Amazon HQ2 RFP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relevancy:

How Bezos' personal political ideals fit or clash with the politics of certain states is absolutely going to play a part in this decision. Whether or not that outweighs other factors is unknown, but it is a factor and therefore relevant to the discussion.

The way you personally feel about immigration, gender equity, etc. will not play any part in the decision and therefore is not relevant to the discussion.

I get what people mean when talking about politics & Bezos, but anyone who's using that as an argument against Austin is insane. If anything, it's an argument for Austin because it's a liberal oasis of sorts and, along with already existing massive Google & Apple presences, moving more young tech-minded professionals into the area would only mean good things for liberals and their political power in Texas, the flagship conservative state of the US.

I get what people mean when talking about politics & Bezos, but anyone who's using that as an argument against Austin is insane. If anything, it's an argument for Austin because it's a liberal oasis of sorts and, along with already existing massive Google & Apple presences, moving more young tech-minded professionals into the area would only mean good things for liberals and their political power in Texas, the flagship conservative state of the US.

The End of Local Laws? War on Cities Intensifies in Texas
Gov. Greg Abbott, an outspoken critic of federal overreach, recently suggested that his state should adopt a "ban across the board" on local regulations.

...But in Texas, Abbott now suggests that instead of spending time and money battling these issues individually, the state should issue a “ban across the board” on municipal regulations.

“One strategy would be for the state of Texas to take a ‘rifle shot after rifle shot after rifle shot’ approach to try to override all these local regulations,” Abbott explained to the conservative audience last month. “I think it would be far simpler, and frankly easier for those of you who have to run your lives and your businesses on a daily basis, if the state of Texas adopted an overriding policy to create certain standards that must be met.”

The governor’s objection to local ordinances is personal and philosophical -- and to some, contradictory.

Abbott was upset when the city of Austin, where he lives, wouldn't let him cut down a pecan tree in his yard without planting several additional trees. Austin is one of 50 Texas cities that regulates the chopping down of old-growth trees.

“I saw firsthand how my own private property rights were being mowed down by these regulations,” Abbott said at the event last month.
http://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-texas-abbott-preemption.html

^^^ For info about the source, see:
http://www.governing.com/about

Globe; Vote is near on tax breaks for Amazon’s big expansion in Seaport...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...-for-amazon/jySnL1ovqMv6YZoqXB8usM/story.html

I rather give my tax dollars to chiofaro/Pru development to knock down harbor garage to make a better Aquarium, Greenway and Waterfront for the overall public to enjoy.

Amazon does not need a break--

The taxpayers should be able to vote for these types of dealings now and have the companies present what their project merits--- for the reason for these tax shelters or breaks especially on priceless prime property.

Last edited:
I rather give my tax dollars to chiofaro/Pru development to knock down harbor garage to make a better Aquarium, Greenway and Waterfront for the overall public to enjoy.

Amazon does not need a break--

The taxpayers should be able to vote for these types of dealings now and have the companies present what their project merits--- for the reason for these tax shelters or breaks especially on priceless prime property.

Are you giving your tax dollars to Amazon in a situation like this? Or are they just not paying $5 million in corporate taxes? The average salary at Amazon is $100,044 (including warehouse workers, who wouldn't be in this office) and Boston's income tax is 5.1%. In one year, the income tax on 2,000 jobs would be $10,200,000, more than doubling the tax break they would have gotten for bringing those jobs into the city. Is there something I'm missing here? I really don't understand why there should be anyone complaining about a tax break like this.

Are you giving your tax dollars to Amazon in a situation like this? Or are they just not paying $5 million in corporate taxes? The average salary at Amazon is $100,044 (including warehouse workers, who wouldn't be in this office) and Boston's income tax is 5.1%. In one year, the income tax would be $10,200,000, more than doubling the tax break they would have gotten for bringing those jobs into the city. Is there something I'm missing here? I really don't understand why there should be anyone complaining about a tax break like this.

What your missing is the more tax breaks they give these corporations on prime property drives up my real estate costs along with city & state real estate tax's.
Medford real estate tax is growing at 7% a year the last 3 years. Not sure who's salary grows that fast. Can't even get a savings account interest rate for that.

That is what your missing. That is why property is so goddam expensive in and around Boston. All these tax breaks and incentives for corporations to drive up the overall costs in housing for the working class.

I could careless if Amazon comes to Boston. We don't need them. We need to build better infrastructure not give Bezo's and his billion dollar empire prime property benefits.

If a project has merit then I would say give the tax breaks. Chiofaro/Prudential don't have to knock down harbor garage they could let that sit for 100years because the garage is a revenue machine. That is the merit for that project receiving tax breaks to benefit the overall public with the Greenway, Aquarium and Waterfront all connected.

Please tell me Amazon's locating in the Seaport?

What your missing is the more tax breaks they give these corporations on prime property drives up my real estate costs along with city & state real estate tax's.

Medford real estate tax is growing at 7% a year the last 3 years.

That is what your missing. That is why property is so goddam expensive in and around Boston. All these tax breaks and incentives for corporations to drive up the overall costs in housing for the working class.

A corporate tax break in Boston is driving up real estate tax in Medford? If you don't mind my asking, how does that work exactly? How would a corporate tax break in one municipality directly drive up the real estate tax in another?

Medford real estate tax is growing at 7% a year the last 3 years. Not sure who's salary grows that fast. Can't even get a savings account interest rate for that.

I could careless if Amazon comes to Boston. We don't need them. We need to build better infrastructure not give Bezo's and his billion dollar empire prime property benefits.

If a project has merit then I would say give the tax breaks. Chiofaro/Prudential don't have to knock down harbor garage they could let that sit for 100years because the garage is a revenue machine. That is the merit for that project receiving tax breaks to benefit the overall public with the Greenway, Aquarium and Waterfront all connected.

Please tell me Amazon's locating in the Seaport?

Alright, you edited your post since I responded...so you just don't want any more jobs coming to the city. Is that it?

Are you giving your tax dollars to Amazon in a situation like this? Or are they just not paying $5 million in corporate taxes? The average salary at Amazon is $100,044 (including warehouse workers, who wouldn't be in this office) and Boston's income tax is 5.1%. In one year, the income tax on 2,000 jobs would be $10,200,000, more than doubling the tax break they would have gotten for bringing those jobs into the city. Is there something I'm missing here? I really don't understand why there should be anyone complaining about a tax break like this.

Although I agree with you in spirit, Boston doesn't have an income tax.

Income tax goes to the state, not Boston. So they'd be using local public services without paying into the system via property taxes. Overall for MA it'd be a net positive, but unless Boston gets some sort of benefit from the state it'd be a net loss for them.

Whoops, I had googled "Boston City Income Tax Rate" and missed the fact that it had returned Mass Income Tax rate...my mistake!

Income tax goes to the state, not Boston. So they'd be using local public services without paying into the system via property taxes. Overall for MA it'd be a net positive, but unless Boston gets some sort of benefit from the state it'd be a net loss for them.

Would it be a net loss? I'm really curious. Because obviously Boston as a whole would get some benefit from the income tax since it's located in Massachusetts, but also wouldn't local businesses thrive a bit more due to the additional workers who are spending money, plus workers would buy property and pay taxes on that, etc.?

Why are we giving tax breaks to these corporations to swindle prime property which the taxpayers have invested billions in the Seaport infrastructure.
Amazon
GE
Millennium group
Liberty Mutual
JPM
Vertex (Lowered the developer's overall costs)

These are BILLION dollar corporations.

This was Boston's Prime real estate based on the Big Dig and we gave it to these corporate hacks.

Why are we giving tax breaks to these corporations to swindle prime property which the taxpayers have invested billions in the Seaport infrastructure.
Amazon
GE
Millennium group
Liberty Mutual
JPM
Vertex (Lowered the developer's overall costs)

These are BILLION dollar corporations.

My guess would be jobs? It doesn't seem like any location gets a major corporate transplant these days without offering some of tax break.

My guess would be jobs? It doesn't seem like any location gets a major corporate transplant these days without offering some of tax break.

Then you can give all the businesses' in Boston tax breaks because they can create jobs also.

Why not lower real estate tax's for all property owners in Boston?

This is the problem with these leaders. They favor the corporate powerhouses that help them get elected but don't represent the actually working class people.

Residential property has higher municipal costs (schools, libraries, other government services) then commercial property.

That's why towns and cities with a large concentration of commercial properties tend to have lower taxes then surrounding cities/towns.

Then you can give all the businesses' in Boston tax breaks because they can create jobs also.

Why not lower real estate tax's for all property owners in Boston?

This is the problem with these leaders. They favor the corporate powerhouses that help them get elected but don't represent the actually working class people.

Maybe there should be a policy in place that companies which create local jobs get a tax break of some sort. I wouldn't be against it. If it can help the economic health of the area, I think it'd be a great idea. I think it'd also be a great idea to give tax breaks to startup companies, especially as they grow, in order to incentivize them to stay in the Boston area so we don't lose them to the SF Bay (Facebook, Dropbox, etc).

In regards to favoring corporate powerhouses, all leaders in every society in the history of mankind have favored those who can help them in some way. This shouldn't be a surprise. And anytime a politician plays the "working man" card, they're almost certainly doing it with their own interests in mind, not for some noble cause.

Maybe there should be a policy in place that companies which create local jobs get a tax break of some sort. I wouldn't be against it. If it can help the economic health of the area, I think it'd be a great idea. I think it'd also be a great idea to give tax breaks to startup companies, especially as they grow, in order to incentivize them to stay in the Boston area so we don't lose them to the SF Bay (Facebook, Dropbox, etc).

In regards to favoring corporate powerhouses, all leaders in every society in the history of mankind have favored those who can help them in some way. This shouldn't be a surprise. And anytime a politician plays the "working man" card, they're almost certainly doing it with their own interests in mind, not for some noble cause.

Seriously? Anybody that doesn't have a job that lives in around Boston is nothing more than LAZY.

We are in a point at history where the income inequality is a serious issue and will only get worse. By our leaders giving and focusing all the tax dollars on certain areas and only allowing those certain groups to benefit will continue to divide this nation very deeply into we have destroyed every aspect of what was left of capitalism. I believe its long gone at this point.

Residential property has higher municipal costs (schools, libraries, other government services) then commercial property.

That's why towns and cities with a large concentration of commercial properties tend to have lower taxes then surrounding cities/towns.

This logic seems reasonable, but I'm wondering why Boston's commercial property tax rate is more than twice as high than its residential one? Is it just because businesses can afford to pay more? I would think if businesses were using a lower proportion of the services that they would lobby to pay less into the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back