99 High St. Set For Major Makeover

philip

Reaction score
From banker and tradesman

Face of Hub?s 99 High St. Set for Extreme Makeover
By Joe Clements

This rendering depicts a preliminary view of what 99 High St. in Boston could look like once the Rose Kennedy Greenway is in place.

99HighGreenwayRendering.jpg

A downtown Boston office tower is about to get a major makeover.

Purchased last year by pension fund behemoth TIAA-CREF, 99 High St. will see extensive changes to its facade and entrances, while retail space also will be reconfigured in a plan still in the formative stages. An architect could be retained by the ownership as early as this week, according to industry sources, and a formal design is expected to be unveiled shortly thereafter.

The first stage of TIAA-CREF?s initiative is already in place, with officials at the New York-based institutional investor acknowledging that they have retained Spaulding & Slye as exclusive leasing agent, property manager and on-call construction manager for the 32-story property. In a release dispatched last week to Banker & Tradesman, Managing Director of Real Estate Mark Wood said ?we look forward to working with Spaulding & Slye to maintain the high standard of this unique property,? adding that TIAA-CREF?s long-term vision for 99 High St. includes a capital improvements program ?that will integrate the building into the surrounding Greenway and Financial District.?

The Greenway to which Wood alluded is the Rose Kennedy Greenway, along which the Central Artery viaduct once ran before being depressed as the cornerstone of the city?s $15 billion Big Dig project. Any scars remaining from that undertaking are slated to be replaced by an expansive strip of parks, pedestrian walkways and public-oriented buildings, and commercial property owners along the mile-long swath are moving to take advantage of that investment in advance of the changes.

The nearby Federal Reserve Bank tower at 600 Atlantic Ave. is in the final stages of a street-level restoration of its premises, for example, including new greenery on the strip which once faced the artery. Equity Office Properties is proposing similar landscaping for its Russia Wharf office complex diagonally across Atlantic Avenue from 99 High St. A three-building development that sits at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Congress Street, the Russia Wharf project is being done as part of its conversion to a mixed-use enclave by EOP, a $270 million plan that will feature the addition of residential units, plus new hotel and retail space.

Although TIAA-CREF?s concept will not be available for public consumption until later this summer, Spaulding & Slye Managing Director William P. Barrack predicted that the commitment from the ownership will give 99 High St. a fresh look from the outside, one that will bolster the leasing program.

?It?s a great assignment, a great owner and a great building,? he said of being selected as exclusive leasing agent. Barrack and Vice President Ben Heller will head up the leasing effort, while Senior Vice President Dan Ozelius and Vice President Heather Thompson comprise the building?s management team. Construction duties will be handled by Spaulding & Slye Managing Directors Mark David and Al Woods.

?New Life?
Now celebrating its 35th anniversary, making it one of Boston?s oldest towers, 99 High St. is actually not as ancient as the calendar might suggest, said Barrack, noting that the 730,000-square-foot structure benefited from a $20 million renovation in the mid-1990s by the previous owners that restored common areas, added new elevators and brought other modern mechanical systems in to help the property compete with newer arrivals such as the nearby 125 High St. and International Place.

Those improvements have since been enjoyed by 99 High St.?s tenants, but Barrack said the work was largely invisible to the public. The TIAA-CREF renovation will concentrate on improving the outside aspects of the tower, he said, explaining that ?it?s all about bringing new life to the building and [taking advantage] of the greenway? changes. A preliminary rendering provided by TIAA-CREF shows substantial plantings surrounding 99 High St. as well as a refurbished exterior and a new entranceway along Atlantic Avenue that offers direct access to the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

As much as any property along the former artery?s route, 99 High St. is expected to benefit from the depression given its site directly abutting the roadway. ?You can?t build on a better location,? said Barrack. ?It?s really at ground zero.? That goes not just for having direct frontage along the greenway, he said, but also when doing business in the Financial District. According to Barrack, more than 50 percent of the district?s office space is sited within four blocks of 99 High St., whose construction in the early 1970s helped push the city?s downtown boundaries outward from its historic epicenter at State and Congress Streets.

Acquired by TIAA-CREF for $275 million, 99 High St. is presently about 92 percent occupied, Barrack estimated, with the tenant roster featuring such strong credit companies as KPMG, AIG Insurance, PNC Bank, AON and the Hancock Natural Resources Group. Besides the mechanical improvements borne from the previous renovation, 99 High St. is also attractive to image-conscious companies due to superior views which begin at the eighth floor, said Barrack, while the presence of the greenway should prevent future construction from disrupting those sight lines.

Barrack could not provide a timetable for the renovations to begin, but said his firm?s client is ?eager? to get the program under way. The owners, he said, hope to take advantage of Boston?s improving office market, which has righted itself following a harsh downturn that gripped the region for several years prior to a rebound that now seems firmly in place.

?We?re already working on deals,? Barrack said of the leasing effort.

Spaulding & Slye puts the current vacancy rate for the Financial District at 10.1 percent following positive net absorption of 205,000 square feet in the first quarter. And while some say the first half of 2006 has slowed from an impressive 2005 result, Barrack reported that landlords are increasingly confident about the future, with high-rise space in the market especially tight at present. That is leading to rental rates beginning to creep into the $60 per-square-foot range for the best options, he said.

^ My first 'corporate' job was in 99 High (aka Keystone Building--worked for its first namesake).

I met this guy, and he looked like he might be a hat check clerk at an ice rink. Which, in fact, he turned out to be. And I said: Oh boy. Right again.
Laurie Anderson, "Let X=X"

Exciting news. A long while back I posted a couple of long rants defending the Greenway from criticisms that's it's too long, too wide, too green, and lined with too many blank walls, loading docks and parking garages to be a successful urban space. The thread was lost in the Great Crash but I type my posts into Word documents (much easier than typing them into a web page) which I still have. After reading about 99 High, the Aquarium garage proposal, the farmer's market proposal (plus the moronically named Broadluxe now U/C and Greenway Place) I feel like indulging in an "Oh boy, right again" moment by reposting some excerpts.

The RK Greenway will be very different than Comm Ave. For one thing, the wide Greenway will be flanked by multi-lane surface thruways for intercity flammable cargo trucks not allowed in the tunnel below, plus serve as a major feeder route to the widely spaced Artery ramps.

To the best of my knowledge the surface thruways, ramps, feeder routes and flammable cargo trucks will be there regardless of what gets built on the parcels. If you're going to have them, then it's better to have open space and trees to dissipate and absorb the sound from all that traffic than to have corridors of hard walls that contain and reflect it.

Also, Comm. Ave is solidly flanked by buildings on both sides which decidedly are oriented to the mall. In contrast, the RK Greenway will have huge gaps and inconsistencies in the building facade, and the buildings that are there will often face the side streets or away from the mall.

Rest assured, the buildings flanking the Greenway will decidedly change their orientation in the near future. As is often pointed out here, people think greener is better. The good thing about that is they're willing to pay more so they can look out the window and see trees and green open space. No property owner with half a brain is going to pass up the opportunity to reorient their building to the Greenway so they can charge higher rents or sell for a bigger profit. On the other hand, it's not obvious to me that putting up buildings instead of parks will give them as much incentive to reorient, because no one is going to pay a premium to look at walls and windows. The buildings facing the side street could just go on facing the side street so that the two corridor streets end up with a fair amount of blank walls on one side, which is not going to do much as far as creating a lively pedestrian environment.

Have many solid areas of multi-use buildings going across the corridor, to break up the corridor effect.

One man's corridor is another's grand boulevard. Hopefully the Greenway will come to be thought of as the latter, rather than a series of linear parks. That's how I think of it, and that's why I'm not as pessimistic as most about the outcome. I don't see the parks as the main attraction. I see them as the catalyst that will give abutting property owners an incentive to create the main attraction: the solid areas of multi-use building you mention, except along the corridor rather than across it. The parks also add to the desirability of living in that area. Some see Broad Street becoming a residential corridor, largely because of the parks at its end. These factors are what I see keeping things lively, not the parks in and of themselves.

Hopefully some of the forum's Greenway doubters will start to share my enthusiam for these linear parks, not because the parks themselves are anything special, but because of the effect they have on their surroundings. We're starting to see those effects already and they're only likely to grow and reinforce one another once there's an actual Greenway instead of muddy fields.

The owners of those buildings flanking to corridor are very lucky that their buildings had the "misfortune" of being built next to a hulking, ugly, elevated highway.

The big dig is almost finished installing sidewalks around 99High, they obviously can't expand beyond what is there. The only major things I could see is removing the current loading dock an put it in the parking garage. And/Or relocating the parking garage(and maybe loading dock) entrance to High Street, but I don't think there is room on High-Street

Any update on 99 High Street

It does seem ideally placed to benefit from the Greenway and to add a new layer of retail or restaurants right on the Greenway

Westy

Actually the 99 High Street Rehab is part of the Blackstone Rahab Project.
I think there are actually about 4 or 5 buildings that they are rehabbing all at once.
The ones I know of are:
1 Post Office Square
99 High
225 Franklin
100 Franklin

And last I could tell from the 99 High Rehab is pretty mundane.
Very boring to say the least.
They replaced the stone frontage with granite which IMHO looks the EXACT same as it did before. And the inserts in the windows went from Black to gold.
Aside from that some small lights are in place. I think they are going to do a new sign for the 99 High logo but that is not in place as of yet (I took the week off so I have not been in Boston this past week) Last week they were prepping the sidewalks and tore down those ugly lamp posts. The ones that were cement with rocks / pebbles and the round globes up top. Those are torn down. Aside from that not much else is new on that location.
Will try to get new photos next week.
Stay tuned.

99 High is not part of the Blackstone makeover; as said above 99 is owned by TIAA-CREF. It's purely coincidence that it's happening at the same time as all the others. (Speaking of the others, when will Blackstone start work on 60 State?).

whighlander, everybody's been posting posting photo updates of this project over in the Blackstone thread: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1717&page=8

AH

Gotcha.

yeah I thought they were all lumped together. my bad.
thanks for clearing that up for me.

I work at 99 high st ,they're just doing the bottom of the building nothing speacial so far!

If they weren't based on a suburban model I'd say a 99 Restaurant would be perfect for dinner time office crowd.

^^ Oddly enough, the name 99 comes from their first restaurant which was located one block over at 99 Oliver St

What? Pink granite is in style anymore?

One of my coworkers once told me it used to be 99 Oliver, 99 High, and one other street at #99 that they were located before moving into a suburban chain market. The 70s and 80s saw most of the original buildings at those locations razed for the sterile vertical 'office parks' we have today.

I never knew that. Strange to think of the 99 as a Financial District restaurant!

Boston02124

Cool photos from your office at 99 High.

:Wavey:

I am on the 11th floor of 185 Franklin Street.
small world as they say.

I wish they would do something with 100 Federal.
so boring. just a bunch of granite planters.

tables and chairs would be nice like in front of the internatinoal.... they deff need to move that cornerstone that they treat like it is a piece of moon rock all taking "Center stage and all" ha ha

Back