AB Google Earth Guessing Game

Ah, man! The angle had me totally thrown off, I'd have never figure it out. I was trying to think of everywhere that would have a bridge and be near the tracks visible in the bottom left.

There's some pretty critical red line and MBTA support facilities, as well as subway operations and bus maintenance facilities that would need to find a new home before any development can take place on much of the "undeveloped" land around there.. Further down the road the commuter rail maintenance facility and Amtrak are going to be very difficult to relocate or build around. We're talking master developers with deep pockets to make this work..

Charlestown, City Square near Legal Sea Foods
Not to be a pedant but that is Thompson Square, Charlestown, not City Sq. :) After all these years still with that ordinary little package store at the corner that needs a nice triangular structure to anchor the space.

0726_beyond-walls-11.jpg

Last edited:
not sure what zone 1a means but it looks like the Longwood Mall?? I usually park there to walk over to emerald necklace trials or timeout market.
I clarified that Zone 1A is MBTA Fare Zone ,which is roughly the core & streetcar suburbs of 021, 020, and 024, or "the first one or two CR stops"

It is not Longwood Mall, whose beeches are a personal fave. What I like about this spot is that both the building and the park appear to be from the Federal era/style (Louisburg/Chester/Worcester Sq) but it isn't and wasn't.

Found it through brute force clicking and dragging: Brooks Park in Medford https://goo.gl/maps/qSvkjbShkKLHZsrm8
Correct. I don't have the whole story on it but I believe the "octagon house" at the right probably belonged to a Brooks (as in Phillips Brooks and Abigail Brown Brooks Adams) back when the Brooks still had summer/country houses all over Medford), and the Brooks Park would have begun life as a "circular driveway"

I'm guessing that when the Brooks (or heirs/assigns) wanted to develop, they were forced to build the featured apartment block new in the very "Federal Style" shown (it looks like a c. 2000 version of louisbg sq)

NEARBY BUT SLIGHTLY TOO OBVIOUS?
Fun fact: this house is catty-corner to the Royall House and Slave Quarters slave-trader whose controversial bequest founded Harvard Law when he died in exile (a Tory, he'd fled). It is fun because the Brooks and Royalls were very much on opposite sides in their politics too. Shoulda given you this view:
or

Not in Boston, but is in Zone 1A.
View attachment 1830

Last edited:
Not in Boston, but is in Zone 1A.
View attachment 1830
I used to live in the building off screen to the right of the red house on the side there, 25 Brooks Park. It always bothered me how dense the pictured building was; not because it wasn't located at the junction of 2 routes (96 and the 101), but because almost none of those residents used public transit. The building to the left however, I rode the bus with them every day.

I used to live in the building off screen to the right of the red house on the side there, 25 Brooks Park. It always bothered me how dense the pictured building was; not because it wasn't located at the junction of 2 routes (96 and the 101), but because almost none of those residents used public transit. The building to the left however, I rode the bus with them every day.

That sounds creepy and stalkerish. You know for a fact that public transit was the most efficient form of transportation for all of them to reach their destinations?

That sounds creepy and stalkerish. You know for a fact that public transit was the most efficient form of transportation for all of them to reach their destinations?
No, of course I do not know "in fact". I knew who rode the bus because over years, you would see the riders and where they went. Just as they saw me go into my home. Have you never noticed the regular commuters around you?

No, of course I do not know "in fact". I knew who rode the bus because over years, you would see the riders and where they went. Just as they saw me go into my home. Have you never noticed the regular commuters around you?

Of course I have but to demonize people(in a suburb no less) for how they get around without knowing where they’re going and whether transit is even an option is a bit much.

Of course I have but to demonize people(in a suburb no less) for how they get around without knowing where they’re going and whether transit is even an option is a bit much.
That's a fair shake. It does not benefit anyone to demonize their neighbors for such things. The flip on that, however, is that Brooks Park is both in the future College Ave Walkshed and has 2 +1 bus lines (a round-about walk to the 95) and is also very close to the on ramp for 93 in the most congested section of highway in the state. The relief on that congestion has to come from people who are directly connected to the MBTA attracting them as riders. The "most efficient mode of transportation" (as you put it) for any individual is point to point and that is inefficient for the whole network. For me personally, I directed that anger at the 96 having poor evening rush and off-peak headways making it more of an ask for people to use it. But that's for the MBTA bus or GLX threads. Sorry to derail the thread.

Back