817 Albany Street (BUMC Dorm) | South End

"The 84,000-square-foot? high-rise planned for 817 Albany Street..."

This is what's considered a high-rise in the city? Boston's in trouble.

It is about 10 stories and will be surrounded by low buildings; technically is is a high-rise. The average height in Boston is still pretty low, I'd guess 4 or 5 stories.

I combined this thread with an older thread for this project that I forgot about.

Incidentally, this project is slated for the site of the former Fallon project known as Albany Fellows. The thread on that project from the old site can be found here: http://www.archboston.org/archive/viewtopic.php?t=353

Here's a rendering of that earlier proposal:
albany_fellows_stull_and_lee.jpg

Did you have to tell us we could have had that instead?

Actually, the old project looks similar to Northeastern's International Village, including the gray/blotchy salmon colored facade. But since it wasn't a Northeastern project, it will be getting positive comments.

Wow, that would have been the shot in the arm to BUMC.

Why the dumbass glass bays? If it's going to be so boring, why not at least be fully-traditional-boring?

The dumbass glass bays are found in every new BU building. Their trademark?

Or a trademark of the dumb-ass architectural firm that designs all these buildings, Beacon Architectural Associates.

Ground breaking last week(10/28/10). BU continues it's tradition of bad architecture:

Mayor Menino Joins BU School of Medicine to Break Ground on New Graduate Student Residence

Mayor Thomas M. Menino today joined Boston University President Robert Brown and officials from the Boston University School of Medicine to celebrate the groundbreaking of a new graduate student residence on the Boston University Medical Campus (BUMC). The nine-story, $40 million structure is designed by Beacon Architectural Associates with a brick and limestone fa?ade in the classic Boston tradition. Its 104 two-bedroom suites that include bath, kitchenette and living spaces will accommodate 208 students, each with individual bedrooms, the standard for graduate student housing. It is expected to take 18 months to complete.
?I?m proud to support this project because it will create graduate student housing for more than 200 students who will be the next doctors, researchers, and public health leaders,? Mayor Menino said. ?Additionally, this project creates 250 much needed construction jobs, allowing more men and women to go back to work. In the last few weeks alone, we?ve celebrated a handful of groundbreakings, signifying that people continue to invest in Boston despite the slowdown in the national economy. Finally, I want to thank Boston University for providing more on-campus housing as every new residence hall built frees up housing units in our neighborhoods for working families.?

?The addition of on-campus housing has been something that the medical school has talked about for decades,? said BU President Robert Brown, PhD. ?With the generous support of our friends and alumni, the concept of student housing at Boston University School of Medicine is becoming a reality. The fundraising for this project is not yet complete, but we have reached a milestone where we are confident of attaining our goal.?

The new residence hall will replace a presently vacant structure and existing surface parking/storage uses along with substantial open space that will contribute to the character of the surrounding neighborhood. The project will also reduce pressure on local affordable housing, and increase foot traffic and commercial activity in the area. The residence will add to the already substantial investments the University has made on campus and in the surrounding area.

?Providing safe, affordable housing for our students will provide a sense of community for our students as well as decrease students commuting time and educational debt,? said Medical Campus Provost and Boston University School of Medicine Dean Karen Antman, MD. ?We have expanded and renovated campus facilities to accommodate the academic and research requirements of a modern educational and scientific center. We are now adding residential campus housing. We are pleased that these projects enrich the South End community as well as our campus,? she added.
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/press/PressDisplay.asp?pressID=569

what's that old art deco building in detroit with the doric columns? it reminds me of that...

nm; I found it...sigh...so nice...

depot.jpg

Last edited:
That's Michigan Central Station or something like that.

3/12 not much progress.

Anybody up for an ADA sidewalk lawsuit?

IMG_8858.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

Back