Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

Thinking about it theres gotta be a HUGE amount of people that could be potential employees at offices here, being on the Framingham/Worcester line. Think about how Easy of a commute it is here for the couple million people here. Doing a quick drive to your closest CR station then taking a 30 minute train ride to your office steps away from the Boston Landing station is easier than my Red Line commute is now. They could throw up a hell of a lot of office space here, I hope they do.

Developer's website: https://nedevelopment.com/projects/allston-yards-0

1636487638612.png

1636487648960.png

1636487654431.png

1636487660065.png

1636487666919.png

Last edited:
They really are going with above ground parking garages? They need to talk to FRIT, who did a marginally better job at Assembly Square.

BPDA needs to push back against any developer proposing above ground parking in 2021 in Boston, but I don't have much faith in the BPDA doing that.

They really are going with above ground parking garages? They need to talk to FRIT, who did a marginally better job at Assembly Square.

I don't know about that - the Assembly Square parking decks are 6-story walls on Grand Union Boulevard. These will be much shorter, and completely shielded on the Guest Street side.

Worth noting that Boston Landing has a gigantic parking garage in it. This is a better approach than that.

The mega blocks, with the towers stuck on top of the parking decks like birthday candles, is hostile to pedestrian flow. In particular, the tender looking southwest over the Pike shows off the bulk of the building closest to Everett St. That block should be more porous and enable more chaotic pedestrian flow.

The mega blocks, with the towers stuck on top of the parking decks like birthday candles, is hostile to pedestrian flow. In particular, the tender looking southwest over the Pike shows off the bulk of the building closest to Everett St. That block should be more porous and enable more chaotic pedestrian flow.

Worth keeping in mind that the Everett St Bridge is not open underneath between Braintree St + what is today "Harvey Steel Rd", it's a not particularly attractive vertical wall/earthen mound that blocks any pedestrian flows E/W along the length of that building and will keep it feeling cut off from the neighborhood to the east.

I don't know that there was ever much potential for activating that side of the building very well or making it somewhere pedestrians were likely to stroll along much.

Construction of Building A, which comprises the apartment building and grocery store, is scheduled to commence this month. Construction of the office and life sciences building is slated to begin in the third quarter of 2022.

I'm interested in this, because the life sciences building is on the current Stop and Shop footprint, implying either a long period of prep work until the new store is done or a period when Stop and Shop will be closed. I had assumed they'd always keep a store open, and Building A obviously won't be done in 8 months.

The left half of the current building is the S&S. The right half is a Home Goods and something else which will become the footprint for the life science. So the right half of the current building will be demolished in 2022 leaving the S&S half standing until the new store is done.

Worth keeping in mind that the Everett St Bridge is not open underneath between Braintree St + what is today "Harvey Steel Rd", it's a not particularly attractive vertical wall/earthen mound that blocks any pedestrian flows E/W along the length of that building and will keep it feeling cut off from the neighborhood to the east.

I don't know that there was ever much potential for activating that side of the building very well or making it somewhere pedestrians were likely to stroll along much.
1637271396221.png

Oh, it's open.
Once upon a time, to dodge Union Square (All things Twin Donut) and the often sluggish North Beacon Street traffic, I Vasco de Gama'd that stretch from the Harvard Ave/Cambridge Street intersection down Franklin on to Braintree Street, looking for a trackside Ho Chi Minh Trail. I remember going under the Everett Street bridge, only to be slalomed, speed-bumped, compass-spun and befuddled by absolutely awful pedestrian and traffic design. Optimal for nobody - not even the trailer delivery guys.
It seems like when the original site planner asked if the owners if they wanted to build something contextual with the surrounding neighborhood, the owners said, "Nah. Screw that. Build it like a bad truck stop parking lot. It's not like anybody important lives there. Nobody actually uses public streets."
It's like the owners had met other humans, but they didn't understand what words were for.

Carchitecture bullshit. Can't wait to see this become something new.

View attachment 18978
Oh, it's open.
Once upon a time, to dodge Union Square (All things Twin Donut) and the often sluggish North Beacon Street traffic, I Vasco de Gama'd that stretch from the Harvard Ave/Cambridge Street intersection down Franklin on to Braintree Street, looking for a trackside Ho Chi Minh Trail. I remember going under the Everett Street bridge, only to be slalomed, speed-bumped, compass-spun and befuddled by absolutely awful pedestrian and traffic design. Optimal for nobody - not even the trailer delivery guys.
It seems like when the original site planner asked if the owners if they wanted to build something contextual with the surrounding neighborhood, the owners said, "Nah. Screw that. Build it like a bad truck stop parking lot. It's not like anybody important lives there. Nobody actually uses public streets."
It's like the owners had met other humans, but they didn't understand what words were for.

Carchitecture bullshit. Can't wait to see this become something new.

Filing away "carchitecture" and "vasco de gama'd" for future use lmao

This is one I'm really excited about. Getting rid of all of that surface parking is great. I do wish it wasn't just being replaced, but the MBTA here (other than commuter rail) is terrible. As far as I'm concerned, our public transit really holds Boston back.

I do wish it wasn't just being replaced, but the MBTA here (other than commuter rail) is terrible. As far as I'm concerned, our public transit really holds Boston back.

I don't disagree that our public transit needs to be drastically improved -- and quickly -- but go to literally any other major U.S. city and tell me the situation is better. Compared to European and Asian hubs we're sadly behind, but as far as American cities? Not so much.

Back