Alexandra Hotel Renovation | 1769 Washington St | Roxbury

So this is when the bad news happens right? The community bitches so they knock like 3 floors off as a concession and now they cant make as much profit so the facade changes to something shitty. The aspect ratio is nice how it is, I really hope they dont turn it into a stump. Please let this thing stay as is.. imagine a 1 waterside place rising above the mass ave brownstones of the south end. This cant happen here right?

I dunno. I suggested the Harriet Tubman House site up the street should be around the height proposed here, and there were even people on this board throwing fits.

Wait why is it undergoing review if the switch to condos was approved?

TEGRZPKWVO6ZLDNCGXDHZUDZ6Y.jpg

Photo credit, Boston Globe.

$8.2 million to restore the facade.

Alexandra Partners LLC, the latest team vying to revive it, has just cleared its final hurdle in a labyrinthine development-review process.

They can now move forward with the project — starting construction drawings, seeking financing — with the goal of beginning construction next summer, said Jas Bhogal, one of the developers.

One more photo from the Globe
NMPU4EW5TJZTC5ILXIZC3NMR3I.jpg

Looks like the developers are giving up, and selling the 'approval' equity.

Presenting The Alexandra, a former luxury hotel primed for redevelopment in Boston’s thriving South End neighborhood. The Alexandra is a once in a lifetime opportunity to develop a legacy project that will bring notoriety to the developer. It is a piece of Boston’s history and is highly anticipated by the neighborhood. The property is situated on a prominent, highly trafficked street corner and features Ruskinian Neogothic style with a richly patterned sandstone façade, strong window lines. The Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA) and South End Landmarks District Commission has approved the redevelopment of The Alexandra from a five story building to a thirteen story, 70-unit condominium project with a gym, bike storage, rooftop terrace with adjoining amenity room, and ground floor retail.

Could someone explain how an approved project like this falls through? I find it mind boggling that at today's prices you couldn't more or less make the math work out for any residential project in downtown Boston.

Because it's not Downtown Boston--it's the South End. Moreover, it ain't the swank, Beehive/Cyclorama area South End, either; this is the BMC/Mass & Cass part of the South End (the BMC, in particular, is less than 1,000 feet from here).

Perhaps you've seen some headlines of late describing the sociological conditions around Mass & Cass?

;)

Because it's not Downtown Boston--it's the South End. Moreover, it ain't the swank, Beehive/Cyclorama area South End, either; this is the BMC/Mass & Cass part of the South End (the BMC, in particular, is less than 1,000 feet from here).

Perhaps you've seen some headlines of late describing the sociological conditions around Mass & Cass?

;)

Not even the South End, it's Roxbury. I'd imagine if the green line was actually extended down Washington St, instead of the Silver Line, though, that this would have been done years ago. I would argue, though, that it isn't quite on Methadone Mile, so not sure how much that proximity effects things.

Could someone explain how an approved project like this falls through? I find it mind boggling that at today's prices you couldn't more or less make the math work out for any residential project in downtown Boston.
Capital costs are higher, construction workers are more scarce, it's not so much that they wouldn't be able to fill the building, if built, as much as that they can't build it without less expensive resource inputs.

Not even the South End, it's Roxbury. I'd imagine if the green line was actually extended down Washington St, instead of the Silver Line, though, that this would have been done years ago. I would argue, though, that it isn't quite on Methadone Mile, so not sure how much that proximity effects things.
Unfortunately, it's close enough. I sometimes work in a building a few blocks from that corner, and it is very common to come across junkies and pan handlers right outside the lobby doors. I have a greater comfort level around such folks than most, but it can sometimes be a bit unnerving.

Not sure why this distinction between Roxbury and South end needs to be made here. Its about what? 40ft across the street to the south end? A bunch of realtors and others would 100% call this the south end up to melnea anway. Unnecessary either way

Not sure why this distinction between Roxbury and South end needs to be made here. Its about what? 40ft across the street to the south end? A bunch of realtors and others would 100% call this the south end up to melnea anway. Unnecessary either way

Cause I find the erosion of Roxbury interesting. As gentrification pushes South, the South End magically grows, and Roxbury magically shrinks. Same with Savin Hill: I've seen real estate agents push that all the way out to Upham's corner.

So, yeah, Roxbury ends at Mass Ave, and the South End starts on the other side.

It's interesting. The formal name of this hotel is the RESIDENCE INN BOSTON DOWNTOWN/SOUTH END

However, they do have this description:
FEEL RIGHT AT HOME WHEN YOU STAY AT OUR HOTEL IN ROXBURY, MA

Confusing? Anyway...............concerning this Alexandra Hotel development, do you remember when the Ritz Carlton built on the edge of the Combat Zone? I don't see why this development would be any different. It could really help to clean up the area. I wouldn't think it would be huge risk to build high-end condos here.

Back