Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

What was the point of taking off 30 units? 25,000sqft of office too?

Dude, there is no point! It's the same story everywhere in the city, name a proposed development, and it's the same story of no, using the same tired arguments. Only thing different about the nimbys are the faces, the faces change depending on location, but the arguments against remain the same.

C:mad:MMUNITY: we DEMAND more affordable housing and we DEMAND many more home ownership units!
C:mad:MMUNITY: we DEMAND much lower density, we DEMAND much lower building heights, and we DEMAND much more open space!
C:mad:MMUNITY: we DEMAND the open space be deeded to the city in perpetuity so it can NEVER be developed and we DEMAND the developers pay all operating, maintenance, and programming costs of the open space in perpetuity!
you do it so much better than i could ever hope to.

Even the faces don't change much....they're old and white. It's remarkable how public meetings in Dudley Sq look like ones in JP, Brighton, and Back Bay
There's a reason for that demographic -- its called ownership
A lot of the "new Bostonians" are renters

I'm no fan of Knee-jerk NIMBYism -- but sometime its fairly easy to understand how it comes about -- particularly in the midst of, or on the edge of "traditional residential neighborhoods" [aka single family or 3deckers]
If you rent and someone proposes to build something which you consider offensive nearby -- you can just pick-up and move-on
On the other hand if you own the property next to what you consider an nuisance [e.g. service station] but one which you've come to accept -- and someone proposes to knock it down and put up a multifamily structure of significantly larger scale -- and in particular if your property has been in your family for some many years [that was Gramps' house] -- you just might find a greater reason to make your opposition clear

@whighlander you can make the same argument to justify YIMBYism. Somebody who owns property in a neighborhood that they think might benefit from more housing density at a time when developers are interested in building there can't so easily move if the NIMBYs successfully block construction. YIMBY home owners don't want to move, they want to improve their neighborhood.

- signed, a YIMBY homeowner

@whighlander you can make the same argument to justify YIMBYism. Somebody who owns property in a neighborhood that they think might benefit from more housing density at a time when developers are interested in building there can't so easily move if the NIMBYs successfully block construction. YIMBY home owners don't want to move, they want to improve their neighborhood.

- signed, a YIMBY homeowner
Henry -- I'd like to see a general provision to the Zoning Code:
  • for any residence with more than 2 stories [e.g. 3 Decker] it can be enhanced or replaced with a similar-scale building of up to 2 more floors without any special zoning required
  • for any commercial structure of 2 or more stories it can be replaced by a structure of commercial or residential or mixed use of up to 4 more stories without any special zoning required as long as ground floor retail use is retained

let owners be free to enhance their neighborhoods

Huge new project approved in Allston

ZRSNK2Q5C4I6VO6RAQBJG3DH2A.jpg

That is hot! The area is becoming a real beehive of activity.

Just across the Pike from the rightmost building there is a building that was built at the height of the dotcom boom as a datacenter for Global Crossing. It was never occupied, then sat empty and then 10 years later had huge "biotech lab" signs. On Google Maps streetview, it looks still vacant. Anyone know anything about it?

It was an old Casey & Hayes moving warehouse that was converted. I think Boston Skating Club had a proposal for that location at one time, but now it’s back to purgatory.

There was a proposal earlier this year to redevelop it, still in planning I believe.

Heres my post from the previous page containing the renders of the project:

It was an old Casey & Hayes moving warehouse that was converted. I think Boston Skating Club had a proposal for that location at one time, but now it’s back to purgatory.

It's owned by Harvard and they put out an RFP for a development partner on it.

Does anyone know if Stop & Shop has any official stance on the redevelopment of any of their other properties? Does any other supermarket chain in the city? I remember reading somewhere about the general potential of old supermarkets in urban areas that have them, surrounded by their parking lots and that some companies were starting to be "hip" to the idea. Another supermarket that is in a remarkably similar area is the Star Market in East Cambridge.

i can only think of this site: but it was completed some years ago.

I'd expect it gets redeveloped and moves back in with a different format. What other grocery stores serve Fenway?

Wasn't there a plan to put one in the Landmark Center? Or did that fall apart... I can't remember now.

And yes I would expect redev then put the grocery market back.

Back