Alfond Foundation $500 Million gift to multiple Maine entities

The big announcement is supposed to be tomorrow. Can't wait to see what they come up with for new or major improvements to existing facilities.
Tune in to GoBlackBears.com at 9 am on Feb. 17 and follow Black Bears on all of their social media channels for full coverage of the unveiling of the Athletics Facilities Master Plan.

Everything looks like an improvement except Alfond Arena. I was hoping for a new roof that does not negativly affect the sight lines and reconfigured the upper seating so there is a concourse going around the entire arena.

When conference realignment shakes down again in 4-5 years they will be in good shape to move to a stronger conference- A-10, Conference USA, CAA, etc. I would not be surprised if UNH now feels pressure to update their athletic facilities although their football stadium was recently renovated.

Besides, how many 400m tracks are there in the world, let alone the U.S.? Heck, even a 300m track probably makes it the longest track in New England, indoors or outdoors.
My mistake. I was thinking 400m was the standard "track around the football field" size.

My mistake. I was thinking 400m was the standard "track around the football field" size.

Actually, I think you're right. I did some digging, and most of those are a 1/4 mile track, or about 440 yards/400 metres. What I looked at yesterday must have been for indoor tracks.

Actually, I think you're right. I did some digging, and most of those are a 1/4 mile track, or about 440 yards/400 metres. What I looked at yesterday must have been for indoor tracks.
I find it interesting that UMaine will not have an outdoor track. Yes 400 meter is the standard for an outdoor track for both Highschool and College. But for indoor 300 meter is not common but highly desired as it useful for time trials regarding indoor track.

I find it interesting that UMaine will not have an outdoor track. Yes 400 meter is the standard for an outdoor track for both Highschool and College. But for indoor 300 meter is not common but highly desired as it useful for time trials regarding indoor track.
A D1 University (or really, any university) without a 400m outdoor track is highly irregular. Everybody has a 400m outdoor track and most large universities also have 200m indoor track(s). Some schools also indoor tracks longer than 200m (typically around 300m), but that's pretty rare. I know of no other program in the country that doesn't have a full-size 400m track outdoors.

This Press Herald article tries to spin it as a positive due to UMaine's weather:
While the project does not include plans for an outdoor track, Ralph said the new 300-meter track in the Speed Dome will provide a unique opportunity for track athletes at the university and the state. Besides, he said, the team is usually unable to practice now, or hold meets, on its outdoor track at Alfond Stadium because of weather issues.

“This will be a better facility than an outdoor track,” he said. “It allows us to engage the community at a higher level. … It will be very unique to Maine and a way for us to stand out.”

But honestly I wonder if this is one more step down the path that so many colleges are following of cutting their men's Track and Field programs. With no track, it seems like this could affect the women's program as well. I suppose in a pinch they could go over to Orono High School, which does have a 400m track.

Being a numbers guy, I am curious how large the new basketball arena will be. I do see some wasted space behind the baseline/basket near the football end zone. Guessing 3,500 at the most. Again my concern is this facilities may be inferior if they move conferences in the next 10 years. Football did pigeon hole themselves with putting a throwing and events area for track back of the open end zone. I would love to see them host BC or UConn in the next 5 years in football or basketball.

Being a numbers guy, I am curious how large the new basketball arena will be. I do see some wasted space behind the baseline/basket near the football end zone. Guessing 3,500 at the most. Again my concern is this facilities may be inferior if they move conferences in the next 10 years. Football did pigeon hole themselves with putting a throwing and events area for track back of the open end zone. I would love to see them host BC or UConn in the next 5 years in football or basketball.

They said 3,000 capacity during the presentation, but that was unclear if that was basketball capacity or full arena capacity when set up for concerts/ceremonies/etc.

They said 3,000 capacity during the presentation, but that was unclear if that was basketball capacity or full arena capacity when set up for concerts/ceremonies/etc.
The 3,000 would be seating capacity. The Women's team draws very well as they are almost always 1st or 2nd in their league (currently they have a 15-2 record) and often make the NCAA tournament. Back in the day in the Cindy Blodgett era they used to sell out the Alfond Arena which was 5,000+.
What I don't understand looking at the rendering of the new Arena is that there don't appear to be any luxury boxes. I am quite certain donors and alumni who financially support the hoops programs will most likely want to sit in a luxury box instead of the with the general public and students.

What I don't understand looking at the rendering of the new Arena is that there don't appear to be any luxury boxes. I am quite certain donors and alumni who financially support the hoops programs will most likely want to sit in a luxury box instead of the with the general public and students.

These empty seats here seem to hint that there are boxes on the upper level of the south side of the arena. Given the configuration of the building and adjacent "Multi-Purpose Center" noted on the master plan, there may be room for boxes on the upper level of the west side of the arena, too (from the vantage point of the picture below and to the left of it).

New arena 2.png

I like the plan overall. I'd like to see the hoops facility at 4K rather than 3K. I'm not sure any D1 state university constructing a new on-campus basketball arena would go that small. I do like the pit-like effect of being above the action though.....could be a very intimidating place to play.

Vermont's new basketball facility is close if not the exact capacity as Patrick grmym- roughly 3200. But the new Tarrant center will have luxury boxes. I don't see how they could have a graduation here unless it is for one of the schools- nursing, engineering, Biology, ect.

Vermont's new basketball facility is close if not the exact capacity as Patrick grmym- roughly 3200. But the new Tarrant center will have luxury boxes. I don't see how they could have a graduation here unless it is for one of the schools- nursing, engineering, Biology, ect.
They said it would be for Graduate students ceremonies.

A D1 University (or really, any university) without a 400m outdoor track is highly irregular. Everybody has a 400m outdoor track and most large universities also have 200m indoor track(s). Some schools also indoor tracks longer than 200m (typically around 300m), but that's pretty rare. I know of no other program in the country that doesn't have a full-size 400m track outdoors.

This Press Herald article tries to spin it as a positive due to UMaine's weather:

But honestly I wonder if this is one more step down the path that so many colleges are following of cutting their men's Track and Field programs. With no track, it seems like this could affect the women's program as well. I suppose in a pinch they could go over to Orono High School, which does have a 400m track.

Yeah, most high school athletic programs have an outdoor 400m track, let alone universities. It would be hard to run a well-regarded track & field program without it. An indoor 300m facility seems like a compromise between building both a 400m outdoor track and a 200m indoor facility. I don't know enough about NCAA track & field regs to know if a 300m track can be used in competition or if the banks produce time results that aren't comparable with a 400m.

In the master plan, the area for field events is just north of the stadium. There is also additional property to the north of that and the new proposed softball field. Total speculation, but perhaps a new outdoor track is an un-disclosed option should the fundraising to close the $20M gap between the Alfond grant and proposed construction costs exceed expectations?

I would love to see them host BC or UConn in the next 5 years in football or basketball.
I can't imagine them hosting one of these at Alfond Stadium, even with the improvements; much more lucrative to go to Chestnut Hill or Adriaen's Landing where they'll sell 60,000 tickets. Just like I can't imagine the Black Bears ever trying to make the shift to FBS ball where they'll get their butts handed to them in a Group of Five conference.

The Speed Dome with the 300 meter indoor track has the blessing of the track coaches......at least that is what the AD said. I don't know much about track but this is supposed to be the only 300 meter indoor track in New England. The only time that I ever saw the outdoor track in use was local senior citizens using it for exercise.....they can go to Orono HS instead.

I recently read that the Morse family donated $10 million to the new UMaine-Orono basketball facility. I really dig the renderings of the Morse Arena, looks like a modern Pit, only unasked-for advice is to add some courtside seats and put some seating behind the basket. The sooner UMaine starts construction the better, as labor prices continue to rise. I wonder if LL Bean and Burt's Bees will get involved with specific sponsorship/naming rights? UMaine still has about $7 million to raise to reach its $20 million goal. The softball facility looks awesome. I know the athletic department at UVM and UNH are gnashing their teeth as their pockets are empty when "big donors" are called to assist in the facility arms race of NCAA sports.

only unasked-for advice is to add some courtside seats and put some seating behind the basket.
Only if they have suitable wheelchair seating elsewhere in the arena. One drawback to the Maine Celtics at the Expo (and a big reason I hoped that the Thompson's Point arena would happen) is that the wheelchair section is behind the club seating on the ends, so someone sitting there can't see the floor which is really an impediment to appreciating a basketball game.

Looks great Sean and the 3000 seat capacity is the perfect size for UMaine's basketball needs.

I would hope that with USM's growth in Portland, the sports programs could move here and grow at the Fitzpatrick Stadium and Expo area (and CIA with yet another renovation). Yes, that's money--mucho deniro. Since contemporary college students are not big on driving cars (they need to look at their phones), the Amtrak spine connecting Boston to Brunswick for sports purposes is an exciting one. Not the athletes as they travel by bus, but students and fans. By comfy and convenient train travel along this spine, it can be Boston College, B.U., Northeastern, Harvard, MIT, Tufts, UNH, UNE, USM, and Bowdoin. UMO is just too far north and disconnected for substantial growth.

Back