Amazon HQ2 RFP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone discussed the meltdown in Seattle over the disputed tax?

Amazon ready to halt ALL expansion in Seattle effective immediately (yeah sure)....

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/03/amazon-halts-seattle-expansion-over-city-tax-proposal/

Walsh, Golden, Curtatone and Baker need to get on a fugging plane.

This proposed levy is to aid the homeless. Seattle is averaging 10,000 new apartment units a year.

As we're back to Amazon, Montgomery County is economically stagnant, because, some assert, it discouraged new employers coming to the county.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...6d4bc32f223_story.html?utm_term=.d7cf3b331de6

Last edited:
There are other ways to ensure affordable housing besides build, build, build. like.. gasp... rent control, squatting and holding homes after evictions, tenant unions fighting evictions in the first place, etc. You ignore the possibility for action by anyone but the political and capitalist class. Displacement is class war and people will fight back.

Also these things just simply are not inevitable. They may be under neoliberal capitalism but they are ultimately choices. We structure our society in a certain way that makes it hard to see an alternative but it could be structured differently. Whenever you start acting like capitalism is just the way of nature you are preaching a market cult.

You’re going to be fun in a few decades when your economic views do a 180, you know that?

There are other ways to ensure affordable housing besides build, build, build. like.. gasp... rent control, squatting and holding homes after evictions, tenant unions fighting evictions in the first place, etc. You ignore the possibility for action by anyone but the political and capitalist class. Displacement is class war and people will fight back.

Also these things just simply are not inevitable. They may be under neoliberal capitalism but they are ultimately choices. We structure our society in a certain way that makes it hard to see an alternative but it could be structured differently. Whenever you start acting like capitalism is just the way of nature you are preaching a market cult.

So, basically theft. Got it.

I don't like people being displaced by high housing prices. What I'm saying is its inevitable. We can and should build affordable housing, .

I can deal with high housing prices if they grew naturally in a balanced economic climate. Even the majority Middle class families doing the right thing would benefit overtime because they could adjust with natural growth with time.

What is going on here is not natural.
State/city leaders pump billions of dollars in taxpayers resources in certain areas to create great infrastructure then subsidize billion dollar corporations to build in areas that is priceless real estate (then call it job creation) instead of letting market forces determining the value of the land.
When in reality it will increase the overall costs onto the taxpayers through Real estate tax, traffic jams, puts overall pressure on our existing infrastructure & city govt services.

I'm not against tax incentives if they justify the cause but the Seaport was all open land. Our political hacks need to get their zoning in line.

Our elected officials are corrupt idiots. I don't blame the corporations or the developers I blame our Political base for not representing the taxpayers and understanding the fruits of our labor. I'm not a republican but the Democrats seriously are their own worse enemy.

Last edited:
So, basically theft. Got it.

You could also say the current system is organized around theft of the value workers create. And you could easily characterize the corruption described by TheRifleman as theft. The only distinction is that one form of theft is currently legal, the other is not.

The problem with all of this is that it has no political support, because the majority of voters think its foolish - even the liberal ones. Unless you have a magic wand handy, you have a better chance of seeing God than re-imposing rent control. If you want to re-make society have at it, but that's going to take decades if not a century and in the meantime people will still be getting priced out of their homes. I prefer to focus on what's achievable in the time I have on Earth.

You could also say the current system is organized around theft of the value workers create. And you could easily characterize the corruption described by TheRifleman as theft. The only distinction is that one form of theft is currently legal, the other is not.

But they're workers, not slaves. And very well paid union workers create a lot of this value.

The problem with all of this is that it has no political support, because the majority of voters think its foolish - even the liberal ones. Unless you have a magic wand handy, you have a better chance of seeing God than re-imposing rent control. If you want to re-make society have at it, but that's going to take decades if not a century and in the meantime people will still be getting priced out of their homes. I prefer to focus on what's achievable in the time I have on Earth.
Hey Rover give Scooter a break. Zir is just trying to find zirself. Next week instead of identifying as a bolshevik Skippy will be identifying as maybe a polka dot zebra. So cute!

But they're workers, not slaves. And very well paid union workers create a lot of this value.

We are slaves:
When you have a Govt that can just print money backed by nothing of value and hand it out to the selected groups that they choose then claim they are creating jobs. That is slavery. The system has been compromised--- Only ignorant and uneducated people can't acknowledge this.

Also give those selected groups unlimited tax advantages over other groups is nothing more than stealing.

This scenario only destroys hardworking families because it puts mounted pressure on them financially bailing out the entitled inept nonproductive morons.

I never called them slaves, and I wasn't talking about construction jobs. Just jobs. And how have those been doing?

chart.gif

Hey Rover give Scooter a break. Zir is just trying to find zirself. Next week instead of identifying as a bolshevik Skippy will be identifying as maybe a polka dot zebra. So cute!

Zir

This conversation has nothing to do with trans people. This is what happens when right-wing fanatics start punching left nowadays. Literal hate speech.

I never called them slaves, and I wasn't talking about construction jobs. Just jobs. And how have those been doing?

chart.gif

Zir

This conversation has nothing to do with trans people. This is what happens when right-wing fanatics start punching left nowadays. Literal hate speech.

It was certainly sophomoric, but calling it hate speech? Its almost like bith sides are just trying to rachet up the rhetoric.

We can at least agree that it was intended to be disparaging and has no place here.

Look, we get it Brad. The world is changing in ways that are frightening and uncomfortable to you. This is natural, and will likely happen to the younger among us someday. But go ahead and keep it to yourself so you don't embarrass yourself on the internet, where everything is forever.

It was certainly sophomoric, but calling it hate speech? Its almost like bith sides are just trying to rachet up the rhetoric.

I'm not trying to ratchet it up. It's hate speech. He said being a trans person is as ridiculous as choosing to identify as a polka dot zebra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back