Air Rights (writ-large) Thread

Digital_Islandboy

Reaction score
BRA's running a listening session on decking over three of the nasty on-ramp parcels left on the Greenway. From the article linked below it sounds like there is no decision yet as to what goes on the deck.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/...ublic-hearing-for-greenway-ramp-parcel-study/

Thursday, 6PM @ City Hall
I wonder how they will get that done? These sections run from street level down into the series of big dig tunnels. Therefore wouldn't that require at least buildings of two or more stories on the Rose Kennedy Greenway to cover these areas? Perhaps something like how Copley Mall covers the exit ramps of the Mass Turnpike?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.348...4!1sO1IEHmehSDcxcWmHVhYt3A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Personally, it would be nice if they could get that ugly spaghetti tangle of the Southeast Expressway/MassTurnpike tangle. decked. That would be a great spot to have the Rose Kennedy Greenway extended on towards Mass. Ave.

Last edited:

FK4

Reaction score
I wonder how they will get that done? These sections run from street level down into the series of big dig tunnels. Therefore wouldn't that require at least buildings of two or more stories on the Rose Kennedy Greenway to cover these areas? Perhaps something like how Copley Mall covers the exit ramps of the Mass Turnpike?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.348...4!1sO1IEHmehSDcxcWmHVhYt3A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Personally, it would be nice if they could get that ugly spaghetti tangle of the Southeast Expressway/MassTurnpike tangle. decked. That would be a great spot to have the Rose Kennedy Greenway extended on towards Mass. Ave.
That won't ever happen, way too expensive.

The worst parcel that also is unlikely to ever get covered up is the one right by haymarket with the signs for both the airport tunnel and 93

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
That won't ever happen, way too expensive.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with FK4 on this. There has been some interesting early planning for covering the entire 1-93/1-90 interchange area (Chinatown Gateway Study, in 2006; South Bay Planning Study, 2012); including extending the Greenway south, but the cost is really insane.

We cannot even mobilize development on the DOT parcels (parcels 25, 26, 27, 28) that are mostly land, and abut Kneeland Street, because the limited decking is cost prohibitive.

Basically, don't expect to see this area developed unless the City or State cough up the funds to turn "air rights" into decked "land".

bobthebuilder

Reaction score
Was going to post this in the Mass pike parcels 12 -15 thread, but thought it fit better here. Just came across some videos of the first couple of sections of the Rockerfeller University's East River campus being set in place over the FDR and thought folks here might find them interesting.

Module 1
Module 2
Module 3

Animation of the full project

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
Amtrak and NYC freshly unveil Sunnyside Yard Air Rights master plan:

While I fully expect NYC local-grift cost premiums and local vs. state vs. fed turf warrage to imperil this one before it ever gains traction...but bygawd! what a breathtaking presentation they put out. :love:

The mission statement alone is tighter-wrapped around its core values than anything Boston's moribund planning agencies have ever tried to collaborate on for any of our critical air rights parcels. Reading this makes it eleventy times sadder that the big players @ B24 thought even momentarily that they had a prayer in hell of getting an Olympic Stadium erected on the Widett Circle 'bowl' through hand-waving of bland platitudes and moving goalposts to try to goad a lead developer into somehow absorbing all the risk. Sure, we citizens knew better even when they didn't. But Step 1 to breaking out of all these decades of insufferable planning brainlock is to at least start talking an immaculate game about strength-of-mission overpowering the logistical hurdles, and the broad-based coordination required to get it done. Which NY does here bullseyeing formation of a governance board as first step, and dumping their info motherlode up-front on what can and can't be built where and how high for how much $$$ over what part of the property (you know...instead of letting the developers go 10 renders deep slowly whittling-down their creations from complications revealed after the fact, until they inevitably give up in abject frustration).

We've got an enormously long fucking ways to go if stuff like this Sunnyside salvo is what sets the bar for an honest attempt at thinking big in hopes of acting big.

Last edited by a moderator:

The EGE

Reaction score
What stuck out to me was the intentional use of small blocks, under the understanding that it creates a more neighborhood-like feel. Compare that to the Beacon Park plans, with their huge blocks and grotesquely wide speedway streets.