Alexandra Hotel Renovation | 1769 Washington St | Roxbury

Re: Alexandra Hotel

Ouch, heavy rail replaced with a BRT stop? I would demolish my building, too, if that were the case.

Incorporate bricks into a new design "in a playful way"? My head hurts at the shit these idiots come up with.

Unfortunately, the elevated heavy rail is part of why this block (and others on Washington) became blighted in the first place.

The daffy amount of non-market rate housing vesus market rate focused from Mass. Ave south towards Jim Rice Field isn't helping either.

Ouch, heavy rail replaced with a BRT stop? I would demolish my building, too, if that were the case.

That's not a BRT stop. It's a stop for a rebranded slow, unreliable and over capacity bus line (with almost useless shelters). There is no BRT in the South End. I live on E. Brookline St and usually opt to walk to Tremont St for the #43 bus to get downtown because it is more reliable and much quicker.

It's too popular, nobody rides it.

It's too popular, nobody rides it.

It's overcapacity during rush hour. Outside that time frame, no one really bothers waiting for it in the 600k shelterless shelters.

IMG01952-20111006-1654.jpg

IMG01890-20111006-1603.jpg

Walked by the Alexander yesterday and noticed the "Church Of Scientology" sign has been removed. Have they given up on a HQ move? The beauty supply store seems to be the only active tenant.

The pissing contest between CoS & NoI over who has the cooler aliens will make this headquarters relocation entertaining.

It's finally up for sale. Perhaps this thread should be moved to "New development" considering that any buyer will likely need to put in a quite hefty renovation effort.

That is, unless they tear it down and up a parking lot.

Still not sold, neighbors are asking for an eminent domain taking:

Ct7zAAlW8AIIEHB.jpg

Wish that they would use eminent domain for derelict and abandoned buildings where the building owner either can't or won't do anything with the building, but they don't seem to use it these days. Although with the Christian Scientists now owning the Alexandra, it would seem worthwhile to help incentivize them to sell or renovate the building and, hopefully, eminent domain wouldn't be needed. Does anyone know the last time a building was taken using eminent domain by the City?

I know that the state uses it for some land takings, mostly temporary (tying building entries, walks, driveways and such in to roadway/sewer projects and such) but apparently also permanent ones as well (my only experience is with a Causeway Street redesign from about 2012 when the BTD looked at taking less than 10sqft from an abutter).

Scientologists, not Christian Scientists

My sincere apologies to any and all scientists for my unbelievably boneheaded writing. It was truly unfair, and never my intention, to compare scientists to those who follow the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy and L. Ron Hubbard.

My sincere apologies to any and all scientists for my unbelievably boneheaded writing. It was truly unfair, and never my intention, to compare scientists to those who follow the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy and L. Ron Hubbard.

uh, Mary Baker Eddy is Christian Science.

L. Ron Hubbard is Scientology, which owns the building.

Two separate organizations with very different beliefs, both nonconventional and sometimes accused of being abusive to children.

uh, Mary Baker Eddy is Christian Science.

L. Ron Hubbard is Scientology, which owns the building.

Two separate organizations with very different beliefs, both nonconventional and sometimes accused of being abusive to children.

Well, I do my best to stay far away from both. Apologies if you were offended by me lumping them as one and the same; but I refuse to learn enough about either to differentiate.

Back