650 Eest Kendall | 650 East Kendall Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

Re: 650 E. Kendall (The No Name Cambridge Project)

Makes it easier.

I think everyone forgot about this building, myself included.

img0900o.jpg

img0903j.jpg

I like the plaza. Is that one cafe the only thing animating it?

That turned out pretty nice I think. No wonder we forgot, it doesn't have a name!

I was looking at Google Maps to figure out where this is and if I'm not mistaken it is where, in this old photo, this giant water filled hole is:

650ek.jpg

When those other lots are filled in that "open space" will actually be a nice park.

It's an ice rink in the winter. And I think that cafe turns into an indoor skate rental/ concesion stand.

That "cafe" isn't a cafe at all. It's just a garage, as my band and I learned today:

img0905j.jpg

But if there's no cafe, what are all those tables and chairs for?

But if there's no cafe, what are all those tables and chairs for?

Office workers eating lunch. The restaurant Aceituna is on the other side, and there's the farmers' market on Thursdays.

So went to Le Laboratroire today - AMAZING! We need more stuff like this. And the whole area around 3rd St is so much more alive than just two years ago. Anyway, the exhibit they have ends on Wednesday - check it out before it's gone.

http://www.lelaboratoirecambridge.com/

So went to Le Laboratroire today - AMAZING! We need more stuff like this. And the whole area around 3rd St is so much more alive than just two years ago. Anyway, the exhibit they have ends on Wednesday - check it out before it's gone.

http://www.lelaboratoirecambridge.com/

Sacré bleu :cool:

Je propose la name Le Petit Paris pour cette arrondissement de Cambridge :
  • LeLab
  • Le Cordon Bleu
  • Genzyme -- Sanofi
  • Café ArtScience
  • ??

C'est vrai. :)

This building has sat empty for about 5 years. It is just now getting tenants. Its an ok building by a good architect (CO architects out of LA). Each facade is interesting in its own way ... but very confusing as a whole.

The "Cafe" is a multi functioning space. The park is where they set metal tables and chairs out and people eat their lunch there. The "building" opens up and they have live music to entertain the lunchers. In the winter the "building" is the skating rink warming buildings and sales point and the plaza turns into public seating.

Its a pretty nice public space that the public has not really found yet.

cca

C'est vrai. :)

This building has sat empty for about 5 years. It is just now getting tenants. Its an ok building by a good architect (CO architects out of LA). Each facade is interesting in its own way ... but very confusing as a whole.

The "Cafe" is a multi functioning space. The park is where they set metal tables and chairs out and people eat their lunch there. The "building" opens up and they have live music to entertain the lunchers. In the winter the "building" is the skating rink warming buildings and sales point and the plaza turns into public seating.

Its a pretty nice public space that the public has not really found yet.

cca

It really is. I remember being despondent when the Genzyme building was finished, since the area around it was so underutilized and I was worried that the powers that be would keep the gravel lots and surface parking lots. This square now is large enough to feel open but protected by buildings nicely to feel intimate enough as well. I'm amazed at how nicely third street has suddenly turned out. And of course the kayak station on the canal... I hope volpe gets done right. And then the other big piece of the puzzle is what to do about binney street...

650 East Kendall was the one that sat as a stalled hole in the ground for a while when the economy imploded.

New home of Baxter -- so the old "Cantabrigia dividitur in partes duas: MIT Harvard" has a sequel:

"Kendall magnus pharma dividitur in partes tres: Novartis, Pfizer, Baxter" :)

I didn't realize this is where Baxter was signing into. I just looked up the stats for the building & the lease, and they are going to take up about 200k sq ft of the 280k total. Pretty impressive.

Back