Amazing shit other cities get that Boston doesn't

czsz

Reaction score
I'll start us off with this amazing bike parking facility slated to replace a real (car) parking lot in Philadelphia:

http://inhabitat.com/2010/05/27/philadelphia-parking-lot-transformed-into-cycling-oasis/

bikecenter-ed02.jpg

Pwns the shit out of the Filene's sheep farm.

The Philly idea is awesome, but:
Unfortunately, this was a totally hypothetical design competition and at this time there are not plans for this facility to be built ? but wouldn?t it be cool?

Still beats most of Boston's proposals (again: see Filene's sheep meadow)

Van: Thanks for reminding us all how much Boston needs more open space. Every city could use the light and air enjoyed by bucolic Detroit.

Still beats most of Boston's proposals (again: see Filene's sheep meadow)

Van: Thanks for reminding us all how much Boston needs more open space. Every city could use the light and air enjoyed by bucolic Detroit.

Here's an amazing concept that was actually built:

architecture_1.jpg

Part of this development was an extension of their world class mall:
3986627997_726e23137b.jpg

pb300272.jpg

Greenway, eat your heart out.

Last edited:
My bad, South Beach. Lincoln Road Mall didn't seem like a whole lot when I was there, but I may or may not have been in the "good" section. We went past an obsolete fountain, and a bunch of older stores, and a parking lot.

This, of course, makes it seem like a wonderland. Props to Herzog & de Meuron. Why don't developers in Boston ever hire world-class architects? Chiofaro, come on!

Aren't DC, Miami, and LA expanding their heavy rail systems?

My bad, South Beach. Lincoln Road Mall didn't seem like a whole lot when I was there, but I may or may not have been in the "good" section. We went past an obsolete fountain, and a bunch of older stores, and a parking lot.

This, of course, makes it seem like a wonderland. Props to Herzog & de Meuron. Why don't developers in Boston ever hire world-class architects? Chiofaro, come on!

It's one of the great urban spaces in America.

They've all been planing them for ages but so far no shovels have been in the ground.

Completely wrong.

Both Miami and DC are well under way.

DC:
133.jpg

PH2010052203433.jpg

Miami progress looks similar to the first DC photo.

Back