http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/cp/zng/growthpol/2007/grpol_2007_4.pdf

but this is another project to keep an eye out for.

Last edited:

Well, this stealth mode tactic is certainly one (successful) way of getting things built in this town.

With this kind of lack of info, it has to be for a lab/research client who prefers to remain anonymous, e.g. the architects can't identify the project by name on their website.

Wasn't Google looking for space in Cambridge? They are known to be pretty secretive and lord knows they have the cash to pull it off.

Of course this area is mostly pharmaland isn't it?

Wasn't Google looking for space in Cambridge? They are known to be pretty secretive and lord knows they have the cash to pull it off.

Yes it is pharmaland. If you Google satellite the location, it shows the mosquito pit. But I don't know how long ago the original excavation was done. I'd hazard a guess circa 2003-2005.

The only support I have for DiMeo being the original contractor was a discarded sign on the site about the time that a Berry sign appeared. This was maybe a year ago. I may be wrong but I don't think DiMeo constructs labs (something like Avenir, which they are building, is perhaps more their forte).

I'm as interested as anyone on this. I noticed it last week when I was on my way to a meeting. Berry is one of DFCI's "house" firms -- I'll email one of the PM's I know there and see if she can tell us what this project is.

Introducing: Googagra! Can't get it up? Turn SafeSearch off!

No, no. They are developing the gPill.

Can't remember where you put your keys? Pop a gPill!
"Oh yeah, I put them on my dresser! Thanks gPill!"

Side effects include random urges to shop at local stores that sell items related to your last pill usage.
"I really need to get down to CityLock and have some keys made!"

Talk to your doctor to see if the gPill is right for you!

This would be a great spot for the Virgle Mission control, right down the road from NASA's 'almost' mission control.

This project is 650 East Kendall Street. 280,000 SF of space in a six story building. This was one of two locations Google was looking at in Cambridge.

650ekendallnv2.gif

I tried to re-title the thread title to:
The No Name Cambridge project. Name Found: 650 E. Kendall

But i guess only administrators can modify thread titles.

Is there a West Kendall Street? The street isn't anywhere near six blocks long, so how does a building get 650 as an address?

I tried to re-title the thread title to:
The No Name Cambridge project. Name Found: 650 E. Kendall

But i guess only administrators can modify thread titles.

Done.

Re: 650 E. Kendall (The No Name Cambridge Project)

Damn I was hoping for a 1,000 footer.

Back