ACKS | 399 Binney Str. | East Cambridge

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah... That's what is happening in front of the Kendall Square Cinema.

Great redevelopment. Sorely needed. Coulda gone a bit taller though.

I don't mean to sound like everyone else and scream for taller buildings, but why only 4 stories on such a big plot? Considering the land constraints in the area, I figured it would go taller. It because of zoning? I see regular suburban-looking houses across the street.

Because maybe what they plan on housing inside the building doesn't need to be more than 4 stories? Or once you start getting taller the mechanics need to be more complex and expensive? It's probably cheaper to build out than up.

I don't mean to sound like everyone else and scream for taller buildings, but why only 4 stories on such a big plot? Considering the land constraints in the area, I figured it would go taller. It because of zoning? I see regular suburban-looking houses across the street.

The neighborhood only allows 35 feet of height within 100 feet of residential neighbors and 45 feet of height outside of that. On two occasions the previous owners of Old Kendall Square tried to build taller on this lot, and they were opposed by neighbors and shot down by the city on both attempts.

Because maybe what they plan on housing inside the building doesn't need to be more than 4 stories? Or once you start getting taller the mechanics need to be more complex and expensive? It's probably cheaper to build out than up.

Nope, it's the neighbors and the city. The economics of this site would definitely support building taller than 4 stories.

From 8/13:
VAIFGFI.jpg

0ybqkBW.jpg

That last shot really puts this project into perspective - thank you. Is the cimena open during this? That staging area appears to be right in front of their main entrance.

That last shot really puts this project into perspective - thank you. Is the cimena open during this? That staging area appears to be right in front of their main entrance.

It's open. You have to access it from the garage. It's pretty hard to tell though, even with the signage they put up. I wonder if the theater worked out a deal with the developer on payments to use their front walk and as compensation for any lost business.

That's what we want for our world class city.

Build as cheaply as possible.

Post edit: I just saw Jumbo's subsequent post and that makes total sense now.

The theater's closed at least through the weekend.

https://twitter.com/KendallCinema/status/902522585350590464

That's due to separate renovations:

The work, which began in April, came to a head as the theater located at 355 Binney St. had to temporarily close this past week for finishing touches. All the seats, carpet, tile and flooring were replaced, and a redesigned concession counter and new bar serving beer and wine are complete.
http://cambridge.wickedlocal.com/ne...re-cinema-undergoes-night-and-day-renovations

Back