All these maps

jediot

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm mostly a lurk but I thought some of you might be interested in checking out my website/blog >>>> All these maps

Thanks!

Why does your name sound super familiar? Did you used to post a lot over at SkyScraper Guy?

Possibly before the first aB crash? I remember that name too.

I came around at the end of skyscraperguy, I've only posted like five times ever since then.

thanks van!

We have lots of Maps threads, but this one seemed the best for sharing random awesome maps, like this one of greater Boston from 1852 (it has the Middlesex Canal highlighted in grey) that I found at Wikimedia (click here for its homepage, click image to enlarge)

It comes at cool moment in history: the railroads are mostly laid out, but the Back Bay and South Bay and Airport aren't filled in. And a Railroad spur across what is now Harvard's Science campus? Who knew? Also Arlington is still West Cambridge, and Belmont is nowhere at all.

It's interesting how rural much of Somerville was. There were very few roads laid out in West Somerville and the population in 1850 was only 2,540. You can see the Fitchburg Railroad (present day Fitchburg Line) and lots of settlement near this, in present day Union, Wilson, and Porter Squares. Interestingly, this is before the Lexington and Arlington Railroad was built (present day Somerville Community Path), which contributed to the development of Davis Square. So, in this map, there was no Davis Square.

^ Lexington/Arlington line is on there, it just doesn't connect to the modern Lowell Line. It connects to the modern Fitchburg line near Fresh Pond. Really interesting to see how so many of the railroads, being privately owned, don't seem to interact or form a network.

Also, Wakefield is South Reading. I love old maps like this!

EDIT:

Jediot: I'm getting a broken link from your page. Is it just me?

^ Lexington/Arlington line is on there, it just doesn't connect to the modern Lowell Line. It connects to the modern Fitchburg line near Fresh Pond. Really interesting to see how so many of the railroads, being privately owned, don't seem to interact or form a network.

Also, Wakefield is South Reading. I love old maps like this!

EDIT:

Jediot: I'm getting a broken link from your page. Is it just me?

The post is from 2011. ;-P

^ Lexington/Arlington line is on there, it just doesn't connect to the modern Lowell Line. It connects to the modern Fitchburg line near Fresh Pond.

Correct! I was referring to the Somerville section that opened later in the 19th century.

Back