691 Mass Ave | South End

Re: 691 Mass Ave

Is this really the case or is this just a cop-out? Couldn't you just put one entrance at ground level with access to an elevator?

better street level interaction without the stairs, plus the design looks good. Great job, I think the ADA actually helps in this case (having everything look retro is a bit too much classicism for no good reason).

There is an article in this week's Courant about this project. It said construction should begin next spring. It also printed a rendering of the latest design:

691_mass_ave_studio_luz-1.jpg

Much better with the cornice than the original....I wonder if the facade is brick or stone? Also, I assume those glass bump outs are bays windows and not just for decoration. All in all, I like it.

I like it. The cornice is an improvement, but it needs to be dialed in a bit. I'll bet this is executed in terra cotta -- would love to see it in Roman brick.

I love it! It looks contemporary and modern yet fits right in with older buildings.

I personally liked the original better, though this is ok. I'm not fond of the protruding glass windows, and this design lacks the whimisical, haphazard window placement instead going for a more toned down, traditional look.

Is the glass on the top portion of the bay windows (because I'm presuming that's what they are?) doubling as a glass railing of sorts for an upper floor balcony? I think that would be an interesting design trait. Anyway, I like this. A lot.

OK, I guess I should ask instead, what was torn down to make way for this development?

OK, I guess I should ask instead, what was torn down to make way for this development?

Scroll left on the map, its all surface parking lots. Maybe there was never anything there.

Very nice. An excellent balance of respecting the historical context without trying to imitate it. Naturally, it could still be ruined with crappy exterior materials, etc...

More like this, please.

Ron, I'm stumped. I don't know. For as long as I remember (20 years) it has been an empty lot. I've just started an internet search.

From the description on two of these photos, it may have been part of the New England Deaconess hospital. I wasn't aware they ever had part of their hospital in the South End. Scroll through the photos.

http://www.bidmc.org/AboutBIDMC/TheHistoryofBIDMC/HistoricPhotoGallery.aspx

Can't find nothing else although other people have had better luck finding documents on the BRA's site.

I don't think the site had the right shape or context for as dramatic a departure as the original design. I like the new one.

Construction fencing has gone up and they've set up a pedestrian walk around using jersey barriers. Looks like they're still on schedule to break ground this spring.

Impressive. There's usually a 50% chance that a redesign order will bring back a plan immeasurably worse than the original. This falls into the other 50%.

I really hope the reality matches the vision.

Are they using the whole lot for the building or will they include a small park?

I've never heard anything about a park. (Was that a serious question or are you trying to instigate the anti-open space forces on this board).

Back