ACKS | Alexander Center Kendall Sq. | 50 Binney | E Cambridge

GSA requires 400,000 gsf for Volpe. And 500 Kendall doesn't have enough setback from the street.

GSA requires 400,000 gsf for Volpe. And 500 Kendall doesn't have enough setback from the street.

Stel -- good observations -- I guess I didn't have enough coffee this morning :)

However, since that area around 500 Kendall is essentially isolated from all major traffic the street could be turned into a pedestrian way and a WGBH, Draper, or Google-type connected annex of 50 to 60 ksqft could be built across the street

I drove by this today and noticed a ton of steel in the dug-out holes for both buildings. Looks like these 2 will be the next projects to rise above ground. Worthy of pics if anybody is in the area.

Long profile of Alexandria in the Globe.
From the map, they have one site to be developed, 100 Binney, -- unless they buy more land.
According this map they also control/own 161 First which I believe is going to be an 8 story residential building.

Alexander Mega Lab

I believe that is not 161 First, but the lot behind it. From the West, there is the Mormon Church, then open space with some trees and a parking lot that is inaccessible from Binney, then 161 First, a not particularly "deep" building on the east end. That lot looks to be the parking lot. Furthermore, when Alexandria closed the parking lot that is becoming ACKS, they redirected cars to the lot between the church and 161 First. So I think that's it.

curcuas. A little right and a little wrong.
I got my information from the City of Cambridge Community Development Log of May 2012 which grants a special permit for Binney Street Dev- 161 First Street, 150,00 sqft, 150 unit, Alexandria Real Estate, Residential.
Alexandria controls both 161 and the lot between it and the church. This is probably why they are allowing the displaced 50 Binney parkers access.
It looks like 161 First will be part of building site 6 and the official front door.
This graphic may also help.

building site 6

Off topic, but does anyone know if Binney St is planned for redesign? It's such a weird, suburban-type roadway and just very unpleasant, dying for a redo... Im sure it will happen, but wondering if anything is in the works.

Interesting, thanks BeeLine.

Even if they redid Binney, it's not clear there's ever going to be much ground floor retail there. Sites 3 and 4 seem to be pure labs, as is the Biogen headquarters further west. It could be a nicer street, but there will be little reason to spend any time on it.

I knew this sounded familiar. I live right by the Alexandria Center in Manhattan. It's a very nice development and they have a fancy restaurant in there as well.

Took these at a red light. First one is out of the ground!

Interesting, thanks BeeLine.

Even if they redid Binney, it's not clear there's ever going to be much ground floor retail there. Sites 3 and 4 seem to be pure labs, as is the Biogen headquarters further west. It could be a nicer street, but there will be little reason to spend any time on it.

Here's hoping they get a little more street level activation on the south side of Binney, where they are allowed to build higher. I know when working on Biogen at 225, height restrictions limited anything other than Biogen space, well besides the employee only cafeteria on level one, that I'm sure could have been opened to the public like so many other cafeterias have been.

Definitely need more than just that sandwich shop at the corner of Binney and 6th. Does very good business anyways.

I work next door and walk by every day. Time for regular photos!

IMG_6384_zpsrhnvvlgt.jpg

IMG_6386_zpst0qdyjw9.jpg

IMG_6385_zpsmsqztlri.jpg

IMG_6387_zpswlw2ha0t.jpg

IMG_6388_zpsojpfts0x.jpg

Good to see that Cranes continue to nest in Cambridge -- love to see the young ones when they first sprout

Back