A University in a Small City

I realized it was irrelevant to the subject at hand, which became: "How is New Haven's crime situation like Rio de Janeiro's?" I realized my post was completely irrelevant to that question, so I deleted it. If a moderator chose to start a thread titled "How New Haven's Crime Scene Resembles Rio de Janeiro's", I'd be happy to restore my now irrelevant post as a separate thread, entitled "A University in a Small City."

Wow. Hyperbole, much?

God forbid your threads (I expressed how much I enjoyed them on the first page) be takeoffs for interesting and/or heated discussion of topics beyond architecture - as if socioeconomics and politics are such easily segregated topics, anyway.

I don't really mind if you want people to praise the prettiness of Yale in a separate thread, but deleting the original to make this point seems a bit petulant.

^^Yes, true, but I am biased from my own personal observations. Except in downtown, over 90% of people I see are African-American, probably because of the specific neighborhoods I drive through and the fact that they are more visible because they are outside more often and stand out more to me than an equal number of whites, due to me being an unconscious racist.

Ablarc, this thread is significantly less interesting without the original post. I'd love to hear you trash Yale (apparently that's what happened) and hear your thoughts about New Haven's urbanity (or lack thereof). I just visited KU in Lawrence, KS; and it seems to be much the same as Yale.

EDIT: By saying KU is much the same as Yale, I really meant the situation of Lawrence and New Haven. Yale and KU are very, very different schools-I know. Sorry if anyone was confused.

Last edited:
He did not trash Yale in any way. And yes, I'd like the original post to return too.

Ablarc, c'mon, stop being a baby. I actually considered your demand, but the conversation shifted in an organic (albeit, somewhat silly) way. I wouldnt know where to split the thread.

These discussions have a tendency to veer off. If you think it's going too far off course, just steer it back. It's a conversation, afterall, not a lecture.

I loved the original post. It made me actually start planning a trip down to New Haven. You really should restore it.

Thanks for restoring your original post, ablarc.

A candid, thoughtful discussion of racial issues should always be part of the broader discussion of the history and missteps of urban planning.

This insightful article by David Sokol in the latest issue or ArchRecord covers issues of diversity in the field, in particular the challenges of African Americans to gain a more meaningful foothold as others have in different professional disciplines.

I'm shocked if it's true that Yale's "ancient-looking architecture is barely eighty years old on average." You could have fooled me, and I just returned from Oxford. Built to last 500 years is right.

I don't remember Yale being nearly as monumental(?) as your post indicates, but I wasn't very observant when I toured. About all I remember is the Beinecke library (who doesn't?), the word 'Gothic', and some famous pizza joint.

^Pepe's.

Yale is planning to expand by adding two additional residential colleges, though I don't yet think they've chosen a plan or a style. That being said, they're amassing a multi-billion dollar war chest, and the school remains one of the only entities in the country still devoted to building truly good architecture - there's a lot to be excited about.

How do you amass a multi-billion dollar war chest right now? Even Harvard is having trouble with theirs. And, as everyone knows, Harvard > Yale.

^

Yale in biggest expansion in nearly four decades
Sat Jun 7, 2008 10:04pm EDT
By Jason Szep

BOSTON (Reuters) - Yale University unveiled its biggest expansion in nearly four decades on Saturday, with plans to build two new residential colleges that would raise undergraduate enrollment by 15 percent.

The new colleges at the Ivy League school in New Haven, Connecticut, would open in 2013 and increase enrollment to about 6,000 students, President Richard Levin said in a letter to alumni posted on Yale's Web site.

The last significant increase in the student body came with the admission of women in 1969, he said. Undergraduate enrollment has fluctuated between 5,150 and 5,350 in recent years.

Getting into Yale, the alma mater of U.S. President George W. Bush, has been getting harder due to a surge in applicants. Other prestigious schools, including Yale's arch-rival Harvard, are seeing a similar rise.

Yale now admits fewer than 10 percent of more than 20,000 students who apply to the undergraduate school each year, compared with about 20 percent in 1999, said Levin.

"Admissions officers agree that in each of the past several years we have denied admission to hundreds of applicants who would have been admitted 10 years ago," he said.

"In addition, since the late-1970s, when the undergraduate population ceased to grow, Yale is larger in virtually every dimension: faculty, staff, library and museum resources, and physical presence," he said.

"We are well poised, therefore, to expand."

Yale, backed by a $22.5 billion endowment that makes it one of the world's richest universities, has 12 residential colleges.

The expansion comes amid a building boom at U.S. universities -- from Stanford University on the West Coast to the Ivy League schools of the Northeast.

Reasons for the whirl of construction activity vary, from a surge in enrollment as children of the baby-boom generation enter college to growing competition in China and other Asian regions for the world's top scientists.

Surviving on a high-school diploma is also harder than ever in the United States, pushing more people into university. Some schools in big cities want a larger slice of the lucrative student landlord market, building dormitories to capture more rental income.

Some institutions like University of California, Stanford and Harvard University are upgrading aging infrastructure, in part to head off rising enrollment with 2009 expected to bring 3.2 million high school graduates, the highest number ever.

Backed by rising tuitions and growing endowments, schools are also piling on amenities unheard of 20 or 30 years ago -- from condominium-style residence halls with suites boasting private kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms to recreation centers resembling country clubs.

Yale's expansion will add more faculty, classroom space, a cafe and a theater, Levin said.

He said he was increasing a fundraising campaign goal to $3.5 billion from $3 billion and had already secured $140 million in gifts and pledges to help pay for the expansion.

Entirely possible it will end up being put on ice. But remember that universities hardly ever fund construction from their endowment - that is generally done through fund raising campaigns and loans.

Many schools are still in the middle of such efforts right now (mine included).

The university website claims they've raised roughly 2.62 billion of the necessary 3.5. I have no idea about Harvard's situation.

More information on Yale's residential college expansion. They've commissioned Robert Stern to design the colleges in the traditional collegiate Yale Gothic style:

ViewofYaleCollegeRobertSternStikeman.jpg

Residential%20College%202.jpg

I'm happy to see this has caught on at Yale as well -- these renderings look promising.

Why do all Boston area universities insist on the avant guard over traditional residential architecture? These ambitious plans are part of what makes Yale the university that it is -- BC should take a lesson.

I'm amazed Yale can still afford to steam ahead with this after its endowment plunge. Remember that Harvard has shelved Allston indefinitely.

New Haven is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was even 5 years ago. Yale's Gothic campus is a force to be reckoned with. I've always wondered why collegiate Gothic never caught on at Harvard, especially during the height of it's 19th Century popularity in the US.

Maybe by that time Georgian was already too deeply identified with "brand Harvard". Most of the buildings in the Yard had always been in that mode, whereas Yale was a bit more eclectic in the later 19th century.

Back