A long weekend in Boston

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a friend coming from NYC this weekend (tonight thru Sunday) to see Boston for the first time. I've done this grand tour many times before and have a route that I like to take, but I was wondering how you guys do it so I could maybe switch it up or go to some new places that you like to show people. Unlike some of my other friends that visit, he is not involved in the architecture world, so I want to switch up my route because the usual one might be a little drab for him. For reference, he is 28.

Feel free to suggest walking routes, restaurants, bars, landmarks/places, etc that you like or always show people. Thanks for your help. =)

-Tim

I usually bring people up Boylston... starting from Northeastern, I'd go to the MFA, the Fens, and Fenway Park, and go from there. If not that, I would definitely try to add in the Christian Science Center and/or the SW Corridor as I feel it not that well known as a destination. I love taking my friends down it- they never know it's there, despite living 10 minutes from it for the last few years.

Once you start getting to the Public Garden and the Common you could point in really any direction and see where your friend wants to go.

I'd also try the Harborwalk around Rowes Wharf and the Aquarium and maybe around the Courthouse at Fort Point.

For food I heavily recommend Saus on Union Street, right next to the Holocaust Memorial. They serve Belgian fries with a variety of dipping sauces, waffles, sandwiches, and they have a huge amount of beers available.

Otherwise, I'm too young to get into a bar yet (TEN MONTHS!) so I'll leave that to you.

Good luck! I hope your friend enjoys his time here.

Keep in mind there's gonna be a lot of people around because of the Marathon. Might want to avoid the top tourist spots (although a quick walk through couldn't hurt. Just wouldn't try to eat anywhere in the Back Bay). Maybe do Chinatown, Charlestown, Harvard Square, or one of the more off the beaten path neighborhoods.

when you go to charlestown, if its nice, take a seat on the deck, order some chowder and a beer and watch the skyline fad at sunset. Great view and spot to catch up with someone.

I added the Charlestown Ferry to my out-of-towner tour recently, it gives a great view of downtown from the water and dumps you off right in the Navy Yard.

I'll second the Christian Science plaza, but suggest going into the maparium as well, its pretty cool.
Whenever I'm in the area, I always take people into Bodega. The "secret" sliding soda machine is awesome. You just have to make sure you wait until no one is going through it before you go in or it spoils the whole surprise.

Good call with Charlestown guys! I love that Navy Yard area and the ferry ride. Weather tomorrow should be ok for it.

Also, re: underground good call with the Marathon. I had that in mind too. I'll probably just shuffle him down Newbury to Copley Sq, say here is Copley Sq/there's the marathon finish line and then move along. I actually invited him to stay through Monday with me and watch it, but he couldn't get the extra time off.

Back