75 Morrissey Boulevard | Dorchester

Equilibria

Reaction score
75_Morrissey%20REP%2011-19.jpg

https://www.dotnews.com/2019/developers-pitch-residential-towers-old-ch-56-site

A rendering from The Architectural Team shows a conceptual rendering of 23- and 26-story towers, containing around 750 units and with underground parking garages, proposed for the former Channel 56 property at 75 Morrissey Boulevard. Development team Center Court Partners emphasizes that these are “very early days” and nothing has yet been filed with the city. Neighbors got their first look at the potential plans at a Columbia-Savin Hill Civic Association planning committee meeting on Tuesday.

This has been in the Dorchester Reporter before in the fall, and Buildup has that article referenced, but I don't think AB has a thread on this yet. Note that while this same developer owns the next two on the north (Star Market and Beasley Media Group), they can't develop them until the leases run out. I wonder how ironclad that is, or whether those tenants could be enticed to work with the developer in return for better/newer space, so this might just be a way to phase things.

Good news: rental housing. Bad news: The Architectural Team.

I feel like the Savin Hill Neighborhood association will/has already had a conniption about this one lol

Woah, that's bold. I hope it happens, but I'm skeptical.

Wow! Maaann.... imagine if this city actually built all of the things it proposes. It would be incredible. Even just the reasonable things would be amazing.

Is it me or does this low-effort render look like it's meant to be DOA?

Here's the Columbia Point Master Plan:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/3dbb6601-3336-492e-bc69-cc4ef07f8dd1

The Hub 25 building should have been a lot taller, so they're trying to make it up with these.

Here:

Looking at this and then considering whats proposed north of here on Dot ave... theres a serious amount of development potential here. Lets hope we get even half of this, that would still be a huge amount. Theres like half of downtown Boston worth of office space proposed between both of these. The best part is these all fall right on the red line, linking them with a 1 seat ride to Kendall/MIT/Harvard/Cambridge.
V5RSdZJ.png

This reminds me, I think the one good Boston2024 idea was to move Exit 14 north and have it come out behind the Globe and meet a newly designed intersection with Bianculli. Wonder if that's possible without changing the Globe footprint.

Through a three-phase plan that could unfold over a decade or more, Center Court Partners intends to transform the parcels between the former Boston Globe site and the Hub 25 buildings near JFK/UMass station into a streetscape of towers with an internal roadway.

Down the line, Center Court envisions four or five new buildings in phases two and three, accounting for 1,080 units of housing, 86,500 square feet of retail, including a 60,000-square foot market, and around 1,000 parking spaces.

https://www.dotnews.com/2019/developers-unveil-vision-parcels-morrissey

Well, if this gets through as it is, even in reduced form, it is still a win. This puts new housing, including affordable housing in Dorchester.

I imagine that Dorchester real estate is getting more expensive with the rest of Boston. Hopefully, developments like this will help relieve the pressure.

From 26 and 23, down to 24 and 21, down again to 17 and 15. The extraordinary aversion to height in this city is getting old. (actually, it has already been old since before I was born)

You’re not wrong. But at the same time these are long standing low-rise residential neighborhoods. Dorchester has never had a skyline. Not because of opposition, but because there wasn’t demand for it. It’s hard to blame long-time residents for their opposition. Pro-development folks just need to get better organized. Residents vote when they’re mad. That influences the pols. Pro-dev folks will keep being disappointed in the neighborhoods until they can offer up a sufficient political counterweight.

George, this isn't in the middle of single family homes, it's surrounded by major roads on both sides with commercial and multi-family properties on the ends. This is the perfect spot for mid-rise height. If not here, then where?

Obviously here. I'm just saying the political reality. Pro-development folks need to get organized if they want to overcome the very loud and very participatory voters and residents who oppose change. Developers would rather placate than fight as long as they can make their ROI.

Back