Amazing shit other cities get that Boston doesn't

15 CPW (the first image in the previous post) is beautiful on the outside. The inside is dependent on the tastes of its occupants.

From a real estate listing on curbed.com (yes, hotlinked):

2010_6_15bedold.jpg

web-358014.jpg

Reminds me very much of Le Corbusier's works. I Love it!

It's beautiful. Too bad it glorifies parking and makes driving in the city continue to seem sexy.

Imagine if the same architectural talent were put to work glamorizing Miami's mass transit system?

Miami, for those who don't already know, recently changed its entire zoning code to promote walkability, so it is actually on the cutting edge of pedestrian design, despite its history and reputation as a sprawling anti-urban center. The idea, however un-implementable it may seem, is to make Miami more like "Paris." The code is known as Miami 21, and its the first of its kind for a major American city. Buffalo and Denver have followed suit, as well as smaller new england cities, like Jamestown, Rhode Island. Again, some may already be familiar with this (and on a site like this I wouldn't doubt it if everyone was), but I thought it was interesting and relevant enough to share here.

It's beautiful. Too bad it glorifies parking and makes driving in the city continue to seem sexy.

Imagine if the same architectural talent were put to work glamorizing Miami's mass transit system?

You mean something like this?

5443097649_92b6709443_b.jpg

5443096101_1ff0d49aa2_b.jpg

Miami Central Station - MetroRail Connection (heavyrail expansion to airport)

mic_core.jpg

I'm probably wrong but I like Miami's elevated concrete tracks. They don't feel that obtrusive at ground level.

Is concrete stronger than metal? Why aren't they steel? They'd be thinner, no? Jesus.

Is concrete stronger than metal? Why aren't they steel? They'd be thinner, no? Jesus.

Because then you'd just have another Chicago El or even the ex-Boston El. I really like the concrete aesthetic they've established here.

"Concrete requires no additional fireproofing treatments to meet stringent fire codes, and performs well during both natural and manmade disasters. Because of concrete?s inherent heaviness, mass, and strength, buildings constructed with cast-in-place reinforced concrete can resist winds of more than 200 miles per hour and perform well even under the impact of flying debris."

Concrete vs. Steel: http://www.buildings.com/ArticleDetails/tabid/3321/ArticleID/2511/Default.aspx

"Concrete requires no additional fireproofing treatments to meet stringent fire codes, and performs well during both natural and manmade disasters. Because of concrete?s inherent heaviness, mass, and strength, buildings constructed with cast-in-place reinforced concrete can resist winds of more than 200 miles per hour and perform well even under the impact of flying debris."

Concrete vs. Steel: http://www.buildings.com/ArticleDetails/tabid/3321/ArticleID/2511/Default.aspx

Yep, which is perfect for Florida and the constant battering from hurricanes and severe t-storms.

Most of the tallest buildings in the world these days are concrete, instead of steel, according to CTBUH.org

I think it is a pretty cool looking idea. Some observations: the rendering aerial shows a central island in the middle of an urban area...how is it possible this hasn't already been developed? Is it brownfield development? Seems like it would already be thriving. Has anything been built or is it just a vision? I am sure it says somewhere on the link, but I thought you might know more.

Yes Patrick it's a brownfield redevelopment ... an underused industrial area north of downtown.

Because then you'd just have another Chicago El or even the ex-Boston El. I really like the concrete aesthetic they've established here.

I like it, too. It reminds me a lot of some of the soaring overpasses in L.A.'s freeway system. While I know we are supposed to oppose freeways, some of the interchanges there are really spectacular, and beautiful from a certain perspective.

...some of the interchanges there are really spectacular, and beautiful from a certain perspective.

Though he despised Los Angeles, John Lautner found the inspiration to investigate the sculptural possibilities of concrete so apparent in these swirling pieces of highway infrastructure.

Arguably, the best (built) example of his investigation is this astonishing home on a bluff north of Malibu.

lautne89.jpg
lautne173.jpg

Lautner's unbuilt Townsend residence used asymmetrical wishbone-shaped pilotis to support intersecting kidney-shaped floor plates in a split-level configuration. The model of the structural system was one of the most interesting parts of the 2008 retrospective of his work.

What the Seaport Could Have Been, Part XXXVII...

Canal_Village_Copenhagen.jpg

New waterfront housing, Copenhagen

Not amazing, but it would be if it could be built here...

Back