Alexandra Hotel Renovation | 1769 Washington St | Roxbury

Re: Alexandra Hotel

Trying to broaden the discussion. I have been watching guys re-everything at 12 Newbury St for well over 2 years. I mean re-everything. This is the building that is next to the used to be parking lot that is now a Chanel store and luxury residences.

When I tell you that this rehab has been a struggle... By the time 12 Newbury is done, the Millennium Tower will be just about finished.

The reason I relate this is that the Alexandra Hotel is such an expensive redo that NOBODY can figure it out. I think that everybody just needs to take a mulligan on this one, bulldoze the shit out out it, put a sign up to remember its history, and then move on.

It is time to MOVE ON.

p.s I would take an urban garden/swap meet over that shit. Tear it down.

When I tell you that this rehab has been a struggle... By the time 12 Newbury is done, the Millennium Tower will be just about finished.

Millennium Tower (1 Franklin St.) opened for residents several months ago; it's been totally complete for some time.

Maybe you meant their Winthrop Sq. tower proposal?

No one could figure out what to do with the West End either....

I'm shocked that this building has stayed vacant for so long. It looks like something out of downtown Detroit. The South End is too gentrified to have blight like this.

^ Yes and no, that corner is a little rough. It'll be rough even when its rehabbed

I would encourage anyone who doubts the feasibility of this type of rehab to have a look at what is happening with the Divine Lorraine in Philadelphia.

No deal from either of the two interested buyers:

“The buyers for the Alexandra Hotel have withdrawn their bids,” he said. “The two bidders that were interested in the property had talks break down with the Church of Scientology…We have yet to hear final notice from the Church or final notice from the prospective buyers. Apparently the issue is over money on the part of the Church. (We understand) the market value of the property is substantially less than what they’re asking.”

http://thebostonsun.com/2017/05/05/...s-week-after-promising-talks-with-two-buyers/

The next hope the article describes is to use the review process for the new Scientology HQ in Allston as leverage to force a sale.

I would hope this structure could be saved, but the article referring to it as a "50 year eye-sore" makes me think the prospects are dimmer than they should be.

in the warped world of Boston development, every project must fail for 10 years to receive adjudication.

This building was going to be redeveloped in the '80s when I was at Northeastern. It may be easier to just demo it and start over after decades of failed redevelopment.

Easier? Of course. It's always easier.

Better? Given the quality of modern developments in this city, I've have very little hope.

Since the alternative doesn't seem to be a redeveloped building (since its been ~50 years) a new building would be better than the current eyesore. I'm talking reality, not fantasy where a redeveloped building would be beautiful. No developers are putting up any money for it.

Since the alternative doesn't seem to be a redeveloped building (since its been ~50 years) a new building would be better than the current eyesore. I'm talking reality, not fantasy where a redeveloped building would be beautiful. No developers are putting up any money for it.

No, multiple developers are putting up money for it. The Church of Scientology just isn't accepting their offers.

The property is currently held up because of disagreement over the value of the building (and land) in its current state. This has nothing to do with the question of refurbishment vs redevelopment.

The property is currently held up because of disagreement over the value of the building (and land) in its current state. This has nothing to do with the question of refurbishment vs redevelopment.

I would argue it very much does have to do with that question. Redevelopment probably has a higher return and would value the land at a greater price. Refurbishment would be costly and have limited returns, making the site much less valuable. Based on previous efforts, the city and the South End Landmarks Commission will want the building to stay, limiting the value of the site.

The difference is opinions of value is probably highly tied to differences in opinion on whether the city would allow the current structure to be demolished.

I would argue it very much does have to do with that question. Redevelopment probably has a higher return and would value the land at a greater price. Refurbishment would be costly and have limited returns, making the site much less valuable. Based on previous efforts, the city and the South End Landmarks Commission will want the building to stay, limiting the value of the site.

The difference is opinions of value is probably highly tied to differences in opinion on whether the city would allow the current structure to be demolished.

That would imply that the current offers are less than what they would be if the site were vacant land. I find that hard to believe.

That would imply that the current offers are less than what they would be if the site were vacant land. I find that hard to believe.

And yet the property is still vacant and decrepit.

Back