93 Mass Ave (Other Side Cafe) | 93-97 Massachusetts Ave | Back Bay

Dave, you normally rail against facadectomies. I'm curious why you think this is better?
(I'm not baiting or anything. I respect your opinion - I get the impression you're an architect).

This is somewhat the opposite of one; instead of salvaging the facade and tearing down the building behind, they scrapped 99% of the facade but kept the bones of the building behind it, although severely altered.

As a preservationist, I think what they did here is just as bad as a facadectomy. You loose all the rich evidence that is encased within the walls, the story the building tells to someone who looks. You also loose all of the craftsmanship originally put into it, and all the the energy to make the materials. The Standards for Historic Preservation mandate anything salvageable be salvaged, anything repairable be repaired. Replacement should be the very last option. What they did here was lazy.

That being said, the craftsmanship on the rebuild/replica is fantastic. As someone who's done some construction (and yes, I'm also a trained designer) its blowing my socks off. It's probably the best the building has looked in 100 years.

So, I guess my awe at what a great job they are doing rebuilding the facade is winning over the preservationist in me that is appalled at the blatant disregard for the historic fabric. It's a nice reversal, I was seething when they first started the project.

That being said, the craftsmanship on the rebuild/replica is fantastic. As someone who's done some construction (and yes, I'm also a trained designer) its blowing my socks off. It's probably the best the building has looked in 100 years.

So, I guess my awe at what a great job they are doing rebuilding the facade is winning over the preservationist in me that is appalled at the blatant disregard for the historic fabric. It's a nice reversal, I was seething when they first started the project.

Thanks. That's informative. I get what you mean...

I think the building looks great. My only quibble is it appears from KZs photos that the Mass Ave ground floor is an expanse of glass. Their used to be multiple storefronts facing mass ave on the ground floor. I'll reserve final judgment , but that would be a shame for such a busy area of the city

14324197232_729e4901f2_b.jpg

14139337850_3c24080163_b.jpg

14325255754_102bcee0ca_b.jpg

This is very nice. My only critique would be the short glass wall connecting the old building to the new one--makes the old facade seem like just a ... well ... facade. But all in all this is a handsome, contextual improvement. Two thumbs up.

And right on cue, I got a Room and Board catalog in my mailbox yesterday.

This building is beautiful and it probably should be as it seems like it took them forever

Yawn, who cares how pretty this building is, the Otherside Cafe here was 100x better for the urban vibrancy of this area.

^+1, even though I hadn't been there in 15 years.

Back