Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

It blows my mind that this thread was started over 5 years ago and we still have 0 buildings. Why does this stuff take so long?

It blows my mind that this thread was started over 5 years ago and we still have 0 buildings. Why does this stuff take so long?
Funny because I was just thinking that this is moving along pretty quickly. Just goes to show how fast time flies when you get to a certain age. Or how slow so many other projects progress comparatively.

That blank wall facing the CR platform is just crying out for an art installation of some kind...
It should be crying out for some mid-rent commercial spaces to fit the context more - like put the grab and go coffee shop facing the train station, and maybe some seats looking out at the train and highway hubub from behind some glass. I'd much rather look at that than a parking garage wall. And how about street safety? The kind where you feel seen from doorways (witnesses) instead of wondering what sort of ghoul is going to nab you from a parking garage on the way home from the train or the 66 bus.
I have sisters who say these things... and they make sense. Street level business occupation is way better than giant vent panels and garage doors. For many reasons.

I swear --- some of these designers are from the 'burbs and never walk anywhere.

C9D03AAD-CF45-4E20-921D-8E7F179B6452.jpeg

Well, when the developer wants giant loading docks for the labs and tons of parking people get pushed aside. It's depressing--the buildings are so large that they even struggle to have decent sidewalk sometimes.

It should be crying out for some mid-rent commercial spaces to fit the context more - like put the grab and go coffee shop facing the train station, and maybe some seats looking out at the train and highway hubub from behind some glass. I'd much rather look at that than a parking garage wall. And how about street safety? The kind where you feel seen from doorways (witnesses) instead of wondering what sort of ghoul is going to nab you from a parking garage on the way home from the train or the 66 bus.
I have sisters who say these things... and they make sense. Street level business occupation is way better than giant vent panels and garage doors. For many reasons.

I swear --- some of these designers are from the 'burbs and never walk anywhere.

My go-to rhyme: The abutters are nutters.
Neighborhood process drags things.
In this instance, the abutting MBTA, CSX, and MassDOT are slow moving beasts.
Finances can also be skittish based on the bipolar fragility of capitalism's whims.
Sadly, the need for speed is a non starter here.
Every modern building is a testament to tenacity.

based on what I understand of the site plans and my understanding of that station this shouldn’t be much of an issue. The station access points and ped/bike infrastructure should make it unnecessary to get too close the the garage entrance/exits.

Station Access/Egress: The East end of the platform is accessed via the Everett st. bridge which connects to the neighborhood via the Everett st./Guest st. intersection (where there is a grab ‘n’ go coffee shop in the renderings) and some structure attached to the 119 Braintree st. redevelopment. Both of those keep folks away from the garages. The other end of the platform exits near the Allston Yards/New Balance border which will have lots of open/active space.

Bike/Ped infrastructure: even if folks are walking/biking along Braintree St. between the buildings and the CR tracks, it looks like the only sidewalk will be across the street from the buildings’ utility entrances.

Back